Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I was reported as a poacher (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=382586)

Fishingforjoy 06-02-2020 10:39 PM

I was reported as a poacher

Went back from shore fishing whites from McGregor today. I got a call from a fish and wildlife officer. He said he wants to meet me and ask questions. Meeting him about 10 minutes after the call. He said someone reported me keeping 4 pikes. The people said they saw that I brought the fish back to my car and dropped the fish(pikes) on the ground. They also reported I was using multiple rods. How could you shore fishing white by using more than 2 rods? Nonsense!! I did not even caught a pike today!! I kept one fish today for supper, and gave the rest to my friends. I provided my friend's name and contacts to the officer for verification.
I showed the picture of the fish I caught to the officer, also showed all the set up, my gears too.
I understood that the officer was doing his job, and I cooperating with his investigation. But I can not understand how could the people made up such funny story? Are they sick? They ruined my day!!

Bush 06-02-2020 10:48 PM

I was reported as a poacher

Ok.... so you caught fish of some kind using 2 rods, I’m sure you can only use 1 rod on open water.....you gave fish to your friend, I’m pretty sure you can NOT give away or sell fish.... your name is fishing for joy, do you realize you can’t fish for anyone either? Now joy is going to be in trouble too because you told the officer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishingforjoy 06-02-2020 10:55 PM

[QUOTE=Bush;4180568]Ok.... so you caught fish of some kind using 2 rods, I’m sure you can only use 1 rod on open water.....you gave fish to your friend, I’m pretty sure you can NOT give away or sell fish.... your name is fishing for joy, do you realize you can’t fish for anyone either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I used one rod all the time!!! I gave the fish to my friends after went back home.

huntsfurfish 06-02-2020 11:18 PM

It is possible that they saw you catch and keep the 4 fish(whitefish) and just assumed they were pike.

And yes you can give away fish as long as you are not over the limit. They do count toward your limit though.

As for the rod issue, that may be an enhancement on their part or not I dont know.

huntsfurfish 06-02-2020 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bush (Post 4180568)
Ok.... so you caught fish of some kind using 2 rods, I’m sure you can only use 1 rod on open water.....you gave fish to your friend, I’m pretty sure you can NOT give away or sell fish.... your name is fishing for joy, do you realize you can’t fish for anyone either? Now joy is going to be in trouble too because you told the officer

Yes, you can give fish away, but not sell them.

Fishingforjoy 06-03-2020 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntsfurfish (Post 4180585)
It is possible that they saw you catch and keep the 4 fish(whitefish) and just assumed they were pike.

And yes you can give away fish as long as you are not over the limit. They do count toward your limit though.

As for the rod issue, that may be an enhancement on their part or not I dont know.

First I did not keep any other fish except whitefish under the limit
Second I only used one rod,
Third, I did not drop fish on the ground

The reporter just made the story up:test:

58thecat 06-03-2020 06:11 AM

You do know that as soon as you post you will have the third degree.....best just in some cases not to....just look at the whole experience as lesson send learned....and it was good that the fish cops followed up on a complaint....that's a good thing.

WayneChristie 06-03-2020 07:11 AM

you proved you were in the right, let it slide. maybe they were seeing someone else who knows. better to be reported and innocent at least someone is watching our fish. I was reported a few years ago too when I was tagging sturgeon with a research license that let me start fishing the river at the beginning of April instead of May 8. I was actually happy someone called me in, it meant someone was concerned. Plus I got to meet them eventually they are local ranchers and we got to know each other, got me more permissions on more river :sHa_shakeshout:

SNAPFisher 06-03-2020 07:43 AM

So how did this ruin your day?

Could happen to anyone really.

raw outdoors 06-03-2020 08:03 AM

People that reported you probably had a cooler full of walleye and they got a clean break because the only fish and wildlife officer in the county was dealing with you.

Fishingforjoy 06-03-2020 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNAPFisher (Post 4180645)
So how did this ruin your day?

Could happen to anyone really.

Everyone could report someone if you suspected. I am not afraid of checking by fishing cop. If you reported someone, you should tell the truth not making something up. If they suspected that I kept the whitefish as pike, that is understandable, but they said I droped the fish on the ground which never happened, also they said I used multiple rods which also not true

mtnhunter 06-03-2020 08:21 AM

Sorry to hear this happened. Stressful experience to say the least when someone wrongly accuses you.

Positrac 06-03-2020 08:21 AM

Sounds like maybe you were fishing in their spot. I wouldn’t put it past some people to call you in just to put a foul taste in your mouth and maybe get you to not come back. People can be very protective over areas, whether fishing or hunting, that they want for themselves.

lyallpeder 06-03-2020 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Positrac (Post 4180668)
Sounds like maybe you were fishing in their spot. I wouldn’t put it past some people to call you in just to put a foul taste in your mouth and maybe get you to not come back. People can be very protective over areas, whether fishing or hunting, that they want for themselves.

That’s my guess too.

If you were within the regulations try not to let it bother you and carry on. I’m glad to see F&W responding to a tip even if it is fraudulent.

thorne 06-03-2020 09:18 AM

Just curious....How did the officer get your number to call you??

Fishingforjoy 06-03-2020 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorne (Post 4180706)
Just curious....How did the officer get your number to call you??

I believed that my license plate number was reported, then the office found out. Only 2 vehicles in the parking lot yesterday

fisher Gord 06-03-2020 09:41 AM

There are people out there who will call F&G and RCMP to harass legal hunters/anglers to get them to move. Picture of your vehicle license plate gets F&G, RCs your name, phone#. It takes awhile before they have enough false calls to prove harassment and a couple other criminal charges but they will, so stay legal, keep fishing and enjoy the conversation with the officer. you will get the last laugh.

wildwoods 06-03-2020 09:44 AM

Sorry to hear this. Don't let it bother you too much. Good job catching whites from shore too! Congrats and keep going!

HuyFishin 06-03-2020 09:57 AM

Atleast you know the snitch line works haha

CNP 06-03-2020 10:02 AM

Someone who knows next to nothing about fishing and looking for a reward from RAP. Probably someone who frequents AO :thinking-006:

WayneChristie 06-03-2020 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNP (Post 4180756)
Someone who knows next to nothing about fishing and looking for a reward from RAP. Probably someone who frequents AO :thinking-006:

wasnt me, honest!!! :bad_boys_20: when I got called in I even thanked the ranchers who called on me, they had no way of knowing I was fishing under a research license so Im glad they did!

SNAPFisher 06-03-2020 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishingforjoy (Post 4180661)
Everyone could report someone if you suspected. I am not afraid of checking by fishing cop. If you reported someone, you should tell the truth not making something up. If they suspected that I kept the whitefish as pike, that is understandable, but they said I droped the fish on the ground which never happened, also they said I used multiple rods which also not true

So let them report it. It is not like it happens every day right? You can't control what other people do in something like this. Especially when you had no idea. Could happen again, probably not...hopefully not. Some people are just _icks.

stob 06-03-2020 08:02 PM

don't worry, there will be a karmic balancing

Fishwhere 06-04-2020 12:48 PM

Like other people said, they assumed that you were catching pike because pretty rare to see people getting open water whitefish, especially from shore.

The rod part sucks a bit for sure. But kind of good the people called it in even though it was an inconvenience. If i was a ways away i would not assume someone was getting whites that often. But i would confirm first. But to each their own. Try not to let it wreck having been successful for whites! Congrats on that!

Fishingforjoy 06-04-2020 08:09 PM

Thanks everyone. Just let it be. Hope you enjoy the summer also enjoy the fishing!!

slabm7 06-05-2020 07:47 AM

Definitely an inconvenience but glad to hear it all worked out for you! It’s also great to see that people are keeping an eye out for people not following regulations. Honest fisherman should welcome visits from F&W and be happy they are out following up. All of us enjoy fishing and the outdoors and it’s F&W job to ensure there is a good fish population for our younger generations.

hawk-i 06-05-2020 08:51 AM

In BC they have closures to fishing for salmon on some rivers but still allow the FN's to put out nets.

Can someone please explain how this helps one iota for conservation of fish stocks?

Just curious. :thinking-006: