Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Advice for begginer bow hunter (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=243915)

.Stephen. 01-27-2015 02:16 PM

Advice for begginer bow hunter

Hey everyone so I am starting to get into bow hunting and have been practising a lot. I was just wondering what style of hunting you find works best on crown land. I have been hunting 412 area with rifle the past couple years. Do you recommend a tree stand or blind or stalking. Thanks everyone.

Kurt505 01-27-2015 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Stephen. (Post 2713396)
Hey everyone so I am starting to get into bow hunting and have been practising a lot. I was just wondering what style of hunting you find works best on crown land. I have been hunting 412 area with rifle the past couple years. Do you recommend a tree stand or blind or stalking. Thanks everyone.

What are you hunting?

.Stephen. 01-27-2015 05:33 PM

Mostly deer but would love to get into moose and elk as well. Just need to put in the work and scout.

Kurt505 01-27-2015 05:39 PM

Whitetail I'd use a climber stand on crown land, they're pretty skiddish even in the early season, Muley if you can pattern them a climber would work, otherwise spot and stalk is pretty effective, elk I would call and stalk in early-mid September, moose I would call and stalk in late September- mid October.

pottymouth 01-27-2015 05:45 PM

Try it all .. You will learn what you like and what you don't like, what works and what doesn't and where to use what, when....

beaver hunter 01-27-2015 06:20 PM

X2

albertabighorn 01-27-2015 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pottymouth (Post 2713712)
Try it all .. You will learn what you like and what you don't like, what works and what doesn't and where to use what, when....

X3
But a good place to start is in the bush where alot of trails come together. Then climb up into a tree and wait.

diesel44 01-27-2015 08:00 PM

I have taken a doe out of 412 with my bow the last couple of years. First one was spot and stalk and the second was out of a tree stand. Think I may try and get past opening day next season. Hard to pass up when your freezer is empty. My advice would be practice, practice, practice. Mix it up while shooting, standing, sitting, kneeling. You never know what position you will be in when you see the deer. totally different feeling having a deer in your sites with a bow vs a gun.

Good luck! Have fun!

BigRackLover 01-27-2015 11:17 PM

I use all the techniques throughout the year, except still hunting. For me, I'd rather setup and have the game walk by me. Most beds I find, there is no chance of me slipping an arrow into the animal anyway, that's if I even see them bedded.

Hydro1 01-27-2015 11:47 PM

I believe we have pm'd about bow hunting bear this spring.
If you are still up for it, we will be using a ground blind or spot n stalk.
Im open to going out with you before hand and "practising" on some coyotes.

L.O.S.T.Arrow 01-28-2015 08:18 AM

:D X 4 what pottymouth said...

However I think the most important is burning some shoe leather...still hunt [ walking very slow pausing and observing often] the entire area you will be hunting....

So important to know the area you are hunting...still hunting, or scouting your area will tell where to put those stands and blinds, once you know feeding, beding, funnels, and main trails...

good luck have fun

Neil