Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wholesale Sports PAL question (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=310833)

moosestalker 12-26-2016 10:23 AM

Wholesale Sports PAL question

I went to the Wholesale Sports in GP this morning to purchase a rifle. During the sale process I produced my current PAL but the salesperson insisted on writing the PAL number on the invoice. When I told her I didn't want her to do that because the gun registry is over, she insisted that it was store policy and that although it is not a registry, Wholesale Sports does keep a "record" of who is buying their guns. After contacting the manager, they refused the sale if I would not allow them to record the number. Anyone know if this is normal now? Last time I purchased a rifle there, all I had to do was produce a valid PAL.

Lefty-Canuck 12-26-2016 10:24 AM

Ask the CFO, they imposed this "rule" on retailers....some follow it some don't.

LC

catnthehat 12-26-2016 10:37 AM

The serial number would be recorded and traceable somewhere fr sure, in case of warranty issues would think.
Cat

elkhunter11 12-26-2016 10:39 AM

Technically, that would constitute an informal registry. I would likely walk away from the sale, and contact my MP with my concern.

Quote:

Ask the CFO, they imposed this "rule" on retailers....some follow it some don't.

LC
The CFOs were forced to back down on this. However some stores are doing this on their own, which would technically constitute an illegal registry.

Lefty-Canuck 12-26-2016 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3426417)
The serial number would be recorded and traceable somewhere fr sure, in case of warranty issues would think.
Cat

I agree IF the store deals with warranty, very few places stand behind firearm sales now....basically leave you on your own.

LC

elkhunter11 12-26-2016 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 3426420)
I agree IF the store deals with warranty, very few places stand behind firearm sales now....basically leave you on your own.

LC

Exactly, most stores leave the customer to deal with the manufacturer for warranty. Of course there are also some stores that go beyond their obligation, and will even honor warranties from companies like Forbes that no longer exist.

catnthehat 12-26-2016 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3426418)
Technically, that would constitute an informal registry. I would likely walk away from the sale, and contact my MP with my concern.

The CFOs were forced to back down on this. However some stores are doing this on their own, which would technically constitute an illegal registry.

Considering that the law says simply that the seller DOES NOT have to record the PAL I think it is basically a crock.
Cat

70fastback 12-26-2016 10:56 AM

pal

I'd walk away myself There is so many places to buy a rifle

moosestalker 12-26-2016 10:59 AM

PAL question

I walked away from the deal figuring I'd get some clarity on the subject here first. I don't have a big issue with giving out my PAL number other than on principle that the registry is over and stores shouldn't be conducting their own mini-registries. The salesperson made up some story that it was an expensive item and so they want the number to prove that their product didn't just walk out the door. My response was, they don't do that with the rest of the products they sell in the store. Some of their camping and fishing gear is worth far more than the .22 I was looking at, and they don't require a PAL or ID to prove that didn't just walk out the store.

New Hunter Okotoks 12-26-2016 11:07 AM

I would walk away from a firearm sale if they insisted on getting my personal information. I have no idea how secure their list is and who is allowed to see it. In the wrong hands, a list showing who purchased firearms could very well turn into a shopping list for thieves.

elkhunter11 12-26-2016 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosestalker (Post 3426435)
I walked away from the deal figuring I'd get some clarity on the subject here first. I don't have a big issue with giving out my PAL number other than on principle that the registry is over and stores shouldn't be conducting their own mini-registries. The salesperson made up some story that it was an expensive item and so they want the number to prove that their product didn't just walk out the door. My response was, they don't do that with the rest of the products they sell in the store. Some of their camping and fishing gear is worth far more than the .22 I was looking at, and they don't require a PAL or ID to prove that didn't just walk out the store.

It's not a bad idea to ask for the manager, and then tell him why you are walking away from the deal. If management, and then the owners are aware that their policy is costing them money, they may change the policy.

TrollGRG 12-26-2016 11:10 AM

The problem here is that it may be store policy. It doesn't have to be federal law. The store can enact pretty much any other rules they like.

As for their argument of identifying buyers... I can see that they would want positive ID maybe even a copy of your DL and a look at your PAL. They is no need for a registration of your PAL number.

Your decision on whether or not to deal with them. I would but then I have had nothing but good dealings with WSS.

Lefty-Canuck 12-26-2016 11:11 AM

My concern is their paper registry is not secure and has a bunch of critical personal information, who guarantees the security of the personal information? It can walk out the door easier than any firearm.

LC

Jeeper83 12-26-2016 11:14 AM

I don't remember them doing this with the last gun I bought at wholesale. I think their recipt had a place to record it, but the guy just wrote "pal verified".

Have seen / heard of places who take your pal in the back when filling out the recipt, so I suspect other places record it as well.

vcmm 12-26-2016 11:20 AM

ABOUT THE PERSONAL INFORMATION PROTECT ACT
Overview
The Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA) is Alberta’s private sector privacy law.

PIPA applies to provincial private sector organizations, businesses and, in some instances, to non-profit organizations for the protection of personal information and to provide a right of access to an individual’s own personal information.

Organizations that are subject to PIPA must develop and follow policies that are reasonable to meet its obligations under the Act.

When PIPA refers to any thing or any matter as 'reasonable,' it is that which a reasonable person would consider appropriate in the circumstances.

For public bodies, such as government departments and municipalities, please see the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act website.

Are you concerned about the use and disclosure of your personal information? The Standing Committee on Alberta's Economic Future is reviewing the Personal Information Protection Act and is currently asking for submissions so you can have your say!

Disclaimer

All persons reviewing Service Alberta’s Personal Information Protection Act site are reminded that it has no legislative sanction, and has been provided for guidance and convenience of reference only. The official Statutes and Regulations should be consulted for all purposes of interpreting and applying the law.

Contact this service

Contact the PIPA Information Line
310-0000 (toll-free in Alberta) then,
780-644-7472

Related services

PIPA Overview

Collecting Information

Using Information

Disclosing Information

Protecting Personal Information

Employee Information

Legislative History

Personal Information Protection Act (Queen's Printer)

Personal Information Protection Act Regulation (Queen's Printer)

kingrat 12-26-2016 11:22 AM

Saskatoon wholesale never did a month ago when I bought my rifle did take my name etc for warranty card though.

urban rednek 12-26-2016 11:39 AM

PAL Verified in Calgary

FWIW- the last 2 firearms I purchased at WSS in Calgary (June and August 2016) show my name, make, model, serial number, & PAL Verified on the hand written receipt. At no time did my RPAL leave my sight.

Might be you are dealing with a CYA store policy in GP.

smithers 12-26-2016 12:00 PM

Wholesale Sport PAL question

On the 9th of this month, bought an O/U shotgun at Cabelas in Edmonton. They asked for my PAL, but to my knowledge made no record of the number. Just checked the bill its (PAL) not recorded any where on my receipt.

HighlandHeart 12-26-2016 03:56 PM

Wholesale Sports also ask for ID before they will sell you bear spray. I'm surprised they don't have a registry for that yet.

igorot 12-26-2016 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrollGRG (Post 3426449)
The problem here is that it may be store policy. It doesn't have to be federal law. The store can enact pretty much any other rules they like.

As for their argument of identifying buyers... I can see that they would want positive ID maybe even a copy of your DL and a look at your PAL. They is no need for a registration of your PAL number.

Your decision on whether or not to deal with them. I would but then I have had nothing but good dealings with WSS.

Store policy does not supersede any federal or provincial law. The best way to deal with it is to let them provide you a copy of the policy, 99 % of the time they don’t have one. Imagine creating a store policy that bans religious attire in a store:sEm_oops2:.
Any information given must have your consent and the person recording it must give you the why, what, how this information is being use and protected, as per PIPA.
The main problem here is our privacy law has no enforcement and penalties, just like some other laws. They only provide recommendations. It is a PITA

Musk e 12-26-2016 07:08 PM

That is not o.k.
I would find a different retailer who has some respect for there customers.

calvin 12-26-2016 07:19 PM

I think it's an great policy and should be expanded. Nothing wrong with having some type of extra security, albeit a minimum wage employee from wholesale. far from a registry in my opinion. Hiding something maybe???

elkhunter11 12-26-2016 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvin (Post 3426797)
I think it's an great policy and should be expanded. Nothing wrong with having some type of extra security, albeit a minimum wage employee from wholesale. far from a registry in my opinion. Hiding something maybe???

How is it extra security to record the PAL? You have to show your PAL to make the purchase, recording that PAL does not make anything more secure.The CFOs tried to force businesses to do this, but the government ordered them not to, because it is a form or registry.

npbra 12-26-2016 07:30 PM

Since your name and address is not recorded, the PAL number is pretty much useless to anyone. Only way someone can find out who the PAL holder is, is by entering the PAL number and the holders birthdate (which is not recorded) into the RCMP data base. Checking the PAL is to protect the store and PAL holder. Makes sure it is not stolen or suspended.
If you don't like the store policy, complain to head office or vote with your wallet and buy elsewhere.

knacker 12-26-2016 07:33 PM

FAC numbers were recorded by retailers (including pawn shops) long before the registry came in, which is why I thought the "registry" was double redundant and unnecessarily costly.

elkhunter11 12-26-2016 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npbra (Post 3426803)
Since your name and address is not recorded, the PAL number is pretty much useless to anyone. Only way someone can find out who the PAL holder is, is by entering the PAL number and the holders birthdate (which is not recorded) into the RCMP data base. Checking the PAL is to protect the store and PAL holder. Makes sure it is not stolen or suspended.
If you don't like the store policy, complain to head office or vote with your wallet and buy elsewhere.

The PAL is recorded on the invoice, which also contains a person's name. If you have a PAL number and the person's name, you can use the PAL number to make fraudulent purchases. People have been scammed into providing their PAL number and name for that specific purpose.

Bushleague 12-26-2016 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3426425)
Considering that the law says simply that the seller DOES NOT have to record the PAL I think it is basically a crock.
Cat

That being said... the OP probably paid with PLASTIC, while on in store CAMERAS then posted the fact that he had purchased a gun ONLINE... very likely from his phone... At this point why even worry about the PAL? The trail is already there, I mean... the fact that we have PAL's at all lets the government know that we have guns.

Is big brother watching? Probably. Is it some sinister plan being forced on us? NO. We've embraced it whole heartedly, we've bought it in the form of cell phones, GPS units in our vehicles, online banking and purchasing systems. Worrying about the PAL at this point is laughable IMO.

npbra 12-26-2016 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3426808)
The PAL is recorded on the invoice, which also contains a person's name. If you have a PAL number and the person's name, you can use the PAL number to make fraudulent purchases. People have been scammed into providing their PAL number and name for that specific purpose.

GP Wholesale does not put peoples name for non-restricted purchases on invoices.

elkhunter11 12-26-2016 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npbra (Post 3426813)
GP Wholesale does not put peoples name for non-restricted purchases on invoices.

And they don't need to record the PAL number either. They are choosing to do something that isn't required, and serves no useful purpose.

Bergerboy 12-26-2016 07:46 PM

I think why the retailers are writing down the PAL number with a firearms purchase is to have record of checking the PAL. They can show X number of firearms sold, and the same number of checked pals. They are just doing it to show they are compliant with the law. They know they are running the risk of a few people walking away but are comfortable with it. Here is a question. If you sold a firearm to someone and it came out that they were not supposed to have said firearm, how would you prove in court that you were compliant?