Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Silly question: Do businesses make money off of issuing fishing licences? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=340979)

pinelakeperch 03-12-2018 04:04 PM

Silly question: Do businesses make money off of issuing fishing licences?

I've always wondered this, and figured someone on here would know. Curious as to whether I should bother going out of my way to go to a small family owned place to get my licence, or just to CT. I assume the incentive for the retailer would be getting the customers in their store, but I thought they perhaps received a small percentage.

bobalong 03-12-2018 04:12 PM

They make very little compared to the time it takes to process them. Most retailers that sell them, sell outdoor gear as well and sell them for the spin-off sales it generates in the store.

muzzy 03-13-2018 11:58 AM

Not sure about Alberta but when I outfitted for bears in Manitoba years ago they paid us 50 cents a licence sold. Doubt they get very much at all

RavYak 03-13-2018 01:35 PM

I can't remember if it is a percentage or a certain amount per license but it doesn't amount to much and they often take more time then they are worth. I think they have to pay to even be able to sell licenses though so good to support a small store if they offer it and aren't too busy when you are there.

tallieho 03-13-2018 03:32 PM

my last year in which i need a licence..Anybody see them for sale & the Ab.fishing guide mag...The one The late Barry Mitchell used to publish....Soory for the hack...

Wes_G 03-13-2018 10:51 PM

Yes, but it doesn't even cover the wages of the employee that has to stand at the machine to sell it to you.

fordtruckin 03-14-2018 10:34 AM

Here in Montana they get paid pennies on the dollar for it. I forget how much it
Is but for something like a snowmobile trail ps which costs 18$ for a resident or 25$ for a non resident I believe statute allows for 2$ per pass.

Bushmaster 03-14-2018 11:45 AM

Back in the '80,s I sold fishing licenses. Paid $4.50 and sold them for $5.00. Not sure how its done these days.

Bushleague 03-14-2018 12:15 PM

The fishing shop in High Prairie quit selling licences because the guy who owned it swore he lost money on them. Of course when one is at a fishing store and they direct you to the gas station to purchase a licence, one just tends to buy their bait at the gas station as well...

kevinhits 03-14-2018 04:06 PM

It is like selling lottery and having a post office instore....Make very little money but brings customers in to buy other merchandise.....

saddleup 03-14-2018 04:43 PM

Used to sell fishing/hunting lic.back in the late 60s, got .25cents per lic, but on the plus side got to meet a lot of people, some celebs because I am down on here on the 49th us/can border. Bing Crosby, Phil Silvers, Willie, Kris Krostofferson are a few that come to mind. Great days...