Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Helgie Eymundson buck officially scored (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=11342)

sheephunter 02-06-2008 01:50 PM

Helgie Eymundson buck officially scored

Ran into Helgie at SHOT Show and found out the official score on his buck is 276 1/8. That should put it at #15 in the world but Helgie told me that it would require panel scoring at the next B&C panel. What an awesome Alberta deer and a most gracious hunter.....It was a real pleasure to shake his hand.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/news/i...mundson175.jpg

bullwinkle 02-06-2008 02:01 PM

Quite the coincidence that you posted that today,the mechanic working on my project asked me this morning if I had seen a pic of this deer and up until now I hadn't.He is Helgie's neighbour,thanks for posting.Incredible deer!

nekred 02-06-2008 02:34 PM

Awesome Buck..... wait till you see it for real!... it is Hugeinormous!

gramps73 02-06-2008 02:52 PM

That one heck of a big buck
g

Rockymtnx 02-06-2008 02:55 PM

That is one incredible deer.
Apparently there is suppose to be a write up of it an a February issue of a North American Whitetail. I haven't seen it on any newsstands yet.
The hunt is also suppose to be available on Wild TV Recoil soon.
Any rumors as to what part of the province it came from?

sheephunter 02-06-2008 02:57 PM

I picked up an autographed copy last week at the show. Another treasure to add to my growing collection.

nekred 02-06-2008 03:10 PM

The part with some trees and snow!.....

Lethalconnection 02-06-2008 03:44 PM

http://forum.gamehit.net/html/emoticons/drooling.gifWOW

bullwinkle 02-06-2008 07:14 PM

It was apparently shot near Jarvie.

boonie 02-08-2008 08:12 AM

I actually hunted within a couple miles of where Helgie took that great buck. I guess it wasn't my turn to win the lottery. Can't wait to see the hunt on wild tv's "Recoil on demand". Going to come out this month I read on the website.

Dick284 02-08-2008 08:25 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the broadcast, of the hunt.
Looking forward to that for sure, if you get a definate date and time please post it.

TheClash 02-08-2008 09:01 AM

so with a buck like that i have heard rumours of shops like cabellas offering large sums of cash fo rit...are these rumours true..or rural myths (not urban myths hahaha)

sheephunter 02-08-2008 09:08 AM

I suspect there will be some buyers interested in this buck for sure....depending on your definition of huge cash, it could likely fetch a hefty sum if he decides to sell it.

ABwhitetail 02-08-2008 09:17 AM

What the Deal on the B&C Panel having to look at it? I know with that type of palmation, this is normal course...

My understanding is the panel meets every three years.....I think they met last year, so next time will be 2010...

Does this mean this buck won't be 100% official until then, or is the panel more of a formality?

sheephunter 02-08-2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABwhitetail (Post 109127)
What the Deal on the B&C Panel having to look at it? I know with that type of palmation, this is normal course...

My understanding is the panel meets every three years.....I think they met last year, so next time will be 2010...

Does this mean this buck won't be 100% official until then, or is the panel more of a formality?

B&C often requires animals that score very high in the books to be panel scored before their score becomes official. They will be listed in the books with an * until the panel gives them an official score.

The strange thing is, if you refuse to send it for panel scoring, it is removed from the books all together. I had a buddy that shot the world record mountain caribou and it was listed with an * for a number of years but as he refused to send it for panel scoring, they eventually removed it from the book.

ABwhitetail 02-08-2008 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheephunter (Post 109130)
B&C often requires animals that score very high in the books to be panel scored before their score becomes official. They will be listed in the books with an * until the panel gives them an official score.

The strange thing is, if you refuse to send it for panel scoring, it is removed from the books all together. I had a buddy that shot the world record mountain caribou and it was listed with an * for a number of years but as he refused to send it for panel scoring, they eventually removed it from the book.

I guess I understand the confirmation of "big scorers" by the panel....The thing that sucks is if you have to wait up to three years, I assume the antlers will still shrink a tad more from the 60 day drying period....so if there is 1/8" difference from the first official measure to the panel measure, do they change it.....

I guess it really isn't that big of a deal, hell if I ever get something that requires panel to score it....who cares what the final score is....

sheephunter 02-08-2008 10:07 AM

It's my understanding that the panel does allow for additional shrinkage but I'm not exactly sure how they calculate it.

ABwhitetail 02-08-2008 10:23 AM

Well that seems fair.....

Chet 02-08-2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheephunter (Post 109178)
It's my understanding that the panel does allow for additional shrinkage but I'm not exactly sure how they calculate it.

That's my understanding as well. I don't think there are exact numbers for the excess shrinkage they allow.

Panel measuring is just a way to ensure the records are as accurate as possible. It makes sense to me that world records or near-world records should be confirmed by more than one set of eyes. That tough part is that it is the trophy owner's responsibility to cover the costs of shipping it to the panel. This can be pretty pricey in the case of Moose, Caribou etc. but I think it is worth it. In some circumstances B&C or P&Y can arrange a smaller panel of measurer's closer to the trophy owner if need be.

Chet