Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   $1.50 DIY Tip-down (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=44804)

jusfloatin 11-03-2009 02:49 PM

$1.50 DIY Tip-down

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of one of tip-down's that I put together.
What I used;
1 piece of 2x4x12" long
1 piece of 2x6x12" long
1 - 24" piece of 1&1/4" steel strapping
2- eyelets 1 with screw end and the other with a nutable end
2- 3/8 dowel 1&1/4 long
2- wooden wheels

As you can see it is a simple and inexpensive tip down that can be adjusted to fish a 1/8 ounce jig to a 1 1/2 ounce spoon with bait simple by bending the strapping. It can be set so sensitive that a light breeze will jig for you.
I spent more on the cheap brush to paint it, then what I used to build it.
I also use planner board line ( Dacron ) 200lbs with a swivel to which I add my leader line. I also marked the line with a black marker every 3 feet to give me my depths.

WayneChristie 11-03-2009 06:00 PM

NIce rig. I have a bunch of that heavy strapping that was used to strap heavy pipe, thats pretty much what I had in mind for it. saw an old dude using it years ago for pike.

tonyflyfish 11-03-2009 06:24 PM

Wayne! What is that for?

WayneChristie 11-03-2009 06:31 PM

the strapping bobs in the wind, jigs your bait automatically, for lazy people like me :D

Hunter Trav 11-04-2009 04:56 PM

Where did you get the strapping from??? My old man used to have a whack of those things made up for ice fishing back in the day, and I would love to make a few for myself and the kids. BTW, if you want a little more jigging action, tear a piece off of a smoke pack and stick it on the end, it will catch more wind on a light breeze day....:D

Paul C 11-04-2009 05:04 PM

supplier

Just contact any of those suppliers of metal product or fab. shops have this stuff lying around in there shipping yards.
:DCheers:D

jusfloatin 11-04-2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter Trav (Post 425511)
Where did you get the strapping from???

I got a bunch from the old guy that gave me the run down on how to make these.
In the spirit in which I recived them I would be more than happy to let you have a couple. You could also check out the nearest Rona's and see if they have some from the lumber bundles.

DANOMAN 11-04-2009 07:04 PM

usually hardwood is strapped with the large strapping your looking for so maybe a place like hardwoods <------called that lol ,,,,,,,,pj white ,,,,,some hardwood floor company....truss company they usually have a tonne in there garbage bins!!

great idea !! thanks for sharing!!.....DANO:wave:

Hunter Trav 11-05-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jusfloatin (Post 425559)
I got a bunch from the old guy that gave me the run down on how to make these.
In the spirit in which I recived them I would be more than happy to let you have a couple. You could also check out the nearest Rona's and see if they have some from the lumber bundles.

There's an offer I can't refuse, shoot me a PM and lets talk some more...:D

Freedom55 11-05-2009 06:44 PM

Try a piece of bandsaw blade with the teeth filed off. Much stiffer than steel strapping.

Beazer 11-06-2009 05:47 AM

it's also known as banding and I have access to TONS of it.
We get alot of that stuff in the yard and its actually a safety hazard.
Slice you right open if you aren't watching.
Anyways if anyone wants some, i could easily grab some.
Easier to find the 4" stuff, but I could probably also get some 2" and mayyybbee 1".
Let me know.
I might just collect some for this winter.