Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   VHF Radios (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=420285)

Frank_NK28 02-24-2023 07:42 AM

VHF Radios

Curious if members here have a VHF radio on board their boat, either hardwired or handheld? Do we have emergency capabilities in the province on our waterways should we need them? I am considering ordering a handheld for when fishing, especially on bigger waters like Cold Lake but if we do not have the support systems in place then it's kind of a waste of $ to invest in one.

Drewski Canuck 02-24-2023 07:58 AM

I have both a Uniden handheld as well as a marine hardwired unit.

You are wasting your time with the handheld. Range is about 2 - 3 miles. Wattage is too low and antennae is too short.

On the 25 watt fixed mount with a 5 foot whip anntennae, range is an honest 20 - 25 miles.

However it makes no difference. There are so few users inland that you are better off with a sat phone if you really need to call for help.

Drewski

Sea Hawk 02-24-2023 08:56 AM

I agree with Drewski. A radio is great to have at the coast but not here in Alberta.

Frank_NK28 02-24-2023 09:18 AM

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. :shake2: What do you think of a Zoleo?

WayneChristie 02-24-2023 09:43 AM

I just got a Uniden handheld just for a backup, I also got a 4 foot long antennae for it. I need to learn Spanish, sure get a lot of skip coming up from Montana

Frank_NK28 02-24-2023 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayneChristie (Post 4613313)
I just got a Uniden handheld just for a backup, I also got a 4 foot long antennae for it. I need to learn Spanish, sure get a lot of skip coming up from Montana

That's interesting. Any worth listening to like how is the current bite on Fort Peck Resevoir? LOL

58thecat 02-24-2023 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 (Post 4613320)
That's interesting. Any worth listening to like how is the current bite on Fort Peck Resevoir? LOL

Big Laker Updates:sHa_shakeshout:

ghostguy6 02-24-2023 01:14 PM

For VHF/UHF radios you would need a licence from Industry Canada to be legal to transmit. Even if you got the basic licence for the marine frequencies commonly used on the coast you could not use those frequencies here as they are in use for other entities in Alberta. Some marine channels are used by law enforcement and you do not want to get caught transmitting on those frequencies. Currently Marine Channel 16 is licensed to: Heenan Energy Services (MACKENZIE LAKE AREA AB), Edmonton Yacht Club (SEBA BEACH AB) and Ross Haven Bible Camp (LAC STE. ANNE, AB)
No one around here really uses radios for boat to boat comms unless its a big event anyways.

If you are set on having a radio in your boat you'd be better off with a CB unit. Cheaper, longer range and no licensing. In an emergency your more likely to reach someone on channel nine than marine channel 16 in AB anyways.

EZM 02-24-2023 04:50 PM

There are very few lakes where you don't get cell service unless you are really really out in the sticks. And, with those really remote lakes in the sticks, there is likely nobody on VHF at the same time as you or even within 25 miles of you anyways.

A sat phone is best, your cell phone is likely the second best option for you if you are inland. VHF seems like it adds little value to us out here in the prairies.

At least that's how I see it.

nimrod 02-24-2023 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 (Post 4613294)
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. :shake2: What do you think of a Zoleo?

Zoleo uses, cell tower, also wifi, and satellite, to send a message, any one can get the message out

JohninAB 02-24-2023 07:52 PM

Never used it but from what I understand, the iPhone 14 models can send messages to 911 via satellite if cell and wifi coverage are not available.

fisher69 02-24-2023 11:54 PM

i dont know about the radios, but for emergency i got a Spot, it uses gps and you need a subscription for it but i think its well worth it for the peace of mind if you regularly go to out of the way spots or places with poor or no cell reception.

icecold 02-25-2023 07:01 AM

Radios are great for chatting in whatever group you might be in such as 4x4ing, hunting, sledding, etc. For actual emergency communication I would definitely be getting something satellite. Personally I use a garmin inreach. There's a variety of plan options depending on your needs.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY 02-25-2023 09:04 PM

Industry Canada is no longer the governing body name---it is now Innovation, Science & Economic Development. Transmitting on any device in an emergency situation will not draw you a fine. Transmitting at other times--not so good if you aint got the paper work.

deschambault 02-26-2023 01:06 PM

I have a VHF radio in my boat but only really use it in BC. You can take the marine radio course in Calgary from the power squadron.