Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Better Business Bureau (BBB) 2017 Scam Tracker Results (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=341361)

Selkirk 03-18-2018 12:36 PM

Better Business Bureau (BBB) 2017 Scam Tracker Results

http://fun4emeraldcoastkids.com/medi...gs/s/3110.jpeg

The BBB has recently released (March 6th) the results of it's 2017 Scam Risk Study. There's no big surprises
in their report, but the risks are continuing to evolve.

Apologies to some here, but I will not cut & paste the entire article, but I will post this short summary ...
The top ten riskiest scams in 2017 were:
1. Online purchase scam (up from #4 in 2016)
2. Investment scam (up from #6 in 2016)
3. Employment scam (no change)
4. Advance fee loan scam (up from #5 in 2016)
5. Fake check scam (down from #2 in 2016)
6. Home improvement scam (down from #1 in 2016)
7. Tech support scam (up from #8 in 2016)
8. Travel/vacation scam (new to top 10, #12 in 2016)
9. Family/friend emergency scam (no change)
10. Government grant scam (new to top 10, #11 in 2016)

The full BBB article makes for a very good read; https://www.bbb.org/en/us/article/ne...b-scam-tracker

Selkirk

hal53 03-18-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selkirk (Post 3753843)
http://fun4emeraldcoastkids.com/medi...gs/s/3110.jpeg

The BBB has recently released (March 6th) the results of it's 2017 Scam Risk Study. There's no big surprises
in their report, but the risks are continuing to evolve.

Apologies to some here, but I will not cut & paste the entire article, but I will post this short summary ...
The top ten riskiest scams in 2017 were:
1. Online purchase scam (up from #4 in 2016)
2. Investment scam (up from #6 in 2016)
3. Employment scam (no change)
4. Advance fee loan scam (up from #5 in 2016)
5. Fake check scam (down from #2 in 2016)
6. Home improvement scam (down from #1 in 2016)
7. Tech support scam (up from #8 in 2016)
8. Travel/vacation scam (new to top 10, #12 in 2016)
9. Family/friend emergency scam (no change)
10. Government grant scam (new to top 10, #11 in 2016)

The full BBB article makes for a very good read; https://www.bbb.org/en/us/article/ne...b-scam-tracker

Selkirk

Where did the Better Business Bureau come in on the list? :)

Selkirk 03-18-2018 01:05 PM

The part of their report I liked most :
" ... Although the total number of scam reports was up, the overall susceptibility was down. The percentage of consumers who actually lost money to a scam fell from 18.8 percent in 2016 to 15.8 percent in 2017. The report also notes a 17% decrease in the median monetary loss, down to $228 from the previous year."

Maybe people are Finally starting to get wize to these scams!

Selkirk

MK2750 03-18-2018 01:19 PM

The BBB is a freaking joke.

Being in the heating and cooling industry, I searched a company I know to be questionable; Reliance Home Comfort.

They have them listed as A+ and 3.84 out of 5 stars

Below that they say;

491 total complaints

9 positive reviews
3 neutral reviews
73 negative reviews

Does this make sense to anyone? Does this look like an A+ business to deal with?

The company I work for has the same A+ rating with ZERO complaints filed.

hal53 03-18-2018 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK2750 (Post 3753892)

Being in the heating and cooling industry, I searched a company I know to be questionable; Reliance Home Comfort.

Below that they say;

491 total complaints

9 positive reviews
3 neutral reviews
73 negative reviews

Does this make sense to anyone? Does this look like an A+ business to deal with?

Exactly!, apparently all you need to get a good rating from them is to make sure your annual dues are paid on time

270person 03-18-2018 02:36 PM

Quote:

Below that they say;

491 total complaints

9 positive reviews
3 neutral reviews
73 negative reviews

Could have been worse. could have been Dyand.

Jays toyz 03-18-2018 10:07 PM

A few times over the years a customer has threatened to go to the BBB. usually when caught trying return fraud. It would give me a chuckle as I paid into that scam for 20 years and know full well what they can and can't do, and would win any " non binding arbitration" if it had ever gone

CaberTosser 03-18-2018 10:24 PM

When I was with my Dad's plumbing shop we were BBB members for decades, but when it came down to having to deal with them due to some hysterical client who was making it their personal vendetta to slander us the effort was not worth the useless rating. We dropped the BBB and never had an issue because we had and maintained great relationships with our customers, this person was an anomaly. Everyone in a service industry knows that you can't please everyone all the time, some people are just impossibly picky and they'll be equally miserable to any other service provider that they cross paths with.

drhu22 03-18-2018 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hal53 (Post 3753872)
Where did the Better Business Bureau come in on the list? :)

That's what I'm wondering... havent heard much good regarding BBB lately

fishtank 03-18-2018 10:40 PM

Quote:

Below that they say;

491 total complaints

9 positive reviews
3 neutral reviews
73 negative reviews

It’s a joke indeed it’s been a Paid to play system from the start ... if you paid a fees you can maintain a good rating :rolleye2:

ScalyOJ 03-23-2018 02:00 AM

I know what you guys mean, 2 years ago i lost a roof cause i wasnt BBB accredited he was all worried i wasn’t legitimate, i didnt fight him too hard he seemed like the guy who would hold onto the final check just cause he doesnt know a thing about roofing.
Last year i paid my dues and now i brag about my useless A+ rating. A lot of customers think its some government thing or an actual bureau that has a voice of some kind.

I called them and said, ill sign up but i want A+ out the gate cause you have no complaints against me, they said ok. I tried a few times to convince customers hat bbb was just a marketing gimmick, but pay the fee and go with the flow i suppose. If i gain 1 extra roof a year from it it was worth it.
Hats of to the BBB though, top notch marketing. As well as angies list and homeadvisor.

Also, if anyone is looking for a edmonton roofer with a A+ rating on BBB :lol:

pikergolf 03-23-2018 06:30 AM

BBB is a scam. Scammers muscling money out of hard working peoples pockets. A little like the mob.

Bushrat 03-23-2018 07:20 AM

BBB aren't they run by the same people who run APOS?