Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Bought a fly tying kit today! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=181293)

Chief16 06-09-2013 11:23 PM

Bought a fly tying kit today!

Picked up a cheap kit from canadian tire today to start tying flies with. I guess i would finally have to admit to being addicted to this sport if I am going this far! Havent tied any yet but hopefully tomorrow and get a couple out on the water![IMG]http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...8/flytying.jpg[/IMG]

pikergolf 06-09-2013 11:40 PM

Go get em!!!!!!!!!!!!

chriscosta 06-10-2013 12:34 AM

im gettin one too looks like allot of fun plus i look at my little fly box and its got like 300 bucks sittin in it im sure itll pay for itself in time you tube has some great tying videos btw

slivers86 06-10-2013 01:48 AM

Welcome to sleepless nights due to intense sessions of fly tying... Grab a beer, a good movie or sporting event, and your vice :)

Enjoy!

chucky 06-10-2013 03:33 PM

Another addiction starting!
You should check Davie McPhail on youtube, I learned a lot looking at his videos.
It's great to catch a fish with a fly you tied yourself :)

Calgaryguy1977 06-10-2013 03:49 PM

Start with chironomids and wooly buggers.....easy and you should catch lots with em! I love it too.....soo rewarding. I catch almost all my fish on flies ive tied nowadays!

Calgaryguy1977 06-10-2013 03:49 PM

How did u do at chain?....was the water dirty?

MtnGiant 06-10-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucky (Post 1998563)
Another addiction starting!
You should check Davie McPhail on youtube, I learned a lot looking at his videos.
It's great to catch a fish with a fly you tied yourself :)

X2
Davie McPhail is awesome and learned a lot from him as well.

Chief16 06-10-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 (Post 1998577)
How did u do at chain?....was the water dirty?

I didn't end up going to chain, the rain was coming in and the girlfriend didn't want to melt ;) haha I hit the bow instead at policemen flats but got skunked regardless. Thanks for the starter advice! Tried to tie one today and is a lot harder than I thought! I defiantly will stick with it though

Lornce 06-10-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtnGiant (Post 1998582)
X2
Davie McPhail is awesome and learned a lot from him as well.

He was at the Fly fishing expo this year, a real gentleman. Spent some time tying with him, he is a real gentleman.

MtnGiant 06-10-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lornce (Post 1998730)
He was at the Fly fishing expo this year, a real gentleman. Spent some time tying with him, he is a real gentleman.

Oh you lucky dog Lornce....I'm jealous.

Now I'm really ticked off I missed the expo :mad3:

Fish along 06-10-2013 09:23 PM

It's not that hard you just need to practice, you also have to remember that you only have a beginners kit, and most guys who tie flys and have done it for a long time would find it hard to tie with just a beginners kit, because it's just basic material and tools,my advice is to learn how to do basic flys first,like wire worms and chrominids and you will be on your way .good luck.

Chief16 06-10-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish along (Post 1998972)
It's not that hard you just need to practice, you also have to remember that you only have a beginners kit, and most guys who tie flys and have done it for a long time would find it hard to tie with just a beginners kit, because it's just basic material and tools,my advice is to learn how to do basic flys first,like wire worms and chrominids and you will be on your way .good luck.

That is a very good point, thanks for the encouragement!

Calgaryguy1977 06-10-2013 09:59 PM

I cant stress the Chironomid enough either...its soo simple but you can make them more and more complex and you can catch fish on em just about anywhere and anytime of the year....well just about!

32-40win 06-11-2013 11:08 AM

Now come the trips to the flyshops looking for materials. They're only 2-5.00 a package, and come in lots of pretty colours, and some of each type and size of hook, as you try out new flies on the different hooks they require.
And the beads, and the cone heads, and the neat tools.:)

qualityknots 06-11-2013 11:13 AM

Awesome, have fun!

Saw that kit as well, how is the quality of the tools and vice?

crawad 06-11-2013 11:13 AM

been tying for26 yrs and still learning, highly recommend joining a fly tying club if theres one around you, you'll learn some of the tricks to make things easier. open up a bank acct that ur wife or gf can't c cuz if not ur gonna have some explaining to do! haha.....it can get expensive and addictive. enjoy

Chief16 06-11-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawad (Post 1999534)
been tying for26 yrs and still learning, highly recommend joining a fly tying club if theres one around you, you'll learn some of the tricks to make things easier. open up a bank acct that ur wife or gf can't c cuz if not ur gonna have some explaining to do! haha.....it can get expensive and addictive. enjoy

Only 18 so no wife yet! Haha I will look into a club, for sure a good idea.

The tools are ok, the bobbin holder is pretty tight and doesn't spin very well, but it is cheap and you get what you pay for. Also cannot figure out the whipper finisher but that's my fault, nothing to do with quality haha

rycoma 06-11-2013 03:11 PM

put some wax on the thread spool right where the bobin sits that will help. Don't worry about the whip finisher it will come in time besides its easier then how I was taught and that was by hand.

slivers86 06-14-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 (Post 1998576)
Start with chironomids and wooly buggers.....easy and you should catch lots with em! I love it too.....soo rewarding. I catch almost all my fish on flies ive tied nowadays!

took me a while to log back in and check back, but I couldn't agree more.
small black/red chironomids with the white bead head, and some nice bugger/leach patterns were great for me starting. Can also get into some nice sized cutts on easy patterns that way too, which will make you an addict that much quicker!

Enjoy!

VanIsleGuy 06-14-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief16 (Post 1999608)
the bobbin holder is pretty tight and doesn't spin very well

http://http://www.flyanglersonline.com/alcampbell/ac051302.php

VanCarper 06-14-2013 05:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Do any of you guys tie Viceless or in hand tying? It's all I do. Never owned a vice and can tie pretty decent flies that catch me fish. All I need is a bobbin holder.

I x2 the chronies and woolly buggers. Tie buggers in sizes 4-14 in black, brown, tan, green, white, orange and olive and you'll be good to go. Probably the best searching pattern about.

Lornce 06-14-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanCarper (Post 2003717)
Do any of you guys tie Viceless or in hand tying? It's all I do. Never owned a vice and can tie pretty decent flies that catch me fish. All I need is a bobbin holder.

Its actually how I was taught how to tie in hte early 60's. both Dad and Gramps tied that way. I got my first vice in the late 60's. Still tie the odd one the old way but far prefer a vice. These old hands aren't what they usto be.

MtnGiant 06-14-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanCarper (Post 2003717)

I x2 the chronies and woolly buggers. Tie buggers in sizes 4-14 in black, brown, tan, green, white, orange and olive and you'll be good to go. Probably the best searching pattern about.

Thats very impressive and I'm sure a lost art these days

fishstix 06-15-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief16 (Post 1999608)
Only 18 so no wife yet! Hahl look into a club, for sure a good idea.

The tools are ok, the bobbin holder is pretty tight and doesn't spin very well, but it is cheap and you get what you pay for. Also cannot figure out the whipper finisher but that's my fault, nothing to do with quality haha

Just lightly bend your bobbin holder by hand.

Calgaryguy1977 06-15-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishstix (Post 2004267)

Agreed, I had to do the same

Chief16 06-15-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishstix (Post 2004267)

Ya haha I guess that would of been a smart thing to do at the start!