Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Calgary Archery Center Closing in November 2022 (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=415306)

Lefty-Canuck 09-12-2022 10:31 PM

Calgary Archery Center Closing in November 2022

Just saw a Facebook post to the effect they are closing in November. Unfortunate to lose another local archery shop.

LC

DRhunter 09-13-2022 06:35 AM

Too bad, bought my first bow there and used them for over a decade for my archery needs. Another local shop bites the dust unfortunately.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SageValleyOutdoors 09-13-2022 07:04 AM

Honestly, while it does suck that a local shop is closing its doors, that place was pretty terrible in my opinion. Staff weren’t helpful, and sometimes treated me like an idiot if i asked a question. The last time i was there to have some arrows made, i waited 4 weeks and didn’t hear back from them - so i went to Jim Bows and had them made within an hour.
I’m not glad they closed their doors, i know a lot of people will miss it, but for me, if a lot of people had the same experience there, i can see why Jim Bows is growing and expanding, and CAC is closing down.

Knotter 09-13-2022 04:38 PM

Perhaps time for a change

It's too bad that they are going this route. The user/retail space is tough. I've had a condescending conversation at virtually every archery shop. The staff at cac were always nice to me and my kids when we shoot there. Perhaps this makes room for another range down the road. Hard to find places to shoot and now we have one less. Damn.

Stinky Buffalo 09-13-2022 05:03 PM

Sad as this is, it may be an opportunity for a group of entrepreneurial archers to have a go at the business...

jdean8708 09-13-2022 07:16 PM

That’s a bummer. I bought my first bow there this summer and been going 2-3x a week since. As a rookie, they’ve been really helpful in getting me set up and helping me learn to shoot.

The moose 09-14-2022 08:27 AM

This is terrible news. I have always really appreciated them and have always been very helpful to me. I shoot there in the summers and with them gone, will be losing one of the only places in the south.

3blade 09-14-2022 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo (Post 4558455)
Sad as this is, it may be an opportunity for a group of entrepreneurial archers to have a go at the business...

Not in the current context

In the early 2000s, when technology was advancing and guys were buying a new bow every year or two, archery shops were profitable. Post 2008, lower incomes, inflation, cabelas/bps, and really not much reason to upgrade bows…no profits. Arrows by the dozen won’t keep the lights on.

It’s always been a small customer base. I think we saw a one time bubble and it popped

Stinky Buffalo 09-14-2022 10:21 AM

Oh for sure, I agree.

However, focusing on bow servicing, lessons and range access instead of retail may be a direction to consider. Maybe throw in an axe-throwing cage to expand the appeal.

Knotter 09-16-2022 10:17 AM

Global picked up the story

https://globalnews.ca/news/9133442/c...entre-closing/

Its certainly a cost issue but also a business model issue. Maybe a bow shop on the south end will pop up.

muirsy 09-16-2022 10:56 AM

That's too bad - I always enjoyed shooting longer distances there despite the extra drive down south.

I always considered most of their retail (at least hunting gear) to be really sub-par, and thought if they had stock like Jim Bows, would be my #1 pick just based on the fact that you can shoot out to 40 yards.

Retail is a tough game though, especially in this day and age with so many big box and online choices that are - well, cheaper.

Hopefully someone can take it and run with it, or similar!

calgarychef 09-17-2022 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors (Post 4558231)
Honestly, while it does suck that a local shop is closing its doors, that place was pretty terrible in my opinion. Staff weren’t helpful, and sometimes treated me like an idiot if i asked a question. The last time i was there to have some arrows made, i waited 4 weeks and didn’t hear back from them - so i went to Jim Bows and had them made within an hour.
I’m not glad they closed their doors, i know a lot of people will miss it, but for me, if a lot of people had the same experience there, i can see why Jim Bows is growing and expanding, and CAC is closing down.

I have just the opposite experiences.

32-40win 10-25-2022 11:18 AM

Being as I was in Calgary last weekend, went in and talked to Al for a bit, Herwig was there too, hadn't seen him in a long time. Heck of a pile of people have circulated thru the two shops Al operated, some liked it, some didn't, that's applicable to any business. Some love Jimbo, some don't, no difference overall in the scheme of things really, life with retail customers is like that.

Met a lot of good folk down there, had a lot of fun, couple of the people I hunt with now, were friends made in those shops, from as long as 30 yrs ago. Evening rabbit adventures out back, at the old shop, various shooting contests and bets, 30 arrows inside the 9 ring, touching the line inside was out, shooting at rolled up 20-50-100.00 bills stuffed in arrow holes in the butts, various indoor shoots, some shot from the counters at 60-70 yds, arrows stuck at the top of the walls from pre-releases, Thurs wing nights at the Blackfoot, travelling to various shoots, year end dinners, stories of cat hunting & hounds and elk hunting, Al's office clutter, a couple of characters that worked there over the years, and a few prize characters that showed up every once in a while.