Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Winter Trout Fly Swap (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=117021)

Daceminnow 01-05-2012 12:31 PM

Winter Trout Fly Swap

hello all,

we've done these before on OA and i'm wanting to start and look after one this winter. i'm thinking a dozen members and trout flys as the theme. if i can fill the dozen spots within a week or so say Jan 15th., i would want all flys mailed out by the participants one month later by Feb 15th. you tie 12 flys and send them to me along with a self addressed and stamped envelope and i mail you back 12 different flys tied by our talented members. i don't tie but Dace JR. has offered to tie up one of his creations for the swap. you've seen many of his ties pictured hanging out of fishes yaps this past year on the fishing forum pages. if interested, please put your OA handle and the fly name you wish to tie and we'll see if there's enough interest to do this.

thanks,

Dace

1. Dace JR - Fly TBD

npauls 01-05-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daceminnow (Post 1241045)
hello all,

we've done these before on OA and i'm wanting to start and look after one this winter. i'm thinking a dozen members and trout flys as the theme. if i can fill the dozen spots within a week or so say Jan 15th., i would want all flys mailed out by the participants one month later by Feb 15th. you tie 12 flys and send them to me along with a self addressed and stamped envelope and i mail you back 12 different flys tied by our talented members. i don't tie but Dace JR. has offered to tie up one of his creations for the swap. you've seen many of his ties pictured hanging out of fishes yaps this past year on the fishing forum pages. if interested, please put your OA handle and the fly name you wish to tie and we'll see if there's enough interest to do this.

thanks,

Dace

1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
2. npauls- BH pheasant tail or BH Evil Weevil in one of the colors I tie.

does this work Dace? I am not the best at tying but I will do my best to make these ones look good.

Dust1n 01-05-2012 01:32 PM

1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
3.FH7 - catonic leech
Pm me your address Dace

SalmoTrutta 01-05-2012 01:36 PM

great Idea, but deadline wouldn't fit my schedule right now, I'd be all over it in the spring though.

Daceminnow 01-05-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

hello all,

thanks,

Dace

1. Dace JR - white BH bunny leech
3. FH7 - catonic leech

Quote:

Originally Posted by npauls (Post 1241106)
does this work Dace? I am not the best at tying but I will do my best to make these ones look good.

sound great nate. i'd like to see your weevil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 (Post 1241137)
Pm me your address Dace

no problem. you best start tying. you missed the deadline on the last one.

Thanks guys,

Dace

npauls 01-05-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daceminnow (Post 1241159)
sound great nate. i'd like to see your weevil.

Thanks guys,

Dace

I will do my best to tie the weevils then. I don't know if I have the same color dubbing as the original ones but I tied them in black, beige, grey, brown, and green last time and they have hooked some fish. I think I made the bodies to bulky last time so I will thin them up a bit this time.

tacklerunner 01-05-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
3.FH7 - catonic leech
Pm me your address Dace

Just to confirm FH7, Dace's deadline is actually Feb 15, 2012

wbaj 01-05-2012 06:51 PM

I'm in

Quote:

1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
3.FH7 - catonic leech
4.wbaj - Stimulator
Pm me your address Dace

Works great in the fall

fish gunner 01-05-2012 07:08 PM

not sure how to get involved in this fly trade could pull off sum floro fins quick time. mickey fin variant .bulls and brookies love it in runnoff conditions.

npauls 01-05-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish gunner (Post 1241658)
not sure how to get involved in this fly trade could pull off sum floro fins quick time. mickey fin variant .bulls and brookies love it in runnoff conditions.

Just quote the last list and add your name to it. Make sure to have a dozen tied up and sent to Dace's address with a return address so he can send you one of every other fly that is tied.

fish gunner 01-05-2012 07:46 PM

cheers should I tie them in the same color combo and where do I get address

fish gunner 01-05-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacklerunner (Post 1241241)
Just to confirm FH7, Dace's deadline is actually Feb 15, 2012

Quote:

1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
3.FH7 - catonic leech
4.fish gunner- floro fin,mickey fin variant
Pm me your address Dace

address also please

npauls 01-05-2012 08:02 PM

Ya tie them all the same so that everyone that gets one can test the same fly.

Pm Dace for his mailing address.

I really hope my flies look and fish good for everyone that gets one.

GaryF 01-05-2012 08:09 PM

1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
3.FH7 - catonic leech
5. GaryF - crystal caddis

fish gunner 01-05-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npauls (Post 1241790)

lol only the fish really get to judge thank you for you help

Bigtoad 01-05-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryF (Post 1241800)
1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
3.FH7 - catonic leech
6.bigtoad - foam boatman

Cheers.

icefever 01-05-2012 08:31 PM

I'm in

Originally Posted by GaryF
1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
3.FH7 - catonic leech
6.bigtoad - foam boatman
7. icefever - zonker
Enjoyed the last flys I got, look forward to seeing some more new ones

wbaj 01-05-2012 09:06 PM

I'm in

Quote:

Originally Posted by icefever (Post 1241843)
1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
3.FH7 - catonic leech
6.bigtoad - foam boatman
7. icefever - zonker
8.wbaj- stimulator

I'll try this again

uplander 01-05-2012 09:21 PM

1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
3.FH7 - catonic leech
6.bigtoad - foam boatman
7. icefever - zonker
8.wbaj- stimulator
9.uplander-cutthroat candy

Daceminnow 01-05-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

hello all,

thanks,

Dace

1.Dace JR - white BH bunny leech
2.npauls- BH Evil Weevil
3.FH7 - catonic leech
5.GaryF - crystal caddis
6.bigtoad - foam boatman
7.icefever - zonker
8.wbaj- stimulator

looking good so far guys. a real nice assortment. i've received a few PM's asking for my address. lets let the last 3 spots fill up and i'll send it out to all participants at once.

thanks again,

Dace

fish gunner 01-06-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npauls (Post 1241790)

1/4 of the way done flys look sweet ,one more nites tying and then off to paint .been a while since I had an excuse to hide in ma man cave. kind of stoked to see what I get to try new, this coming spring mite have to learn to nymph lol.

npauls 01-06-2012 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish gunner (Post 1242255)
1/4 of the way done flys look sweet ,one more nites tying and then off to paint .been a while since I had an excuse to hide in ma man cave. kind of stoked to see what I get to try new, this coming spring mite have to learn to nymph lol.

I will help you out with nymphing if you can take me out for some top water lessons. I am terrible at dry fly fishing and usually resort back to nymphing pretty quick.

There is a river down this way I could show you and see if you can get into a few nice bows.

trapshooter 01-06-2012 01:08 AM

1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
3.FH7 - catonic leech
6.bigtoad - foam boatman
7. icefever - zonker
8.wbaj- stimulator
10.Trapshooter - Ant Pattern

Hopefully this will work!

fish gunner 01-06-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npauls (Post 1242262)
I will help you out with nymphing if you can take me out for some top water lessons. I am terrible at dry fly fishing and usually resort back to nymphing pretty quick.

There is a river down this way I could show you and see if you can get into a few nice bows.

ah yes the dry. I find the way you read the water is the real trick. then you can work out where one has to stand to get the drift you need. then the hard part puting the fly in that spot this is crucial. now timing the drift to pass over as the fish should be coming. back up . and last but not least the part nymph folk struggle with ,waiting just a little bit to let the fish take the fly. most nymph fisher persons strike like lightning at the rise,pulling the fly away from the fish.

Kingfisher 01-06-2012 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapshooter (Post 1242266)

1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
3.FH7 - catonic leech
6.bigtoad - foam boatman
7. icefever - zonker
8.wbaj- stimulator
11. Kingfisher - Prince Nymph

Holy smokes I barely made it in. I have been working on a "Special" version of the prince nymph. I think you will all like it. Don't know if it will catch fish yet as I haven't tried it. But I wouldn't tie it up if I didn't think it would work. I am going to call it my "Spot on Prince". You folks in the swap will be the very first to get this fly.

ONLY 1 MORE SPOT TO GO. Who will be the lucky last person?

Rob

fish gunner 01-06-2012 02:54 AM

spot on, in under the wire. full list in less than a day that is fast. who and what will make the the last spot, drum roll please . lol. wish this was like a once a month or two kinda deal, hmmm already thinking of what to tie if I get this chance again.

tallieho 01-06-2012 07:29 AM

hi all; if still in time night fighter lake fly

Daceminnow 01-06-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

hello all,

thanks,

Dace

1. Dace JR - BH white bunny leech
2. npauls- BH Evil Weevil
3.FH7 - catonic leech
5.GaryF - crystal caddis
6.bigtoad - foam boatman
7.icefever - zonker
8.wbaj- stimulator
12.Tallieho - night fighter

Tallieho grabs the last slot with the "night fighter". cool. well that filled up real quick, thanks to all the participants. with the great response to this swap maybe another member should look at firing another up. i will PM my addy out to all this evening. remember to include with your dozen flys a self addressed and stamped envelope so i can return to you, your new bugs. i will mail all envelopes out once the last batch of flys has reached my door. feel free to post a pic of one of your flys once completed in this thread.

thanks again to all the participating members, i look forward to seeing everyones creations in the next couple weeks. time to hit the vices.

1. Dace JR - BH white bunny leech
2. npauls- BH Evil Weevil
3.FH7 - catonic leech
5.GaryF - crystal caddis
6.bigtoad - foam boatman
7.icefever - zonker
8.wbaj- stimulator
9.uplander- cutthroat candy
12.Tallieho - night fighter

Dace

fish gunner 01-06-2012 08:59 AM

I am awe struck at the response to this swap well done mr minnow. feel like a kid in a candy store. I rarely if ever sit and tie a dozen of any one fly. it is a real test of my fly reproduction. I normally tie my flys one off and then get board and switch patterns. trying to reproduce 12 identical flys is a challenge, I am enjoying .not sure how to post pics from my phone or off my face book page help please.

Kingfisher 01-06-2012 11:58 AM

Fishgunner send me a pic to my email. I will PM you with the details. Then I will post a picture for you.

Rob