Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fishing OTD: How's it goin Gus? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=134351)

BeeGuy 05-22-2012 12:02 PM

Fishing OTD: How's it goin Gus?

Welcome to the first installment of Fishing Off Topic Discussion.

A thread for off topic fishing related discussion. Feel free to derail, joke, discuss techniques for Lakes Q, X, Y, and Z and so on. Be nice.

So Gus, how's it goin?

catch anything this season?

Gust 05-22-2012 12:19 PM

Well, got Dads rod all set up and twisted an extra batch of wire worms for him, then the neighbour gets back from Travers and talks about his stellar weekend and the non-stop bite of Pike and Walleye, which gets old Pa's brain going in another direction and so he says "Put that rod away, lets go camping!!!" which is slumming it in a mini-van,,, so now he's got me setting up rigs for Walleye Pike and Lake Whites, which ends up demanding a full reorganisation of the fishing lure pile, which took 6 hours, and when I was finished I looked over and noticed the 3 boxes I missed (FUDGESICLES!!!),, anyhoo, so old dude has the garage full of all that crap he likes to have on such trips and I have all the rods ready to go,, then old ma asks what we are up to, to which he answers and gets a reply of "You guys can't go anywhere because there's a family dinner tommorow,, what were you thinking???",,, and he became very very glum. so I started making crazy lures and fixed my old Pflueger and he sat down and cracked open a few beer's and looked at all the gear that he pulled down from the rafters.

Today we find out that the dinner has been moved to a later date.

Had we made it out the door we would have at this point got 9 hours of daylight fishing in,,,, but all we have to show is a garage full of potential.

That's my fishing story.

BeeGuy 05-22-2012 12:25 PM

Haha, that's the way she goes.

Sounds like you have a ton of gear. I have one man-purse of gear. P-rigs and terminal tackle don't take up much room.

BeeGuy 05-22-2012 12:28 PM

Got this cool looking rainbow yesterday and boy did she put up a scrap.

10:1 over any brown twice her size

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/...hstbowcrop.jpg

nimrod 05-22-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GustavMahler (Post 1448199)
Well, got Dads rod all set up and twisted an extra batch of wire worms for him, then the neighbour gets back from Travers and talks about his stellar weekend and the non-stop bite of Pike and Walleye, which gets old Pa's brain going in another direction and so he says "Put that rod away, lets go camping!!!" which is slumming it in a mini-van,,, so now he's got me setting up rigs for Walleye Pike and Lake Whites, which ends up demanding a full reorganisation of the fishing lure pile, which took 6 hours, and when I was finished I looked over and noticed the 3 boxes I missed (FUDGESICLES!!!),, anyhoo, so old dude has the garage full of all that crap he likes to have on such trips and I have all the rods ready to go,, then old ma asks what we are up to, to which he answers and gets a reply of "You guys can't go anywhere because there's a family dinner tommorow,, what were you thinking???",,, and he became very very glum. so I started making crazy lures and fixed my old Pflueger and he sat down and cracked open a few beer's and looked at all the gear that he pulled down from the rafters.

Today we find out that the dinner has been moved to a later date.

Had we made it out the door we would have at this point got 9 hours of daylight fishing in,,,, but all we have to show is a garage full of potential.

That's my fishing story.

That would be my kind of day

Me, well getting my stuff ready for a fly in trip, next weekend, going over my tackle and gear as we speak, waiting for a replacement net, hope it comes in this week, but no big deal if it does not, working out all the kinks, looking forward to the trip.:sHa_shakeshout:

BeeGuy 05-22-2012 12:36 PM

Awesome, where are you headed?? Charlottes?

Gust 05-22-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeGuy (Post 1448204)
Haha, that's the way she goes.

Sounds like you have a ton of gear. I have one man-purse of gear. P-rigs and terminal tackle don't take up much room.

We refuse to buy anything except hooks and slip weights, I actually got the inventory down down down and noticed lures 35 years old, that we still use, and found Pa's huge balsa jointed plug that he caught his monster walleye on years and years ago at Bassano -the fish was as big as a fat pygmy with gills & fins- and here's the crazy bit,, the hook's on it are like mint condition and sharp like none encountered, not even the laser sharpened ones or the shovel type. So that old adage of, They don't make things like they used to is what this lure speaks through and through.

The rods are sentimental and more frankensteins than rods, but there is one that I managed to restore last year and it still has that incredible feel,, medium light action.

OH! If anyone is reading and need a spool for a Mitchell 300 (made in France, not a knock off), drop me a line.

Also he has a one piece rod he won in a derby but it's for a level wind,,, since he keeps talking about trading me in for you as a fishing buddy, you could prolly get the rod for an interesting offer. I'll ask him about it, as it has never been used, ever-ever-ever,,, which is a real shame. It's a 6.5', heavy'ish medium action, mid 90's graphite,, there's also a cheaper cherrywood brand one.

BeeGuy 05-22-2012 02:00 PM

Sweet. Does the one-piece collapse into the handle or is it a real one piece?

I've got an abu garcia something or other 7.5' Ive been using with a AG 5600 level wind. Works good and is super strong.

Was using it the other day trolling with an 8oz 'banana weight' and pulled a fat brown out of 40' of water. pretty cool.

What are you looking for in exchange?

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/...hstfatbrwn.jpg

Gust 05-22-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeGuy (Post 1448351)
Sweet. Does the one-piece collapse into the handle or is it a real one piece?

I've got an abu garcia something or other 7.5' Ive been using with a AG 5600 level wind. Works good and is super strong.

Was using it the other day trolling with an 8oz 'banana weight' and pulled a fat brown out of 40' of water. pretty cool.

What are you looking for in exchange?

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/...hstfatbrwn.jpg

I will ask him as it is his but it just collects dust,, and no it doesn't telescope into the handle. This is definitely a trolling sort of rod,, I just figured out where the SD card goes in my stupid phone and will take a picture and post it in a bit for you to suss out.

Gust 05-22-2012 02:08 PM

The rainbow looks like a baby coho,, gorgeous fish.

BeeGuy 05-22-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GustavMahler (Post 1448365)
The rainbow looks like a baby coho,, gorgeous fish.

Yeah it was cool. I havent seen a fish like that since I fished the Nass-hole at the Meziaden.

slivers86 05-22-2012 04:45 PM

BG - sunday wanna hit my lagoon again with the canoe if it doesn't rain like hell? or shall we wait until mid-late june

BeeGuy 05-22-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slivers86 (Post 1448534)
BG - sunday wanna hit my lagoon again with the canoe if it doesn't rain like hell? or shall we wait until mid-late june

Maybe wait until the fall or first ice.

I saw very little evidence of anything aside from the chubs. First ice might be the ticket.

Lets hit my phantom spot on the weekend. Get your pfd vest first though. Some nice fish in there.

I wanna try and find some more off those coho-bows. The little ones look like kokanee.

slivers86 05-22-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeGuy (Post 1448550)
Maybe wait until the fall or first ice.

I saw very little evidence of anything aside from the chubs. First ice might be the ticket.

Lets hit my phantom spot on the weekend. Get your pfd vest first though. Some nice fish in there.

I wanna try and find some more off those coho-bows. The little ones look like kokanee.

Sunday at sun up?

BeeGuy 05-22-2012 04:58 PM

yup

slivers86 05-22-2012 04:59 PM

ill run it by the wifey. I'm sure its not a problem :)

WayneChristie 05-22-2012 07:41 PM

hey gus

did you make it to that creek on the weekend?

BeeGuy 05-22-2012 09:52 PM

Gus only ever wets a line in his dreams:happy0059:

WayneChristie 05-22-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeGuy (Post 1449065)
Gus only ever wets a line in his dreams:happy0059:

hey guy has to be proud to still have wet dreams in his 90's!

BeeGuy 05-22-2012 10:06 PM

:character0110:

Gust 05-22-2012 10:49 PM

Didnt make the creek or anywhere.

What is a wet line dream? Enquiring minds gotta know. Be descriptive.

slivers86 05-22-2012 11:20 PM

who fishes a creek this early... maybe its not open yet... crikey :D

Gust 05-23-2012 12:04 AM

It shoul take about a week to find by reading the regs and guides but you will find it eventually, at least I think so,,,

BeeGuy 05-23-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slivers86 (Post 1449222)
who fishes a creek this early... maybe its not open yet... crikey :D

Haha, who fishes a lagoon?

slivers86 05-23-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeGuy (Post 1449278)
Haha, who fishes a lagoon?

bah, some idiot who found a secret, thats who :bad_boys_20: Gus would prob have fun with us there later in the season... fish up some pike bait for the winter months

BeeGuy 05-23-2012 11:06 AM

I bet the lagoon is pike free.

I think we're looking at rainbows and rockies primarily.

slivers86 05-23-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeGuy (Post 1449640)
I bet the lagoon is pike free.

I think we're looking at rainbows and rockies primarily.

I know... was saying pike bait from the bottom feeders you reckon suck scum off the mud

BeeGuy 05-23-2012 12:42 PM

ya, might be great spot to put a minnow trap in.

slivers86 05-23-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeGuy (Post 1449761)
ya, might be great spot to put a minnow trap in.

below the danger trap looked interesting too :)

Gust 05-23-2012 02:13 PM

The rod is a Berkley Onyx 7' medium heavy trolling rod. It's nothing spectacular but it's not being utilised. I haven't posed the question to him yet but if you can find a spot to comfortably carry in a 12 foot aluminum with a guarantee of fish, that would be a good selling point.