Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Beware Kijiji Scam! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=118835)

Bassett 01-19-2012 04:50 PM

Beware Kijiji Scam!

Hello everyone, Ive been getting a few suspicious people wanting to buy stuff of of kijiji. A friend of mine recieved the same message that I have been getting and sadly lost money to them as they were able to get his PayPal.

Im selling a blackberry on kijiji and Ill recieve a text message from a potential buyer telling me to email them with the email they provide. So I email them and then I recieve the same email from all 4 buyers just with a slight change in details, Here is an email I got,

Quote:

Thanks for your response, I will like to know if you can ship the item international to my friend in Nigeria and i will pay $200 Dollars for the shipping cost through Canada Post Service.

I will like you to provide me your best offer for the item. I will like to make the payment to you through paypal as fastest means of payment.

So i will like you to provide below information

1) Your Paypal Full Name

2) Paypal Full Email Address

3) Item Number

4) Item Cost

So that i can quickly make the payment through paypal as soon as possible and once you confirm the payment you will be able to ship the item as soon as possible.

I will be waiting for your reply.

God Bless,

Edgar
The words in Bold are the words they change everything else is always the same, Ive got emails of them wanting to ship a "buisness partner" or "cousin" instead of friend. They offer different amount of money for shipping, but theyve wanted me to ship to San Diego, New York, Nigeria, and Africa.

With this all being said I believe it to be a scam so beware! It always starts with a text then they email me.

They ALWAYS end in God Bless.

Be careful kijiji users!

Kitscoty Bear Slayer(KBS) 01-19-2012 04:53 PM

I am still waiting for my 50 mill from that Nigerian docs wife

fishzilla 01-19-2012 05:00 PM

Did you flag it?

ditchpickle 01-19-2012 05:33 PM

Ha, I just got almost the same thing while selling my old iPhone. Was it from 646-493-7631?

bushman87 01-19-2012 05:35 PM

Normally if the word "Nigeria" is in the message its a scam lol

flint guy 01-19-2012 05:49 PM

That scam in various configurations has been going on for some time. It involves buying and purchasing all sorts of items big and small. The constant is request to use paypal, and shipping/recieving the item is always by somebody other than the contact in the add, or the person who contacted you for your add. They change the names, address, phone, email ect. Paypal has the option to revoke payment, therefore they can take possession of your goods or your money via paypal, and can do so overseas and annonymously.

Some east indian fellow tried it on me with a truck I had for sale about a year and a half ago.

skidderman 01-19-2012 06:04 PM

To bad we didn't have the ability to return an e-mail to the scums that would blow up their computers.

Bassett 01-19-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidderman (Post 1265101)
To bad we didn't have the ability to return an e-mail to the scums that would blow up their computers.

Thats just the thing, you can send an email with an encypted file that will slowly delete everything on your computer and replace what it is deleting with fake files so your un aware of them being deleted until you go and use them. When you try and delete the email it fries your motherboard. Happened to my brother and he had to re build his computer. The tech guys in future shop were talking with me about it. It can also enter your computer through Wifi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ditchpickle (Post 1265055)
Ha, I just got almost the same thing while selling my old iPhone. Was it from 646-493-7631?

No the number wasnt that, ive had 3 different numbers. This specific email had a 903 area code.

Lornce 01-19-2012 06:31 PM

Gota love them Nigerians.

hunter49 01-19-2012 06:37 PM

Your friend actually fell for it? This has been around for years..I guess as long as people are paying money they will keep scamming.

Bassett 01-19-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter49 (Post 1265140)
Your friend actually fell for it? This has been around for years..I guess as long as people are paying money they will keep scamming.

Unfortunately yes, being in high school needing money and a good offer coming up he fell for it. Too bad it was as good as the guy made it out to be.

fear 666 01-19-2012 07:01 PM

How do you get ripped off through Paypal? They protect buyers and sellers.

As a buyer you have 45 days to make a claim if you don't get your item (Paypal always sides with the buyers in those cases).

If you sell you get the money in your Paypal acount l and make sure to ship with tracking and unsurance. If they say they didn't get it and try to get their money back from Paypal you can provide the tracking.

tommyguitar 01-19-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fear 666 (Post 1265179)

As a buyer you have 45 days to make a claim if you don't get your item (Paypal always sides with the buyers in those cases).

If you sell you get the money in your Paypal acount l and make sure to ship with tracking and unsurance. If they say they didn't get it and try to get their money back from Paypal you can provide the tracking.

They mainly only protect the buyers now. Sellers get screwed often.

The folks at 419eater.com bait these scammers online all the time. They get hilarious results.

tommyguitar 01-19-2012 09:49 PM

http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212620
Check this out.

dogslayer403 01-19-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fear 666 (Post 1265179)

They will give you a large amount of extra cash to cover the delivery and when you recieve it and pay it to their shipper thats the money they steal back, and because they did it through a fake account you are held liable for the amount recieved and because you already gave some back for the shipping that amount you have to remburse its rediculous. Its like if the bank makes a mistake and puts extra money in your account and you spend it you are still liable for the amount even though it was not your mistake. At least thats what I got from researching it when I had a bunch of those weird offers glad I never fell for it.