Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Pike slime (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=1916)

Pike slime 03-10-2007 10:58 PM

Pike slime

Was out today with the kids, and each one of them brought home a pike for mom. Got them home and were they ever covered with slime. Anyone got any tips on how to reduce the amount of slime on these guys, should you decide to keep the odd one for supper? Thanks for the advice!!

huntercam 03-10-2007 11:54 PM

What we do is bring a large tub or a cooler and bring them home alive and then there will be a reduced amount of slime no slime:D Fill the tub all day to keep them fresh and keep the water from freezeing

willy 03-10-2007 11:55 PM

illegal huntercam

You cant transport the fish alive to take home.
Possess live GAME FISH unless the fish have been lawfully caught by angling and are within 100 m of the waters from which they were caught.

grandslamer1 03-11-2007 01:46 AM

Re: illegal huntercam

sprinkle salt on them and wipe it off with paper towel.

Roebag 03-11-2007 09:41 AM

Pour some vinegar in the water. 1/2 to 1 cup usually is lots, then place your hand around the fish and slide it down the length of the fish. Once you've done each fish change out your water and they should be good.

Home Wreaker 03-11-2007 10:09 AM

Catch and release

re 03-11-2007 10:29 AM

re

Just wipe em off with an old rag And if you can, when you catch em, bury them in the snow. It stops them from freezing on a cold day. THe longer you keep them in a plastic bag, the more slime you will have as well

101sonny 03-11-2007 10:43 AM

I (USE) to wrap them up in news paper just before the ride home .:)

tuffyy 03-11-2007 03:54 PM

The best thing that I find if you should decide to keep Pike is to keep them dry,and away from water.Any moisture will cause the fish to expell the slime even more,diddo on walleye also.I spotted a guy last summer well at my cabin at shaws with 3 walleyes that were dripping slime,he seemed to be convinced the walleye were naturally slimey.I asked him if he had them in water,yep!!!I told him that just made them slimey for him.I dont think he ever did that again....

jrs 03-11-2007 04:20 PM

I always wipe them down with snow (immediatly after gutting) and fillet them as soon as i get home (in accordance with the regs). Slime seems to be less common and easier to deal with. Plastic bags or keeping them in water is the worst. We catch them salvaging canals sometimes, if 3 or 4 pike make up your limit of 20 sportfish the entire fish bin will be a solid blob of slime when getting home for processing. Whitefish without pike seem to keep the water pretty fresh. The newspaper works good as well.

huntercam 03-11-2007 08:02 PM

oops sorry for the bad advice i better do some more reading i thought for some reason you could tranport leagal fish home in a live well once again thanks for the correction guys

Cam

re 03-11-2007 10:24 PM

re

I always clean my pike on newspaper, it stops them sliding around all over the place!! Never thought to wrap them in it though, I will definately try this-- even though the slime doesn't bother me too much.