Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   'Classic neighbour from hell' who idles truck prompts bylaw review (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=332965)

ETOWNCANUCK 11-07-2017 11:21 AM

'Classic neighbour from hell' who idles truck prompts bylaw review

And it's a Dodge go figure. Just not a black dually.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...s-bylaw-review

Twisted Canuck 11-07-2017 11:36 AM

Yup, it sucks to have neighbors like that. Trust me, I know. My neighbor from hell doesn't clean up after his Lab all winter, and in the spring when the snow melts I have a pond of dog poop next to my house that reeks beyond belief. Then, they don't mow their lawn all summer, till the weeds are growing up 5' tall along their house, and my fence. My allergies really enjoy that. Bylaw has been involved a number of times. His response is to use his snow blower to pile his snow in front of my driveway. He also likes to run his sump hose so it shoots under my fence. And yes, he is also an idler (although he only has a Nissan Titan, he did make the effort to put straight pipes on it, and idles it from 5 AM until he leaves at 5:45...with a gas engine). Really?

The world is full of these hateful people. When we had a 'discussion' about some of his habits, his answer was 'Well, some people have different standards, doesn't make mine wrong.....'.

Not from Alberta, this family of hateful people. Not that it makes a difference I suppose.

gmcmax05 11-07-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK (Post 3662130)
And it's a Dodge go figure. Just not a black dually.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...s-bylaw-review

Nothing a few litres of DEF in the fuel tank wouldn't take care of:fighting0074:

Bassett 11-07-2017 12:34 PM

Under the decibel level... no idle law... what a waste of time that article was. Guess what? My diesel is running for 20 minutes every winter morning to, with high idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HunterDave 11-07-2017 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bassett (Post 3662180)
Under the decibel level... no idle law... what a waste of time that article was. Guess what? My diesel is running for 20 minutes every winter morning to, with high idle.

I'm curious as to why you think that you need to idle it for 20 minutes to warm it up.

Newview01 11-07-2017 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterDave (Post 3662184)
I'm curious as to why you think that you need to idle it for 20 minutes to warm it up.

So it is warm inside. I like getting into a warm truck. Maybe doesn't take 20 minutes, 10-15 is usually good.

sparky660 11-07-2017 01:14 PM

'Classic neighbour from hell' who idles truck prompts bylaw review

Quote:

Which I don't think is unreasonable but I'm sure there are winners out there that idle them hours those are the ones that will ultimately ruin it for everyone.

jstubbs 11-07-2017 01:18 PM

Quote:

Malloy said she and the neighbour have had several run-ins over the last four years and now both have restraining orders against each other.
Seems to me there's more to this story than just one neighbour being an arse and excessively idling his truck. I assume he does it out of passive-aggressive spite due to past issues rather than anything else.

However, idling for more than 10 minutes is completely excessive. I own a diesel, and I'll let it sit in elevated idle for a few minutes to get the fluids moving and initially warmed up a bit, but after that easy driving is going to make it warm up a lot faster, and supposedly causes less wear on the engine.

Want to jump into a warm cab? Store it in a heated garage, or install a Webasto, or buy a gas truck. It's morons spending 45 minutes every morning running their trucks that gives diesel owners a bad name, and is going to lead to the government cracking down (in the form of bylaw fines as seen here, or province wide "health" related idling restrictions). As usual, it's a small minority ruining it for the rest of us.

deerhunter 11-07-2017 01:21 PM

This summer when its going to be a real hot week get a dead pig hang it by your fence get a good fan and blow it his way.I told my neighbour if they ever come out and light a green one on their deck again to excpect this to happen to them.Guess what? never had a problem since that little chat

:sHa_shakeshout:

CMichaud 11-07-2017 01:25 PM

Goes back to being considerate. Most people have the right up-bringing but there are many who do not. I always tell my son to be considerate of others and think about how his actions will impact others.

Sadly it is not just the younger generation that have the vice of entitlement and the "me and mine first" attitude - you see and hear it from all age groups.

bat119 11-07-2017 01:39 PM

Has to warm for 1/2 hour and can't be shut off if you get it going.

I could see that being annoying during the boom days here in Lloyd if you stopped at 7-11 in the morning there 5-10 diesels clacking, pinging, stinking, and blowing black smoke. To make it worse they have stupid loud mufflers and stacks ?? on some them. Its all quiet now though the banks have most of them returned.

guysmiley 11-07-2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMichaud (Post 3662213)
Goes back to being considerate. Most people have the right up-bringing but there are many who do not. I always tell my son to be considerate of others and think about how his actions will impact others.

Sadly it is not just the younger generation that have the vice of entitlement and the "me and mine first" attitude - you see and hear it from all age groups.

Completely agree. The fact that they both have restraining orders against each other suggests that being "considerate" may be a lesson they should both learn. I would be willing to be that there is more to this story.

panamajr 11-07-2017 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newview01 (Post 3662203)
So it is warm inside. I like getting into a warm truck. Maybe doesn't take 20 minutes, 10-15 is usually good.

i run mine for at least 20min in the winter
and if i am moving this around my yard ill leave it running for an hour or more
its a diesel takes longer to warm up

sewerrat 11-07-2017 02:27 PM

It must be a special option for diesel to get a block heater in stalled huh?

ren008 11-07-2017 03:10 PM

I don't known these people's history but I can sympathize with the lady on the idling issue. Dealt with the same thing years back for several months with a very similar sounding d-bag neighbor who ran his straightpiped diesel for an hour ever morning from 5ish to 6am and it was the worst thing ever. I think people don't realize how awful it gets day in and out to be disrupted by that kind of noise and vibration at that hour, just about drove me insane and no eagplugs don't work for the kind of noise and vibrations we are talking about.

I would take a drug house next door before living next to that again.

Scott h 11-07-2017 03:18 PM

Quote:

I guess there is a difference between what you can legally do and what is considerate for others. Reminds me of my old neighbor that was just complaining about her new neighbors that insisted on smoking weed right beside her deck and under her kitchen window.

coastalhunter 11-07-2017 03:28 PM

This is why I live on a 1/4....

Bigrib 11-07-2017 03:36 PM

How about the guy who had a breathalyzer installed on his truck so he wouldn't drive impaired. HIs solution was to be sober , start his truck , then start boozing and leave his truck running for days :thinking-006: and drive drunk as a skunk

Bassett 11-07-2017 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterDave (Post 3662184)

Engine operating temperature?

Bassett 11-07-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott h (Post 3662274)
I guess there is a difference between what you can legally do and what is considerate for others. Reminds me of my old neighbor that was just complaining about her new neighbors that insisted on smoking weed right beside her deck and under her kitchen window.

Except weed is still illegal and people idling their trucks is not.

Okotokian 11-07-2017 04:51 PM

Inconsiderate morons everywhere.

kw12 11-07-2017 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okotokian (Post 3662327)

X2

pikergolf 11-07-2017 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okotokian (Post 3662327)

X3 People are only concerned about themselves. Can not complain to much, my generation raised these selfish drips.

Newview01 11-07-2017 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigrib (Post 3662287)
How about the guy who had a breathalyzer installed on his truck so he wouldn't drive impaired. HIs solution was to be sober , start his truck , then start boozing and leave his truck running for days :thinking-006: and drive drunk as a skunk

I call BS. Pretty sure you need to blow at various intervals.

wags 11-07-2017 05:21 PM

Quote:

You da man!

67ZL1 11-07-2017 05:34 PM

Not sure the idling law would apply here if there was one. This guy is on private property. However buddy could back his truck into his driveway to calm the wench down. FWIW I warm my diesel truck every morning for 20-30 minutes till it reaches 130-140*F.

Nester 11-07-2017 05:39 PM

Malloy said she and the neighbour have had several run-ins over the last four years and now both have restraining orders against each other.

End of story. An idling truck........oh my :rolleye2:

kevinhits 11-07-2017 05:48 PM

I have heard loud diesels running for quite awhile in the morning and yes, it has and does **** me off as well!

TylerThomson 11-07-2017 06:25 PM

I drive an old 7.3. If I lived in town it would stink out an entire block until it warmed up and driving it cold is a good way to blow high pressure oil lines. Which reminds me my upgraded lines came in i need to put those in.

Hooter 11-07-2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bassett (Post 3662313)
Except weed is still illegal and people idling their trucks is not.

But it should be....