Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   northern pike (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=12307)

burbotman14 03-01-2008 09:34 AM

northern pike

how much does a 33 inch northern pike weigh. I was wondering because we caught one yesterday that was that long but i forgot the scale

sbtennex 03-01-2008 09:59 AM

Need to know the girth - river and lake pike are like walleyes in that they can be dramatically lighter or heavier at the same length.

burbotman14 03-01-2008 10:01 AM

it was very fat like it just ate something like a small whitefish

packhuntr 03-01-2008 10:19 AM

Sounds like a spawning hen...Congrats on the nice C&R pike! Dont bother with weights on these C&R fish. Lengths work best anyways for telling the size of a fish you caught. If you hang these guys from a scale vertically, you can do severe internal damage to them as well as cause spinal injuries.

keep a strain on er.

knight hunter 03-01-2008 11:13 AM

My guess is 11.0 lbs.

Walleyes 03-01-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

If you hang these guys from a scale vertically, you can do severe internal damage to them as well as cause spinal injuries
I would just like to know how we know this,, I have seen this statement made before but I am not sure how anyone came to this decision.. Is it another one of those just cause statements..

I think fish are a lot tougher than people give them credit,, they go through a lot of rough stuff in the wild,, ever seen Pike running northern creeks and Beaver damns in the spring you would be amazed at what they live through...

packhuntr 03-01-2008 12:27 PM

Im no authority on the subject Walleyes, but ive read it numerous times in both esox angler and musky hunter magazines, and believe it or not, SCIENCE,,,yes, science has proven all that is being preached about on how to properly handle fish. There are people that are no question in the know about it. Im not one of them. I just read this stuff and do as im told, i care about the future of the fisheries in our province. There have been plenty of papers written on proper handling techniques by leading authorities on the subject. I have plenty on the science behind this at home, but would only be quoting from memory if i tried, and it wouldnt sound smart. Bottom line is that education will secure our fisheries for the future. Read the stuff, show your buddies, and abide.....It only stands to reason.

keep a strain on er.

KyleM 03-01-2008 12:38 PM

Walleyes, let me try to explain this.

Fish in water are buoyant, when they are swimming around up rivers, streams, they have quite a bit of support under them.

When you lift a larger fish out of the water, you take away 100% of its support/buoyancy. By putting a fish on a scale by its gills, you are then focusing 100% of its weight on its gills. I dont need to tell you that the gills are probably the most important part of a fish. They are extremely delicate and can tear quite easily.

If you notice how fish swim, they use a horizontal swimming motion with their spine. Any lateral movement can and will cause damage to their spine.

Think of your knees, they are designed to move back to front.
Any heavy amount of stress pushing them sideways will cause you
quite a bit of pain :lol:

The pike spawn also carries a major kill off of trophies with it.
Quite a few big ones dont survive the trip.

Walleyes 03-01-2008 12:54 PM

I wasn't trying to be rude pack but I was just wondering.. I mean think about it how did anyone come to this conclusion ?? how did they check inside a fish with out gutting it open and how did they check the spine ??? with out killing it ???.. I mean who is a proper authority on this subject other than experienced anglers,, well I happen to be a very experienced angler and I was just wondering how anyone came to this conclusion.. I have spent many a day on northern lakes catching and releasing dozens and dozens of these fish and weighing a few through out the day and I'm sorry but if they were dying a person would see...

Sorry but I'm not one just to take what is said as the truth just because someone said it,, I tend to use common sense and experience as my guides.. But thats just me..

Gordoats26 03-01-2008 05:43 PM

I agree with walleyes I dont belive that weighing a fish from there gills will hurt it one bit. Im no sciantist but i think a hook down the throat would be way more harmfull then hanging a gill through a scale for 4 or 5 seconds.

jrs 03-01-2008 08:15 PM

An average 33'' pike in Alberta would weigh from 7-10 lbs. 10 lbs would be a very chubby pike while 7 would appear slightly skinny. I'd say most pike don't break the 10 lb mark till 34-36''. Girths significant but that would give you an idea.

KyleM 03-01-2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

I agree with walleyes I dont belive that weighing a fish from there gills will hurt it one bit. Im no sciantist but i think a hook down the throat would be way more harmfull then hanging a gill through a scale for 4 or 5 seconds.
Let me stick you with a hook and then let me lift you up with a scale by your nose.

You tell me which one will hurt more.

No kidding your not a scientist :sick:

cub 03-01-2008 08:34 PM

vertical

i am no expert but i dont think it is possible to weigh a fish horizontally with todays FISH SCALES that you buy from the store. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. also i am not sure if damageing the fish gills is to important if you are going to whack him on the head and eat him. i am not sure if that is the case or not. my 2 cents cub

pecker 03-01-2008 08:55 PM

33'pike

Quote:

Originally Posted by burbotman14 (Post 117926)
how much does a 33 inch northern pike weigh. I was wondering because we caught one yesterday that was that long but i forgot the scale

caught a 29' feb. 23 -- kept him so gill weighed him at 6lbs . it was a male - no eggs -- his belly was empty . he was big girthed. so i would guestimate your's around 8-9 lbs. if you had jaw spreaders and scale you would do little harm to the fish with a quick release.

bobbypetrolia 03-02-2008 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cub (Post 118190)
i am no expert but i dont think it is possible to weigh a fish horizontally with todays FISH SCALES that you buy from the store. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. also i am not sure if damageing the fish gills is to important if you are going to whack him on the head and eat him. i am not sure if that is the case or not. my 2 cents cub

Use a cradle; they are as cheap as good nets and are closed at both ends. Guide the fish into the gradle while on the line; same as netting, then close the cradle. Attach a scale to the handles that are centered on top of the cradle....read the weight. Release the fish and weigh the cradle (while it is wet as a dry cradle weighs less than a wet one), subtract the weight of the wet cradle from the wieght of the cradle + fish. All this can be done keeping the fish horizontal and in 30 seconds or less.
They also take up alot less room than a net. When rolled up, cradles are about the size of a christmas wrapping paper roll.

Deano 03-02-2008 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleM (Post 118180)
Let me stick you with a hook and then let me lift you up with a scale by your nose.

You tell me which one will hurt more.

No kidding your not a scientist :sick:

Don't you mean "Let me stick you with a hook, or up to 3 trebles, and than have you fight me with all your weight and energy for up to 20 mins to pure exhaustion.........etc". Come on KyleM, if you are going to make one side of the arguemnet so "scientific", lets be "politically correct" to both sides.

KyleM 03-02-2008 12:50 AM

Your right.

I still dont think youll argue the fact that holding a fish by its gills to weigh it is a smart thing to do.

My main goal is to maybe educate here, not yip at anyone.
I was just stating what I know to be fact, not opinion

Deano 03-02-2008 01:05 AM

Looked to me like you were implying the guy was an idiot, not trying to educate him. I guess I got that impression when you ended your reply with
"No kidding your not a scientist :sick:".
But than again it is only my impression.

Deano 03-02-2008 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbypetrolia (Post 118274)
Use a cradle; they are as cheap as good nets and are closed at both ends. Guide the fish into the gradle while on the line; same as netting, then close the cradle. Attach a scale to the handles that are centered on top of the cradle....read the weight. Release the fish and weigh the cradle (while it is wet as a dry cradle weighs less than a wet one), subtract the weight of the wet cradle from the wieght of the cradle + fish. All this can be done keeping the fish horizontal and in 30 seconds or less.
They also take up alot less room than a net. When rolled up, cradles are about the size of a christmas wrapping paper roll.

That to me looks like someone who wants to educate.

SNAPFisher 03-02-2008 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbypetrolia (Post 118274)

Absolutely! I have been using a cradle for a couple of years now. It has come in handy at Siebert and other lakes for me. Great way to catch, weigh and release fish. If there is only one downside is that it is a two-man operation. It is physically impossible to use a cradle and land a fish by yourself. No biggy, why would one not want to fish for big pike with a partner so you could rub it in afterwards anyways :D

catnthehat 03-02-2008 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cub (Post 118190)

You can buy a scale that fastens onto the handle of a net.
Zero the scale and away you go!
Personally, I do not weigh many fish, unless they are going into the boat to be eaten - and even then they are not often the real big ones, I usually release them.

33 inches? anywhere from 7 to 20 pounds.
My cousin arrowed a 35 incher a few years back that weighed over 25 pounds.
Cat

KyleM 03-02-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Fish in water are buoyant, when they are swimming around up rivers, streams, they have quite a bit of support under them.

When you lift a larger fish out of the water, you take away 100% of its support/buoyancy. By putting a fish on a scale by its gills, you are then focusing 100% of its weight on its gills. I dont need to tell you that the gills are probably the most important part of a fish. They are extremely delicate and can tear quite easily.

If you notice how fish swim, they use a horizontal swimming motion with their spine. Any lateral movement can and will cause damage to their spine.

Think of your knees, they are designed to move back to front.
Any heavy amount of stress pushing them sideways will cause you
quite a bit of pain

The pike spawn also carries a major kill off of trophies with it.
Quite a few big ones dont survive the trip.
That sounded educational.
I just get a little annoyed that people still disagree when the facts are right infront of their face.

Its not my opinion, its just that those are the facts.

Barbwire 03-02-2008 11:05 AM

I have no problem taking 10 seconds to wiegh a fish..... I see some people who c&r who pull the fish onto th ice and let it thrash around while the fisherman gets the tools for release...... When I catch a big pike, that fish will never once touch the ice unless needed....... Treat the fish with care and release her ASAP after pics and wieghing is what we do.....

What happens when you pull a 25 pound pike out of the hole???? You pull her out horizontally and there is no avoiding that.....

There is lots of facts out there that I think smell a little fishy:)

Just my opinion
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...Picture038.jpg

Barbwire

Donny Bear 03-02-2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNAPFisher (Post 118290)
Absolutely! I have been using a cradle for a couple of years now. It has come in handy at Siebert and other lakes for me. Great way to catch, weigh and release fish. If there is only one downside is that it is a two-man operation. It is physically impossible to use a cradle and land a fish by yourself. No biggy, why would one not want to fish for big pike with a partner so you could rub it in afterwards anyways :D

FORSURE X3

Walleyes 03-02-2008 11:15 AM

You got er barbwire,, there is a point where harm is done but with careful hand placement on the gill plate and quick and proper hook removal no harm comes to the fish with weighing it.. ( FACT) Derived from experience not hearsay !!!!

packhuntr 03-02-2008 12:35 PM

If that were how sound management practices were built fellas, we wouldnt have the regulations we do right now, and we also wouldnt have the fish in our lakes and rivers that we do either. You cant seriously expect anyone to believe that because youve always done something a certain way, that is just good enough, and there is no better way, theres no such thing......Come on guys. Take the time to read afew articles on this, you might (hopefully) change just a little bit of what your doing out there, teach your children the right way, and then rest assured your fisheries are being left in good hands.........

keep a strain on er.

KyleM 03-02-2008 12:45 PM

Walleyes,
Just because you watch a fish swim off out of your release dosnt mean it lives another 48 hours.

I just feel that you should only be weighing a fish with a hook scale if your keeping it and/or its a Canadian line class record.

There are new ways of doing things which cause less harm to the fish.
If you are a fisherman who believes in C&R and conservation then you guys
will do some poking around to see the new ways vs the old.

packhuntr you are 110% correct.

Lethalconnection 03-02-2008 01:06 PM

I personally havent weighed a fish yet this year, cause i really dont see the need of injuring a fish im releasing just so i can feel more satisfied having that statistic. If i were to weigh it i would go with the cradle cause there is no harm being done to the fish unlike the gill tactic, which many have stated can and will more then likely do alot of damage.

When im out fishing for C&R fishing, i like to try to grab the fish under the gill plate, hold it in the water and try to remove the hook while the fish is still in the water, so the fish doesnt freeze or cause as little damage to its self thrashing on the ice, then once hook is removed, pull it out for a few snaps with the camera, back in the water, while the tape is gettin laid out then pull it back out put it on tape, then back in the water. Now this tactic doesnt always go as planned cause sometimes when the fish gets to the hole it starts to thrash and possibly be cuttin its self on the ice build up around the hole, so then i pull it out, grab by the gill plate asap then put back in water for hook removal. Sure this tactic is going to make your hands hurt and go numb cause they are so cold, but they can warm up, a fish cant fix a separted spine, ripped gills, gashs to its body, frozen eyes and fins.

Id also like to add, i dont like seeing pictures of big fish being held with one hand under the gills and nothing under the belly to support the weight, your doing the same exact damage to it as you would it your were using a gill scale, unless once again the fish is going to be kept.