Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   buffleheads (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=196939)

duncan4 10-28-2013 01:26 PM

buffleheads

Friend of mine was asking me if you can hunt bufflehead ducks in alberta n i honestly wasn't sure. looked in regs and online can't find anything. thought maybe you guys would have a quick easy answer for me thanks.

Ryanpktaxiderm 10-28-2013 01:31 PM

All actual ducks are huntable. Only non huntable water fowl are grebes, loons, swans, cormorants. You can shoot buffleheads, greater and lesser scaup, scoters, redheads, canvasback, both goldeneye species, ringnecks, mallards, pintails, both teal species, shovelers, wood ducks, and coots. As well as all geese.

duncan4 10-28-2013 01:32 PM

thank you kind sir. problem resolved

Jadham 10-28-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanpktaxiderm (Post 2172093)
All actual ducks are huntable. Only non huntable water fowl are grebes, loons, swans, cormorants. You can shoot buffleheads, greater and lesser scaup, scoters, redheads, canvasback, both goldeneye species, ringnecks, mallards, pintails, both teal species, shovelers, wood ducks, and coots. As well as all geese.

You forgot mergansers.... though most people don't target them. I see them on the eastern slope streams while fishing (along with buffleheads and harlequins... which seem to disappear come September).

Ryanpktaxiderm 10-28-2013 05:17 PM

True lol. Forgot them, which is funny as Ihad the luck to knock down a full coloured hoody drake two years back on chip lake.

densa44 10-28-2013 05:27 PM

Those were the days

When I first came here 40 years ago, I was hunting with a doggy friend, and I was identifying the ducks as they flew by, old squaws, ring necks, whislers, I'm sure you get the idea. Gary put his gun down and said "in Alberta there are Pintails, mallards and outher ducks" Don't shoot other ducks when you can get a limit of mallards.

Pudelpointer 10-28-2013 06:38 PM

Your friend Gary doesn't know what good ducks are Densa; Widgeons and teal are better than mallards by far.

338Bluff 10-28-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pudelpointer (Post 2172502)
Your friend Gary doesn't know what good ducks are Densa; Widgeons and teal are better than mallards by far.

Will agree on teal, widgeon....not so sure about. Pretty much going to lump them in with pintail and gadwall. I eat them. Just don't enjoy them as much as mallard or teal.

Never tried a bufflehead.....might be that they are too fast and too small for a lousy shot like me to hit. Maybe thats why I stick to the big mallards and teal that accidentally veer into my shot column.:)

pointer 10-28-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 338Bluff (Post 2172526)
Will agree on teal, widgeon....not so sure about. Pretty much going to lump them in with pintail and gadwall. I eat them. Just don't enjoy them as much as mallard or teal.

Never tried a bufflehead.....might be that they are too fast and too small for a lousy shot like me to hit. Maybe thats why I stick to the big mallards and teal that accidentally veer into my shot column.:)

Buffies are great eating in the late season I used to target them lots on big water and we used to do real well I think out best morning was 4 limits of drakes in less then an hour but we seen a load but like you said they fly fast

338Bluff 10-28-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pointer (Post 2172567)
Buffies are great eating in the late season I used to target them lots on big water and we used to do real well I think out best morning was 4 limits of drakes in less then an hour but we seen a load but like you said they fly fast

Do you pass shoot them? How do they decoy and how many would you need in a spread?

pointer 10-28-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 338Bluff (Post 2172597)
Do you pass shoot them? How do they decoy and how many would you need in a spread?

I was using 36 mallard decoys hot buy GHG we couldn't keep them out I used to pass shoot red heads took 7 limits of drakes one night on those that was a hell of a shoot