Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Semi-Auto Hunting Rifles (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=287803)

sluggun 05-03-2016 04:19 PM

Semi-Auto Hunting Rifles

I have been thinking about getting a hunting rifle to replace my old Marlin 336 and I was wondering about some of the offerings that are semi automatic. It seems like almost everything is bolt action. That makes sense from a reliability standpoint, but, I am still kind of thinking I want something for a faster follow up shot.

What are any opinions on the semi automatics currently on the market?

I really don't want something that looks too "assault rifle". Not that it is so important to me, but, governments have a tendency to want to put yet more regulations on such things.

I am thinking about the Remington 750 in 30-06.

tikka250 05-03-2016 04:32 PM

Although it may be a little on the "tactical" side i used my norinco m14 for mule does this year and it worked like a charm. On the non tactical end of things a browning BAR might be worth looking into.

Ronji 05-03-2016 04:33 PM

Semi-Auto

I have owned a Remington Model 4 in 270 win. I have owned it since '85.
It has a 4x Bausch and Lomb scope on it since day one.
I cannot begin to count how many deer, moose, elk, wolf, cougar, coyotes it has taken down since I bought it.
I have owned approximately 40 other rifles of different makes and calibers.
This is my go to gun. It has never let me down, never jammed, and it has taken down animals ranged out to 611 yards.
People say they are inaccurate, I say screw em' Proof is in my deep freeze or hanging on my walls.
Best advise is to keep her clean, and do not run any overly "hot" hand loads as the brass will fail on the rims.

Homesteader 05-03-2016 04:55 PM

The all time best semi auto hunting rifle is a Remington 7600 Pump :)

The BAR's are ok, but most are on the heavy side, accuracy can range from good, to worse. Do you love cleaning overly complicated guns? Do you reload, if so, you'll very likely need small base dies to ensure function. If you absolutely have to have a semi, I'd go BAR, or Benelli. The 7600 is better then both, and has the Fudd factor in spades. Also probably wont be on the Liberals list of hatred.

The 7600 triggers, can be tuned pretty nice as well, try tuning a semi's trigger.

Oh ps, if you still can't tell what I think, get a 7600.

elkhunter11 05-03-2016 05:22 PM

If you are thinking about the follow up shot before you shoot, you are not overly confident that you can get the job done with the first shot. As for bolt actions, you might be surprised at how quickly a person can get an aimed second shot away. Just keep the rifle shouldered and cycle the bolt as you recover from the recoil.

I have had little experience with Remington semi autos, but it was all negative, either the accuracy was very poor, or they were unreliable. I did own a Browning BAR Mark II in 7mmremmag, and it cycled fine right up until I wanted a follow up shot on a moose in freezing rain. The person that I sold it to had a similar experience, and he also sold it.

sns2 05-03-2016 05:43 PM

I also had a Browning Bar in 30-06. I didn't get rid of it because it was too reliable or accurate. Enough said.

Get a good bolt action and you will never regret it.

260 Rem 05-03-2016 05:51 PM

I'm on board with recommending the Rem pump as they are very fast and reasonably accurate. My brother used one for years and often fired a warning shot:)

ForwardBias 05-03-2016 05:52 PM

Bolts are a nice light weight reliable hunting tool.

Scotty454 05-03-2016 08:02 PM

The Benelli R1 is another option to consider. I've never shot one, but I own a Benelli MR1 (.223/5.56), and they use the same A.R.G.O gas system (Which is also shared by their semi shotguns). Mine has been super reliable. They're a little odd looking, but very ergonomic.

fps plus 05-03-2016 08:09 PM

I have stripped the BAR ,Remington and the Benelli

The Remington is not in the same league for quality of parts and machining as the BAR and Benelli.

I have personally owned a BAR and it was a damn accurate reliable gun . I don't even know if Browning still makes the BAR ?

So if I personally was going to chose it would be between the BAR and Benelli .If the BAR is no longer available I would chose the Benelli.

Go for it . I was a total die hard bolt guy but I did grow fond of that damn BAR after I gave it a try .

Good luck with your choice

ps the down side to semi autos is you are relying on them to to function and sooner or later ,for whatever reason they will fail.

Flieguy 05-03-2016 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 260 Rem (Post 3220326)
I'm on board with recommending the Rem pump as they are very fast and reasonably accurate. My brother used one for years and often fired a warning shot:)

Big fan, I have a model 14 and I used to have a 7600 in 243. Wish I had another 7600, super accurate and quick rifle. Only thing is the magazines can need a little work to function flawlessly.

if you actually want a semi auto there's always the 7400/740

D4l3k 05-03-2016 08:55 PM

I have a bar in 338 winmag , it is a great quality rifle and fairly accurate at 100yard
But bit it is a heavy gun to lug around the bush

If you walk lots in the bush hunting it can be cumbersome

I also missed out on a nice buck because I racked back the bolt in excitement, it picked up the round but i must have not pulled it back enuf, didn't set the sear to the trigger so when I pulled the trigger nothing happened
I thought the safety was on

Looked down at it and the buck was gone

It had never happened to me before with this rifle either :\

Switched over to my Browning xbolt in 25-06 as my go to rifle, and like it much better for bush hunting

I'll keep the 338 bar for some kind of safari hunt one day

JD848 05-03-2016 10:19 PM

I had all 4 hk's 300 22 mag,770 in 308 very accurate , ,640 in 30 06 also cycled well plus both the 630 in 223 and 2 slb's 2000 in 223 and 300 win,all were flawless.
There's 3 in the bunch I should have never sold the 2 223's plus the 770 in 308,polygonal rifling ,and magna ported,you never went of target. I also had the m 14 super match and I could empty a clip in a 1 inch group very fast

But you can't beat a bolt ,just to use to one and went threw a time I figured I would give the semi auto a good try out and I must say I enjoyed them all and they never let me down.The 770 cold weather no matter what it cycled the ammo,the ends of the brass were flatten half ways in and flew 15 feet.i used the 223 and 308 on wolves,if you ran into a pack with 2 clips taped up,lead was flyin.The bars are ok and owned a few but HK makes a fine semi auto.I just missed out on a buy for a slb 2000 in 223 by a few minutes,i am looken for one,they were for sale in KENORA at Canadian tire in 2000 for 1100 bucks.Only 2 semi auto's in 243 in 1984 were sold in north America,there would be a prize to find and that was the last year HK brought that series in.

Newview01 05-03-2016 11:18 PM

I have a Benelli R1 in 300 WM, topped with a Zeiss Rapid Z 800 4.5-14x50.

Awesome rifle. Reliable and accurate.

IBEX 05-03-2016 11:26 PM

For my first deer season, I was given a remington 7400 in .308 win. I liked my dad's parkar hale in 30-06 better but I was uncomfortable with the recoil as a slim 12 year old so I decided to go with the semi instead.
After hunting the entire morning of youth season, we finally spotted a decent 4 pt white tail. The buck was heading in our direction, it was a quite, windless day and I knew the bolt release would spoke the animal. So I gently released the bolt and set up for the shot. By this time the deer was within 75 yards of us. I took a few seconds to control my breathing and lined up the shot but when I squeezed the trigger....click..nothing happened. I was already excited and this made me panic a little which in turn spooked the buck and he took off. Turns out, the bolt hadn't fully closed and thats why the gun didn't fire. I was heartbroken lol. Since that day, I have never ever looked at getting another semi, Infact one of the first things i did once i got back was to trade the semi for a savage 111 in .270 win. For me its a one shot game but I will never let a wounded animal suffer for the sake of one shot kill.

Grizzly Adams 05-04-2016 07:34 AM

Nothing against semi autos, but if you use one, always one extra level of care to consider, that next round that just got loaded.

Grizz

play.soccer 05-04-2016 07:59 AM

I have a modern hunter. I haven't taken anything with it yet (got it out of season) but I've put about 40+ rounds down it and I think it'll make a great hunting rifle. I can't wait to take a deer with it, I'll have a s*** eating grin on my face for the photo too. Too many anti-hunters and fudds will get butthurt that someone is hunting with a scary black rifle. (As evident by the people posting in here saying a bolt action is all you need when clearly the OP is interested in a semi-auto)

couleefolk 05-04-2016 08:38 AM

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;3220297]If you are thinking about the follow up shot before you shoot, you are not overly confident that you can get the job done with the first shot.

I have to agree with this. There are way to many folks that get to trigger happy when they know they have more shots. I also don't believe that more fired rounds is an acceptable solution to using the right caliber for the task at hand. As someone mentioned about shooting a pack of wolves, this may be your ticket in such a case. Bottom line is each to their own.

Scruffie 05-04-2016 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IBEX (Post 3220725)
I knew the bolt release would spoke the animal. So I gently released the bolt and set up for the shot. By this time the deer was within 75 yards of us. I took a few seconds to control my breathing and lined up the shot but when I squeezed the trigger....click..nothing happened. I was already excited and this made me panic a little which in turn spooked the buck and he took off. Turns out, the bolt hadn't fully closed and thats why the gun didn't fire. I was heartbroken lol.

Thats users fault, not the rifle's. You never Gently release a semi- auto bolt!
And you were correct in selling it. If you don't know how to operate your tools correctly, there is no point in having them.

bubba300 05-04-2016 09:12 AM

I have had 3 BAR's all functioned and shot great,they are a little bit heavier but I liked them. I have a Winchester M100 now in 308 and it is a great rifle to. I really prefer a good bolt action for hunting big game but the semi's are fun for coyotes .

fordtruckin 05-04-2016 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scruffie (Post 3220907)
Thats users fault, not the rifle's. You never Gently release a semi- auto bolt!
And you were correct in selling it. If you don't know how to operate your tools correctly, there is no point in having them.

Yep, one of the first things I learned when shooting semi auto rifles and handguns, never ride the bolt forward because it may not go into battery. Not an option for most people onAO but I've used my AR hunting and you always hit the forward assist after chamber ing a round to make sure it will function properly when you need too.

Also correct in if you don't know how to use your equipment you shouldn't be using it unsupervised. Don't care if it's a car, rifle, computer or a power tool, way to many accidents happen because of ignorance...

fish_e_o 05-04-2016 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by play.soccer (Post 3220857)
I have a modern hunter. I haven't taken anything with it yet (got it out of season) but I've put about 40+ rounds down it and I think it'll make a great hunting rifle. I can't wait to take a deer with it, I'll have a s*** eating grin on my face for the photo too. Too many anti-hunters and fudds will get butthurt that someone is hunting with a scary black rifle. (As evident by the people posting in here saying a bolt action is all you need when clearly the OP is interested in a semi-auto)

it's not that it's ugly i could care less it's the shape and weight of that rifle that wouldn't do it for me.

i like something sleeker and lighter to walk around with.

now, if you did all your hunting from blinds or you were rattling it might be the ticket

Prairiewolf 05-04-2016 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3220297)
If you are thinking about the follow up shot before you shoot, you are not overly confident that you can get the job done with the first shot. As for bolt actions, you might be surprised at how quickly a person can get an aimed second shot away. Just keep the rifle shouldered and cycle the bolt as you recover from the recoil.

I have had little experience with Remington semi autos, but it was all negative, either the accuracy was very poor, or they were unreliable. I did own a Browning BAR Mark II in 7mmremmag, and it cycled fine right up until I wanted a follow up shot on a moose in freezing rain. The person that I sold it to had a similar experience, and he also sold it.

This is very good advice that should be read a few times.

The key point is shooting accurately, both on the first shot and the followup, if required. I honestly don't think you'd be any faster on a second shot with a semi auto once you've factored in recoil recovery, as elkhunter11 points out. You'll be more accurate on the first shot with a bolt action anyways.

Bergerboy 05-04-2016 01:22 PM

Norinco M14/M305 rifle. The one I shot worked good and 308 Win will do the trick.

Unregistered user 05-04-2016 01:29 PM

SKS, 5 quick shots and a bayonet to finish the job.

Grizzly Adams 05-04-2016 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered user (Post 3221194)
SKS, 5 quick shots and a bayonet to finish the job.

5 shots and you still need a bayonet ? :confused:

Grizz

Bergerboy 05-04-2016 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 3221202)

Grizz

For the Halal.:)

Albertaguide 05-04-2016 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 260 Rem (Post 3220326)

My first hunting rifle was my dads Remington 760 in 270. Great rifle. Easily shot 1 MOA with tailored hand loads. And I don't recall missing much but that was many years ago

Unregistered user 05-04-2016 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 3221202)

Grizz

You did notice the winky on the post did you not? I hunted one season with a 742 in 30-06, didn't like it in freezing wet temps. It was also a bit heavier than the Savage l replaced it with.

Joholio 05-04-2016 10:37 PM

Before I sold it to Mike from Canmore, I had a BAR .243 with a VX1. Awesome consistent accuracy and never jammed. A bit heavy though as mentioned.