Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tow vehicle for boat (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=58296)

SushiUnagi 04-26-2010 07:41 PM

Tow vehicle for boat

Hi Everyone! I'm looking at getting a new vehicle to tow my 17.5' bowrider (w/ trailer and gear ~3000lbs) for this year. With so many rebates going on with the new trucks it seems to be a decent time to get in to it. :cool:

Curious what everyone use to tow your boat out to the lakes? I started ice fishing this past season too, so I think I would want a 4x4 so it could be used in winter as well.

Would you recommend an SUV or even a Truck? I'm thinking of hitting places like Newell, Traverse, CVR, Chain Lakes, McGregor, and Sylvan. The odd time maybe towards Shuswap.

I've been using my bro's Jeep Liberty last year and I recall towing my boat with it was sufficient but the gas mileage really sucked. Especially through the mountains towards Shuswap. The liberty has a 3.7L V6. Will a V8 actually save some gas in that scenario because its more powerful? Therefore less time revving at a high RPM? :confused:

Thanks so much!

Sushi :wave:

seahawkfisher 04-26-2010 08:07 PM

i use a ford explorer with a 4.6 v8 (2007). with 7000lb towing capacity, i thought it would be a good choice and it was. great for camping too, as you can keep all of your gear in it. the rsc (rollover stability control) makes towing a breeze, as i used to fight a bit of trailer sway with my previous vehicle and now can barely tell i'm pullin the boat. mileage isn't that great, but with a k&n cold air intake getting her over 300hp, you can't expect to be able to save at the pump.
cheers

thorne 04-26-2010 08:59 PM

What make, model are pretty much up to you, but I strongly suggest a truck, just for ease of throwing in all the associated crap you are going to start to aquire...I am using a nissan xterra now and it has lots of power (boat simular to yours) just would love to be able to throw all the xtra junk into bed an go! instead of having to organize everything in the back....Thing is its paid for and I am way to cheep to want a veh payment....besides I am having to much fun spending to much money on fishin fun!! But ya I will probably break down soon and get a truck as well....as far as milage...big engine little revs, little engine big recs...what ever, where you will save in the long run is towing a boat all summer, and 4x4ing all winter will wear out a mid size SUV alot sooner then a good 1/2 ton...so in the 5-10 year range....1/2 ton will win. Again I know this...so I am hoping next year my Xterra wears out!

hockey1099 04-26-2010 09:07 PM

Get a chevy Avalanche its the best combo of a truck and sport utility. I love my truck it hauls my boat in summer and gets me on the ice in winter.

Gas mileage is horrible

javlin101 04-26-2010 09:16 PM

I have had my 2005 Dakota V8 for 5 years & 120k. Put a shell on it so keeps all my equipment dry, even the dog. I pull a 16ft crestliner & my quad trailer. Enough power to pass will towing & rides pretty good. Gas mileage

Empty 110 on highway - 19mpg
Towing boat or Quads 100kmh on highway 12-14 mpg

Empty City - 14-16 mpg

iliketrout 04-27-2010 08:17 AM

I've been looking at the 2010 GMC Sierra and 2010 F150. If you get the larger engine (5.3L vs. 4.8L in the GMC) or the smaller engine in the Ford (5.4L vs. 4.6L) you can get a 6 speed transmission with 2 overdrive gears. Their advertised mileage is quite reasonable for a truck.

GMC Sierra 5.3L V8 6 speed auto 315HP - 15/21 MPG city/highway (better than the 4.3L V6, 4.8L V8

Ford F150 4.6L V8 6 speed auto 292HP- 15/21 MPG city/highway

Although if I were regularly towing a boat I'd probably want the bigger motor in the Ford, it gets 14/18 MPG 320HP, and has the 6 speed auto as well.

All these numbers are theoretical, of course, but my first choice is the GMC.

nicemustang 04-27-2010 08:36 AM

Good luck finding a 4.6L Ford. No such thing really these days, plus the 5.4 engine has more power but same fuel mileage for the 2010, better than the other big 2.

Gillfisher 04-27-2010 08:40 AM

I drive a 04 Dodge Dakota quad cab 4X4 4.7 litre V8 I also have a canopy on it to keep all my stuff dry & somewhat secure. It pulls my 10 foot tent trailer with no problem which weighs about 2600 lbs when empty. I also use it to tow my 12 foot trailered aluminum boat. Great truck so far and i no longer have to worry about getting stuck on the boat ramp.

Gillfisher

firegod74 04-27-2010 11:27 AM

I use a 06 Dakota with 4.7 to pull my 18.5 Bayliner. Pulls no problem, but the boat is wider than the truck so rear visibility sucks, and I have to focus on lane position a bit more.

TimC 04-27-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firegod74 (Post 573636)
but the boat is wider than the truck so rear visibility sucks, and I have to focus on lane position a bit more.

that's a good point for me, this way you can actually see your boat when you're backing up the ramp! :p

mooseknuckle 04-27-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iliketrout (Post 573491)
I've been looking at the 2010 GMC Sierra and 2010 F150. If you get the larger engine (5.3L vs. 4.8L in the GMC) or the smaller engine in the Ford (5.4L vs. 4.6L) you can get a 6 speed transmission with 2 overdrive gears. Their advertised mileage is quite reasonable for a truck.

GMC Sierra 5.3L V8 6 speed auto 315HP - 15/21 MPG city/highway (better than the 4.3L V6, 4.8L V8

Ford F150 4.6L V8 6 speed auto 292HP- 15/21 MPG city/highway

Although if I were regularly towing a boat I'd probably want the bigger motor in the Ford, it gets 14/18 MPG 320HP, and has the 6 speed auto as well.

All these numbers are theoretical, of course, but my first choice is the GMC.

This is the numbers for the 09-10 Dodge ram 1500 (5.7l Hemi with MDS)

18/29 mpg 396HP!!! & 404FTlbs!!! Won't find that with the other 2 IMO. And for a moderately equiped truck it's also cheaper.

Of course I've put a super charger on for another $6200 for 610hp:lol:. Gone through 2 transmissions but they installed it and gave me 3yrs powertrain and the clock goes back when have to replace it!!

I'm byist of course I've always liked dodge/mopar

Safety D 04-27-2010 12:17 PM

2011 Ford F-350 Super duty

Ken07AOVette 04-27-2010 12:19 PM

2000 F350 Dually Diesel. Chipped, exhaust and K&N filter, ave 22mpg winter, 26+ summer.

Towing capacity- VERY high

Seats 4 comfortably.

The only way I would ever change, is to go to a SRW, just to save money on tires.

mooseknuckle 04-27-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Safety D (Post 573679)
2011 Ford F-350 Super duty

I have to admit they are a nice looking truck. And more than enough power to tow anything!!! But you will pay for it. not sure on the 2011 but my dads 2010 was just over 62,000. I'd say it's overkill for just hauling a boat but who am I kidding more power the better right men!!

liv2fish 04-27-2010 01:51 PM

i would personally suggest a half ton as well. take each of the big 3 for a test drive and go from there. i personally like the fords but definitely get the 5.4 as it has way more power and an all around better engine if you choose the ford. its basically personal preference though. i find chevys have the nicest ride almost like riding in a car. dodges usually the powerhouse and i find ford has a nice combo of each. just my opinion though. good luck :D

Spidey 04-27-2010 08:26 PM

I picked up an 06 F250 with the 3v V10 and I love it. It gets virtually the same mpg as the 5.4 but with lots more HP. The newer superduties also have the trailer brake controller built in and IMHO Ford's trailer brake system works much better than any aftermarket brake you end up installing. I also recommend a topper for fire wood, camping gear and the family dog. In this picture, I've got almost half a cord of wood, the dog, two big coolers, pontoon boat, and one mountain bike all in the box of the truck. Let's see someone try and do that with an Avalanche;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...20pics/033.jpg

Vipergts118 04-27-2010 08:40 PM

If all you need to use it for is twoing your boat than getting a V-8 might be pointless. Yes you will get better millage towing with a V-8 but you will also get worse millage all year round when your not towing. I used to have a 2006 Tacoma and used it to tow my 18 foot 5000lb travel trailer and it towed it great. The millage did suck but the percentage I drive the vehicle all year round and get good millage without a trailer compared to the millage I lost towing with a smaller engine didn't make up the difference. I now own a Tundra 5.7 and the millage is great towing but not much better when i'm not. I spend a lot on gas all year round now. All depends on your usage.

Duramaximos 04-27-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseknuckle (Post 573675)
This is the numbers for the 09-10 Dodge ram 1500 (5.7l Hemi with MDS)

18/29 mpg

Maybe if you travel downhill in both directions, with a tail wind, while drafting a semi :lol:

If you plan on towing regularly, you might want to consider a diesel. You didn't mention your budget so i thought I'd throw that out there. It's no secret what brand I like ;).
Keep in mind any gasser will lose significant efficiency while towing. It's not uncommon to see a 20mpg half ton drop to 10mpg simply by hooking up a 3000# cargo trailer...ask me how I know :lol:

TimC 04-28-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipergts118 (Post 574106)
If all you need to use it for is twoing your boat than getting a V-8 might be pointless. Yes you will get better millage towing with a V-8 but you will also get worse millage all year round when your not towing. I used to have a 2006 Tacoma and used it to tow my 18 foot 5000lb travel trailer and it towed it great. The millage did suck but the percentage I drive the vehicle all year round and get good millage without a trailer compared to the millage I lost towing with a smaller engine didn't make up the difference. I now own a Tundra 5.7 and the millage is great towing but not much better when i'm not. I spend a lot on gas all year round now. All depends on your usage.

I'm in the same boat as i'm shopping for a new tow vehicle this year.

I agreed that i do not need a v8 full size pick up to tow my 17 lund, but the price difference between a full size pick up and the mini-pickup (Tacoma, colarado, etc) is so close that it will a better buy to get a full size.

Was also thinnking to get a full size SUV to do the job, but after seeing the price tag, I think i'll go buy a nice truck for $40,000 :cool:

Kramsky 04-28-2010 01:05 PM

Ford 150. Mine is beat up in the patch every day. It's a strong truck with good milage. I pull a 30 foot bumper pull holiday trailer with my quad and yamaha generator on the truck. Plus if you like the box space ford is the only on that makes a 1/2 ton truck with a crew cab and a 6 and a half foot box. everyone else with a crew cab only makes a 5 something foot box. Don't buy a deisel unless u really need it every thing about them is more $$$$. But everyone thinks their truck is the best. Hope u find a good rig:wave:

SushiUnagi 05-03-2010 12:10 AM

Thank you VERY MUCH everyone! Really appreciate all of your invaluable feedbacks from your experiences. I've never owned a truck before but sounds like I'll head that direction. SUVs are nice but for my use (esp. towing the boat in summer) it sounds like a truck is better suited (and designed) for that purpose. The truck models I am considering is also $10k less than a smaller engine SUV I was initially comparing with.

My budget is roughly $30k, so the diesel engines, duallys, avalanches, are definitely out of my budget and overkill for my purpose for sure. Although thanks for suggesting that, and my bad as I didn't specify my budget.

I'm currently considering either the Ford F150 Ext Cab with the 4.xL V8 or the GMC Sierra Ext Cab Nevada Package 4.8L V8 (or Chevy Silverado Cheyenne Package 4.8L V8). Hopefully my friend at the GM Dealership can get me an even better deal.

This is probably too early to ask, but where do you guys take it to 'pimp your ride'? or 'sup' it up? around Calgary?
I'll also need those mud flaps thingy that goes across the width of the truck end on the hitch to protect the boat from gravel roads.

Not much asians drives a half ton pickup I guess..but if I do go with it and run in to any of you at the boat launches, come say hi! that'll most likely be me. haha

Thanks,
Sushi

ishootbambi 05-03-2010 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duramaximos (Post 574109)
Maybe if you travel downhill in both directions, with a tail wind, while drafting a semi :lol:

If you plan on towing regularly, you might want to consider a diesel. You didn't mention your budget so i thought I'd throw that out there. It's no secret what brand I like ;).
Keep in mind any gasser will lose significant efficiency while towing. It's not uncommon to see a 20mpg half ton drop to 10mpg simply by hooking up a 3000# cargo trailer...ask me how I know :lol:

a diesel to pull a boat a couple times a year???:huh: sound like an extra 8k well spent :lol::lol::lol:

Stump thumper 05-03-2010 10:42 AM

I agree, a truck is the way to go. I pull a 16' jet boat and just picked up a truck camper so I can camp and haul the boat around. SUV's really limit what you can do in terms of hauling stuff. A truck leaves open a lot more options and versatility, ie hauling a camper, guad, dirtbikes, etc along with your boat.

seahawkfisher 05-03-2010 08:51 PM

i have to say it; the suv comes in pretty handy when you are hauling 5 or 6 buddies out to the lake to do some fishing (unless they want to sit in the box). and yes, adults can fit in the third row (at least in my explorer) comfortably. as for hauling camping gear; i find getting at stuff is easier than trying to lug it over the side of the box of the new 4x4 trucks that are about 4.5 feet high. with proper placement in an suv, everything you haul is within reach of a side door or the lift gate. can't take the quad and the boat at the same time, but finding stuff in the dark is pretty easy with interior lights and all of you stuff stays air conditioned lol.
cheers

Tredeb 05-04-2010 08:14 AM

I think I would bump up to the 5.3L in the chev. Mine gets 20+ mpg consistently when empty and around 15 pulling my boat. I think you will appreciate the extra power and I have seen them advertised for under $30K

Duramaximos 05-04-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishootbambi (Post 578687)
a diesel to pull a boat a couple times a year???:huh: sound like an extra 8k well spent :lol::lol::lol:

I guess you missed the part where I said "if you plan on towing regularly..."
:rolleyes:

Don't want to de-rail the OP's thread, but suffice it to say $8K is money well spent for me, and I'm sure it is for many other folks out there.
Sounds like the OP has his mind made up on a 1/2 ton, so I won't get into the benefits of a diesel.

I'm a GM guy so I say go for the 2010 Sierra. :cool:

ishootbambi 05-04-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duramaximos (Post 580267)
I guess you missed the part where I said "if you plan on towing regularly..."
:rolleyes:

Don't want to de-rail the OP's thread, but suffice it to say $8K is money well spent for me, and I'm sure it is for many other folks out there.
Sounds like the OP has his mind made up on a 1/2 ton, so I won't get into the benefits of a diesel.

I'm a GM guy so I say go for the 2010 Sierra. :cool:

by regularly you mean 4 times a year instead of 3? he seems to have made up his mind alright...no sweat, then i wont get into the downfalls of a diesel. :cool:

SushiUnagi 05-07-2010 06:06 PM

Thanks again everyone!

Negotiated a good price including the trade-in on our old family Honda minivan. Picked the Ford F150 XLT at the end because it seems nicer both inside and out. Actually comparing apples to apples, the interior of the Ford looks much nicer. But thats just my observations. It was definitely very difficult picking one over the other. As they are all very similar and more than capable of doing what I need. Price was identical as well. So it really came down to which truck has nicer screws and bolts.

Hopefully I can pick it up soon and tow my boat out for some fishing!!! :)

Thanks all!
Sushi:sHa_shakeshout:

mooseknuckle 05-07-2010 07:06 PM

Congrats on the new purchase. I think you'll be happy.