Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   South Ram River (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=386531)

Moe 08-23-2020 09:36 AM

South Ram River

Hit the South Ram yesterday after camping close by Friday night. I have never seen so many people in this country before. I usually have my camping spot and the main stem to myself, but not this year. There are trailers and quads everywhere camping on any available spot of crown land. Plus a lot of people on the river. Needless to say, I only caught one fish which is way below my 20+ fish days I have always have. People are saying its because of Covid and they are doing the staycation thing. Crazy numbers of people in the area.

SNAPFisher 08-23-2020 10:29 AM

Yep, noticed the same thing last weekend. Probably tripled what I normally see.

Bushrat 08-23-2020 11:28 AM

Pretty much gave up on the ram, north ram and blackstone this year because of the hordes of people out there. no hockey, football, no concerts and events, nobody vacationing out of province, RV sales thru the roof and they're all going out in the hills to camp. Was out to the North ram last weekend, gong show, going to wait till the kids go back to school and cooler weather might thin them out a bit maybe.

trigger7mm 08-23-2020 11:35 AM

South ram

School happening soon, hunting season coming up. Should be better for some fall fishing. Fingers crossed. Was at the Blackstone a couple weeks ago, and there were people everywhere.

italk2u 08-23-2020 02:14 PM

Strangely enough though, the boondockers with their big trailers and RV's don't want to spend the 26 bucks it takes to reserve a spot at a PRA. I've been virtually alone in the one I camp in all summer.

orvisman 08-23-2020 02:54 PM

I've noticed a Facebook page that is dedicated to a certain river in Alberta. I find that these kinds of things can bring more people to rivers also. The pressure on this specific river has certainly increased due to lots of pics of nice fish being caught.

Soab 08-23-2020 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orvisman (Post 4223456)
I've noticed a Facebook page that is dedicated to a certain river in Alberta. I find that these kinds of things can bring more people to rivers also. The pressure on this specific river has certainly increased due to lots of pics of nice fish being caught.

Sounds like every river down south here, it’s terrible. Just keep trying different water, fishing usually isn’t great but at least get away from the crowds

Exploits 08-24-2020 04:33 PM

fakebook

I never bring facebook look at me types to my favourite remote fishing/hunting/camping spots. They post pics, tell one best bud,
doesn’t take much and give it a couple years, game over. Go alone or
only bring people that will never post your sanctuary.

Ursuskoolus 09-24-2020 02:04 PM

Fish Cop I spke with said he never gave out so many tickets than this year. People out without a clue. Sad and hard on the streams.