Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How to lose less arrows in snow when bowhunting? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=416666)

ey212 10-25-2022 10:31 PM

How to lose less arrows in snow when bowhunting?

Hey all! New bow hunter here. Recently had our first snow here in Calgary, so I went out and harvested some grouse. While it was such an exciting hunt, I quickly realized how difficult it is to retrieve your arrow when the ground is covered in deep snow, because even judo or blunt points don't stop the arrow from completely going into the snow. Any tips for losing less arrows when you go out there in snow?

(Btw, if you are in Calgary area and want to go on scouting/hunting together, feel free to message me!)

Passthru 10-26-2022 06:18 AM

Use lighted nocks or what I do, bright coloured wraps and vanes. I still lose the odd one sometimes

Twisted Canuck 10-26-2022 06:36 AM

Another more expensive but useful option is to get arrows with RFID chips embedded so you can track them. I've never used them but apparently they work pretty good. Something like this:

https://rfidarrowtracker.weebly.com/features.html

I'm sure there are other options, that was just one I came up with on a quick search.

Brodhead 10-26-2022 07:02 AM

You could look into using fobs instead of fletchings. They are a circular "fletching" that pops off on impact. You can then tie very light string to the fob and stuff the rest of the steing inside the arrow. That way the fob pops off where you hit the grouse and if the arrow keeps going, it leaves a trail of string behind.
Keep in mind this setup requires a drop away rest and fobs aren't readily available in stores

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

obsessed1 10-26-2022 08:58 AM

Flu flu arrows can help

ey212 10-26-2022 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Passthru (Post 4571701)
Use lighted nocks or what I do, bright coloured wraps and vanes. I still lose the odd one sometimes

That’s a great point! Mine are all dark color, sometimes hard to find on the ground haha. The lighted nocks will definitely help too!

ey212 10-26-2022 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 4571703)
Another more expensive but useful option is to get arrows with RFID chips embedded so you can track them. I've never used them but apparently they work pretty good. Something like this:

https://rfidarrowtracker.weebly.com/features.html

I'm sure there are other options, that was just one I came up with on a quick search.

Wow never even knew they exist! Will definitely check them out. Expensive, but I imagine pretty much prevents losing arrows altogether. Thank you!

ey212 10-26-2022 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodhead (Post 4571715)
You could look into using fobs instead of fletchings. They are a circular "fletching" that pops off on impact. You can then tie very light string to the fob and stuff the rest of the steing inside the arrow. That way the fob pops off where you hit the grouse and if the arrow keeps going, it leaves a trail of string behind.
Keep in mind this setup requires a drop away rest and fobs aren't readily available in stores

Definitely didn’t know of fobs before. Looks like they have their own website. do you order from that FOBS website?

ey212 10-26-2022 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obsessed1 (Post 4571760)
Flu flu arrows can help

Thank you! I will get some next time in the store!

3blade 10-26-2022 10:34 AM

Lighted nocks won’t show up under snow…learned the hard way.

G5 SGH is the best grouse point IMO, it tends to catch on vegetation and stop within a couple yards of the grouse. Only lost one in 14 years. Judos and blunts bounce and keep going.

bluetick 10-26-2022 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ey212 (Post 4571809)
Thank you! I will get some next time in the store!

Flu Flu Are Good out of a Trad recurve Bow, but not so much out of a compound or a whiskey biscuit rest.

ey212 10-27-2022 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluetick (Post 4571862)
Flu Flu Are Good out of a Trad recurve Bow, but not so much out of a compound or a whiskey biscuit rest.

Thanks for the tip! I use recurve bow so I’ll definitely try them out

IronNoggin 10-27-2022 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Passthru (Post 4571701)

Same here:

https://i.imgur.com/oc8pdKR.jpeg

Cheers

Brodhead 10-27-2022 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ey212 (Post 4571806)
Definitely didn’t know of fobs before. Looks like they have their own website. do you order from that FOBS website?

Yeah you'll have to order direct

H380 12-13-2022 09:24 PM

All good tips and comments here ,but the Best way to avoid arrow loss is shot selection . Take look at your target and determine if you think you can recover your arrow after a shot ..I've bowhunted a long time and this year more than any other that proved to be true .. Hunting bird game almost exclusively this fall in an attempt to fill requirements for an award taught the value of shot selection ..I was able to harvest 6 different species of ducks, 4 different grouse,a crow ,a starling and a snow goose as well as a couple magpies and kept my arrow loss to a minimun by deciding to limit my shots to those that I was sure of being able to recover my arrow.. quite a challenging season.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

jcrayford 12-14-2022 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodhead (Post 4571715)

Yep, I still run FOBs alongside other arrows. I haven't built the string tracker myself, but have looked at a few YouTube vidoes like this one

And yes, I have ordered directly from the FOB website

J.