Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Flies for brookies (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=136727)

Chris5672 06-10-2012 10:38 PM

Flies for brookies

Hey i was wondering if someone could tell me some flies to use for brookies this time of the year

kinwahkly 06-10-2012 10:44 PM

Leeches, buggers,streamers, nymphs such as Hares ears and pheasant tails.

Albertafisher 06-10-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinwahkly (Post 1473989)
Leeches, buggers,streamers, nymphs such as Hares ears and pheasant tails.

2X all I would add is Evil Weevils

quiteeye 06-10-2012 10:49 PM

I've used muddler minnows, mic fin and doc sprattler. I've only ever caught a couple
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._3313718_n.jpg

tight line 06-11-2012 10:52 AM

x3

nice brookies!

quiteeye 06-11-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tight line (Post 1474500)
x3

nice brookies!

Thanks! That was last summer. Gonna get some big ones this year I hope!

biggamehunter 06-11-2012 11:25 AM

streamers in yellow orange and red pushed across the bottom.

fishman 06-11-2012 12:52 PM

When a brookie is two years old he has the taste for minnows so thatis a big part of thier diet but at times they like other things......early spring and fall...dragonfly nymphs work well.........fall backswimmers...........minnows spawn in june and july so minnow patterns.....i have caught them on shrimp patterns, mayfly nymph and other things.........so in my fly box for brookies i would have..........leach patterns and black seems to work the best but i like a small one with a white head......green wooley bugger can be taken as anything from a dragon to a leach and of course i have my minnow patterns i would say i fish 3/4 of the times

Trout Addict 06-11-2012 12:55 PM

Last lake I trolled and stripped an ultimate boatman on a full sink line, anytime I came across fish on the finder I would have a bite or fish on

Great day, loved the foam!

fishman 06-11-2012 02:33 PM

[QUOTE=Trout Addict;1474650]Last lake I trolled and stripped an ultimate boatman on a full sink line, anytime I came across fish on the finder I would have a bite or fish on

Great day, loved the foam![/QUOTE

where u fishing a boatman or where u fishing a backswimmer............i have never caught them on a boatmen and it seems even usuing a backswimmer they can be very picky where one lake it works and another naaaaaaa i fished a lake by whitecourt for over 30 years with brookies in it and i maybe caught a hand full of fish usuing a backswimmer

densa44 06-11-2012 03:09 PM

Ah brookies

It takes me back, coachman, royal coachman, silver doctor, all wet and for drys in Alberta, elk hair caddis. Sometimes if you see a real one, a yellow sally will work too. Catarct creek or Lynx near the ram river are good in Alberta. Once you see a grasshopper, they will trump everything!

I'm not an expert with nymphs, but some of the fellow members are and their advice would be good.

Trout Addict 06-11-2012 06:23 PM

It was a Jennings Ultimate boatman, couldn't keep them off

I'm sure it depends on the lake but they loved it

[QUOTE=fishman;1474750]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trout Addict (Post 1474650)
Last lake I trolled and stripped an ultimate boatman on a full sink line, anytime I came across fish on the finder I would have a bite or fish on

Great day, loved the foam![/QUOTE

where u fishing a boatman or where u fishing a backswimmer............i have never caught them on a boatmen and it seems even usuing a backswimmer they can be very picky where one lake it works and another naaaaaaa i fished a lake by whitecourt for over 30 years with brookies in it and i maybe caught a hand full of fish usuing a backswimmer