Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bearspaw Dam, (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=106300)

Tezma 09-30-2011 05:47 PM

Bearspaw Dam,

Well I had a great time with BeeGuy today at Bearspaw dam,

He pounded out the Whities like no tomorrow. BeeGuy had about 10 Whities, I got 3 and 2 keepers out of that.

Last day to fish there.

Biggest whitie I think was 39 CM, Beeguy!?

Thanks BeeGuy

the local angler 09-30-2011 06:22 PM

right on did you guys fly fish for them?

Tezma 09-30-2011 06:33 PM

Sure did,

LOL, Fly on the line with a maggot and a wieght LOL

BeeGuy 09-30-2011 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Action picked up after you left. For some reason the schools of bigger ones seem to start moving around 5:30.

Biggest of the day was 17".

Cheers to Mike and Tisha for keeping great company.

Oh yeah, and the whitefish rig works for Browns too.

The smallest in the pic is about 32cm.

BeeGuy 09-30-2011 09:22 PM

I find it odd, but the larger whites I've been catching are almost always males.

Anyone have any suggestions why?

Tezma 09-30-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeGuy (Post 1099900)
I find it odd, but the larger whites I've been catching are almost always males.

Anyone have any suggestions why?

Well remember the char your talking about.... Well he only likes eating females. :snapoutofit:
Or the bigger females are on the other side in safer waters!?

So they don't get :budo: by other people, Or maybe they have been :budo: By people.

the local angler 09-30-2011 09:58 PM

those are some awsome looking whites man great job. i have been just bottom bouncing for them. hope to keep hitting them till the season end but hopefully this time on the fly rod.

BeeGuy 09-30-2011 10:03 PM

Ya they've been a lot of fun.

I've caught some in BC before but this is the first time targeting them and it's been a riot.

Biggest thing I've learned is that a size 12 hook is about max size you want to go.

Tight lines

Tezma 09-30-2011 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeGuy (Post 1099953)
Ya they've been a lot of fun.

I've caught some in BC before but this is the first time targeting them and it's been a riot.

Biggest thing I've learned is that a size 12 hook is about max size you want to go.

Tight lines

YUP He nailed it on the button.

I tried with a single fly and maggot and a little nibblet wieght...

I waited for the hits then pulled gentle.... Most of the time missing the hook set but I think thats because the fly was to big
---------------------

Thanks again BeeGuy, I had a blast.

Teshalee 10-01-2011 05:58 PM

BeeGuy, did you catch anything after we left? Very nice to meet you as well, made the last day of fishing that much better!! Cheers

Tezma 10-01-2011 06:04 PM

Teshalee, Did I meet you on the walk out?

BeeGuy 10-01-2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teshalee (Post 1100571)
BeeGuy, did you catch anything after we left? Very nice to meet you as well, made the last day of fishing that much better!! Cheers

Ya, I got a couple more whites......and a brown on the whitie rig. It jumped about 4 times before I got the little guy to shore.

Once it was dark the whites stopped biting.

Cheers!

the local angler 10-01-2011 06:24 PM

man i totally forgot yesterday was the last day of the maggots on the bow other wise i'd been out fishing too.

trainerdave 10-02-2011 07:12 PM

When I used to fish the Highwood for Rockies I caught a higher percentage of males than females earlier in the fall. These fish swim upstream from the bow river to spawn. Later (in October) the larger females were more prevalent in the same stretch of the Highwood river. It appeared the males head up river earlier and the larger females follow later. Although the males you caught appear large they are slenderer and smaller than the large females which may not be present yet.

BeeGuy 10-02-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trainerdave (Post 1101687)
When I used to fish the Highwood for Rockies I caught a higher percentage of males than females earlier in the fall. These fish swim upstream from the bow river to spawn. Later (in October) the larger females were more prevalent in the same stretch of the Highwood river. It appeared the males head up river earlier and the larger females follow later. Although the males you caught appear large they are slenderer and smaller than the large females which may not be present yet.

Awesome thanks.

I'd love to test this out, but that stretch of the river is now CLOSED!