Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Buying a used handgun (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=355978)

Kurt505 12-11-2018 03:08 PM

Buying a used handgun

Can someone give me the rundown on what the procedure is for the buyer and seller to do the transaction? I’d like to buy a handgun off a friend, it’s a registered restricted firearm, so obviously there’s going to be some paperwork I imagine. I don’t know where to start.

yukon254 12-11-2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt505 (Post 3890782)
Can someone give me the rundown on what the procedure is for the buyer and seller to do the transaction? I’d like to buy a handgun off a friend, it’s a registered restricted firearm, so obviously there’s going to be some paperwork I imagine. I don’t know where to start.

I've never bought a used one, but I would start with a call to your chief firearms officer. It shouldn't be to much of a problem.

bobtodrick 12-11-2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt505 (Post 3890782)

Your friend calls the RCMP and give them his RPAL and contact information as well as yours over the phone. Takes 5 minutes. They give him an authorization number that he then gives you. You call the RCMP and tell them you want to complete the transfer. They ask you for the number they gave him, then verify over the phone your RPAL and contact info and it's done. If you do it early in the day within an hour or so you get your authorization to pick up the firearm emailed to you.
Just did this a couple weeks ago. My friend called the RCMP at 2:30PM and by 5PM I had it in my hands.
At this point though you still need to confirm a range membership to the RCMP to actually be able to take the thing to a range an shoot.

shorty 12-11-2018 03:16 PM

Basically your friend as to call in for the transfer and then you will have to call in with your information. Once the transfer is approved you can pick it up.

Kurt505 12-11-2018 03:18 PM

Thanks guys

Lefty-Canuck 12-11-2018 04:36 PM

It’s easiest to do when you are both sitting at the same kitchen table with the firearm present. Calling the CFC while face to face is the most efficient.

LC

Kurt505 12-11-2018 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 3890871)
It’s easiest to do when you are both sitting at the same kitchen table with the firearm present. Calling the CFC while face to face is the most efficient.

LC

Probably not going to be that easy, he let his rpal expire. Not sure what’ll happen now.

Gade81 12-11-2018 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt505 (Post 3890884)
Probably not going to be that easy, he let his rpal expire. Not sure what’ll happen now.

Yes, not sure how that'll complicate things, but guessing it will. I just bought my first couple handguns in the last week and easy process. They did ask what range i was a member at, but never needed to prove it. Could've saved myself 160$ had i known. Both transfers approved inside of a day

bobtodrick 12-11-2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gade81 (Post 3890994)
Yes, not sure how that'll complicate things, but guessing it will. I just bought my first couple handguns in the last week and easy process. They did ask what range i was a member at, but never needed to prove it. Could've saved myself 160$ had i known. Both transfers approved inside of a day

You don't need to have a range membership to purchase the gun. But you can't shoot it anywhere. To get our ATT, which is now attached to your license (instead of being a separate piece of paper) you will need to prove your membership.
Just went through that today...a friend purchased a handgun and nowhere does it mention needing to have proof of range membership. He mentioned it to the person on the phone and they informed him that whether it says it on the website or not...if you don't provide proof they don't attach your ATT.
Means if you are stopped on the way to the range there is going to be trouble.
As the person in Mirimichi said...'it isn't mentioned...but ignorance of the law would be no defense in court.'
Bottom line...if you don't email your proof of membership...you got a closet queen.

Smokinyotes 12-11-2018 08:20 PM

My wife bought her first restricted last spring. When we bought it the retailer said the cfo no longer needed a copy of her range membership. Couple weeks after getting her new gun she received a new RPAL with conditions and ATT atttached.

Kurt505 12-11-2018 08:27 PM

I just renewed this year and the question came up if I plan on using anywhere, I answered yes then they asked for proof of range membership.

overhere 12-11-2018 10:17 PM

Just bought one . And was asked for membership proof or no transfer

Lefty-Canuck 12-11-2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt505 (Post 3890884)

That will pose an issue...last one I transferred the guy hadn’t updated his address in the prescribed time and they gave him a warning and out a note on his file.

LC

Lefty-Canuck 12-11-2018 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gade81 (Post 3890994)

Yah but if you didn’t have a membership and said you did...and they did check you would be screwed.

LC

brendan's dad 12-11-2018 10:44 PM

Have the seller call 1-800-731-4000 and select the option to initiate a transfer. Tell the sell to inform the CFP that he is aware that his license is expired. Having an expired license will not effect his ability to transfer the firearm to you. Actually that is often the remedy for persons who do not wish to renew, as they simply transfer/sell their firearms to licensed individual.

The CFP will then contact you at the phone number you have listed on your file. If you have changed numbers since your last renewal, call in to update. They will then discuss your ATT vs a short term ATT to bring the firearm home if it is the first restricted firearm registered to you. If you had other restricted currently registered then your current ATT would cover the transport home.

That's it.

58thecat 12-12-2018 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overhere (Post 3891209)
Just bought one . And was asked for membership proof or no transfer

Yup.....

Redneck 7 12-12-2018 06:51 AM

I’m considering getting my first restricted in the near future here, so this thread answers my questions I’ve had. Seems simple enough.

For the quote, I just renewed my license not long ago with proof of range membership and I don’t have a ATT on the back of my license. I heard they stopped doing this? I’m guessing I heard wrong, or not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobtodrick (Post 3891030)
You don't need to have a range membership to purchase the gun. But you can't shoot it anywhere. To get our ATT, which is now attached to your license (instead of being a separate piece of paper) you will need to prove your membership.
Just went through that today...a friend purchased a handgun and nowhere does it mention needing to have proof of range membership. He mentioned it to the person on the phone and they informed him that whether it says it on the website or not...if you don't provide proof they don't attach your ATT.
Means if you are stopped on the way to the range there is going to be trouble.
As the person in Mirimichi said...'it isn't mentioned...but ignorance of the law would be no defense in court.'
Bottom line...if you don't email your proof of membership...you got a closet queen.

mattthegorby 12-12-2018 06:55 AM

Are you folks sure that proof of range membership is officially not required and that this is not a bureaucratic oversight?

You do not need range membership to get an RPAL, but why are people buying those $100 a year memberships with no shooting privileges if they do not need them to own a restricted firearm?

I am honestly interested, this thread is the first time I have heard of this.

brendan's dad 12-12-2018 07:47 AM

My suggestion is to call the Alberta CFO and ask them directly.

bobtodrick 12-12-2018 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneck 7 (Post 3891280)
I’m considering getting my first restricted in the near future here, so this thread answers my questions I’ve had. Seems simple enough.

For the quote, I just renewed my license not long ago with proof of range membership and I don’t have a ATT on the back of my license. I heard they stopped doing this? I’m guessing I heard wrong, or not?

I think 'attached to license' just means when an officer looks your PAL up in the system it tells him if you have an ATT.

Redneck 7 12-12-2018 11:22 AM

Thanks bob!

Vovchyk 12-12-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattthegorby (Post 3891281)
Are you folks sure that proof of range membership is officially not required and that this is not a bureaucratic oversight?

You do not need range membership to get an RPAL, but why are people buying those $100 a year memberships with no shooting privileges if they do not need them to own a restricted firearm?

I am honestly interested, this thread is the first time I have heard of this.

First time reading that too. Maybe some other reason to be a member?

bobtodrick 12-12-2018 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vovchyk (Post 3891477)
First time reading that too. Maybe some other reason to be a member?

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/restr-eng.htm
The law says specifically you need a range membership to acquire an ATT TO TRANSPORT A FIREARM FROM ONE LOCATION TO ANOTHER.
It doesn't say to transport to a range to shoot.
In other words, even if you could purchase without a range membership (and ATT) you could not legally drive with it to your home to store it in your safe.
Bottom line..you need a range membership.

1cuz1 12-12-2018 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendan's dad (Post 3891222)
. They will then discuss your ATT vs a short term ATT to bring the firearm home if it is the first restricted firearm registered to you. If you had other restricted currently registered then your current ATT would cover the transport home.

That's it.

I was under the impression you required an individual short term att for every restricted purchased in order to transport home????

badbrass 12-12-2018 03:44 PM

Just did one! And no STATT is needed!
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1cuz1 (Post 3891612)
I was under the impression you required an individual short term att for every restricted purchased in order to transport home????

1cuz1 12-12-2018 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badbrass (Post 3891636)
Just did one! And no STATT is needed!

no statt required but you still need to wait for the approval to transfer documents before you can take the firearm home

Twisted Canuck 12-12-2018 04:20 PM

The buyer, assuming he has ATT on his PAL, does not need a STATT to transport their firearm home or to range. However, if you are seller, once the transfer is approved, the firearm is no longer registered to you, and if you want to take the firearm to post to mail to the new owner you are required to get an STATT to transport to post office, and you will need to provide address of post office. Just one more layer of bureaucratic nonsense, but I print hard copies of all my transfer notices, registration certificates, and all STATT's. I have a file about three inches thick. Anyone want to check on my compliance, go nuts. Got to keep public servants busy, bureaucrats need to make paperwork. Such a colossal waste of tax dollars, and the contribution to public safety is effectively zero.

bobtodrick 12-12-2018 05:34 PM

Well about all this proves is that the rules are so obtuse that no one really knows what the heck is correct :mad3:

badbrass 12-13-2018 09:04 PM

This is correct!
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1cuz1 (Post 3891655)
no statt required but you still need to wait for the approval to transfer documents before you can take the firearm home