Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wood Buffalo debating on a 'no camp zone" of 120km around FMac (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=358232)

josey 01-23-2019 09:25 AM

Wood Buffalo debating on a 'no camp zone" of 120km around FMac

https://www.mix1037fm.com/2019/01/22...mp-moratorium/

Ouch! A 120km (2 hrs?) each way commute? That would definitely be a bad idea with typically 12 hr shifts on the roads up there. Geez.

NCC 01-23-2019 09:35 AM

What's the issue? Is the Mayor trying to get everyone who works in Ft. Mac to move there?

Grizzly Adams 01-23-2019 09:39 AM

After a recent presentation by one of the Ft. Mac administration Honchos , I came to the conclusion they're living in a world of their own, not connected to reality. Talk about pure BS.

Grizz

josey 01-23-2019 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC (Post 3917574)
What's the issue? Is the Mayor trying to get everyone who works in Ft. Mac to move there?

Yes, they want the workers to live in the community and spend their money there instead of having everything provided on site/at the camp.

CaberTosser 01-23-2019 10:08 AM

That would be pretty easy to crush with the lawyers that the interested parties can afford, especially when they approach it from a safety perspective. Not on the extremely congested roads going in and out of town? Then you can't be in an accident on them, nor congesting them in the first place. Its a traffic safety & cost issue. Could you imagine the buses required?? And the unnecessary fuel burnt doing so?

This would be picked apart easily.

243plus 01-23-2019 11:07 AM

People and politicians in Ft. Mac used to have pretty good heads on their shoulders. Apparently that has changed.

Ken07AOVette 01-23-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 243plus (Post 3917623)
People and politicians in Ft. Mac used to have pretty good heads on their shoulders. Apparently that has changed.

Massive fires will do that to a community

josey 01-23-2019 12:02 PM

That idea is floating around for years. Definitely not a product of the fire

MountainTi 01-23-2019 12:05 PM

They walk among us.....idiots

urban rednek 01-23-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 3917578)
After a recent presentation by one of the Ft. Mac administration Honchos , I came to the conclusion they're living in a world of their own, not connected to reality. Talk about pure BS.

Grizz

They sound like disciples of the Nenshi/Farrell/Carra school of governance and social engineering. Awesome. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

CaberTosser 01-23-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette (Post 3917663)
Massive fires will do that to a community

As will a hive mind fostered by daily safety meetings & heavy union involvement. Those union leaders tend to enjoy transitions to politics (no offense to Cat who should be a refreshing voice of common sense among those normally in such positions)

JeanCretien 01-23-2019 12:35 PM

Why don’t they create a dedicated bicycle lane from Edmonton to Ft Mac instead.
Sounds like they are being paid off by someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken07AOVette 01-23-2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberTosser (Post 3917696)
As will a hive mind fostered by daily safety meetings & heavy union involvement. Those union leaders tend to enjoy transitions to politics (no offense to Cat who should be a refreshing voice of common sense among those normally in such positions)

I wan't being serious lol :sHa_sarcasticlol:

CaberTosser 01-23-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette (Post 3917701)
I wan't being serious lol :sHa_sarcasticlol:

No worries, I couldn’t make sense of it anyways ;)

Drewski Canuck 01-23-2019 02:49 PM

Tax base tax base tax base!!!!

Alot of Fort Mac did not get re built after the fires. Alot of owners where on some level happy to have the Property Insurance pay off the mortgages, and with the downturn, decided to re locate their families south and work in Camp.

The MD gets to tax all of these camps, even though it is Crown Land under lease with a development permit. This is a special deal for Municipal Districts from the Province, because there are so few private land owners to tax in an MD. It has resulted in a windfall for MD's like Wood Buffalo and Opportunity though.

Now the Mayor knows that those vacant lots left from the fire have been re assessed down hundreds of thousands of dollars because there is no structure on the lots. Think how much this has hurt Fort McMurray's bottom line! Trouble is, who is going to re build in Fort McMurray with the current economic outlook if they have a CHOICE??

I for one hate the Work Camps for the reason that during the Boom, alot of non residents were flying in for a 21 day shift, not spending a cent in Alberta, and paying their Provincial Income Tax to Provinces like BC and Quebec. This was just fine with Provinces like BC and Quebec. Neither Province paid a cent for the Infrastructure that the Workers relied upon for their 6 figure jobs in Alberta, but Provinces like BC and Quebec got the benefit.

Trouble is, the facility locations make commuting from Fort McMurray logistically impossible.

Drewski

fish_e_o 01-23-2019 03:22 PM

one thing i was thinking was that the highways around there need a whole lot more traffic

this should work well

jstubbs 01-28-2019 09:42 PM

Ft Mac council voted unanimously in favour.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...rium-1.4996357

Rig-Rat 01-28-2019 09:58 PM

I think a lot of the counsel must have residential investments that are not doing so well, now that the $450,000 house that use to cost $800,000 has gone back down to $450,000.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't all the Oil companies up there be paying lease's to the community in order to be there? Pretty sure they are up there free and pay their fair share of tax's to the area.
I don't ever go into town but lot's of guys do make a trip in to buy a meal or whatever.

TreeGuy 01-28-2019 11:27 PM

I was last in town back in September and was astounded by the lack of crack heads. Apparently council in it's infinite wisdom seeks to reintroduce these creatures back to their natural habitat?

Jamie 01-28-2019 11:50 PM

Go buy some houses.... Its going to get very expensive up there again.

nimrod 01-29-2019 06:51 AM

It's going to be tough for a 120 klm no go zone around wood buffalo, as there is a town on the west end of the park, Garden River,

elkhunter11 01-29-2019 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nimrod (Post 3921376)
It's going to be tough for a 120 klm no go zone around wood buffalo, as there is a town on the west end of the park, Garden River,

This is about the Municiplality of Wood Buffalo, not the National Park. The 120km has been amended to 75km. And towns aren't the issue, there are other towns like Anzac, and Fort McKay, that actually stand to benefit from this.

nimrod 01-29-2019 07:30 AM

Sorry did not know that it was only the east side

does it ALL outdoors 01-29-2019 05:01 PM

They did this in Williston N.D in the Bakken oil play, they banned all "man camps"

Now there is a glut of new construction sitting empty they can't rent out.

NayNay 01-29-2019 05:20 PM

3 hours on a bus everyday, over inflated housing prices. Can't wait!
Oh yeah, I've worked at the Horizon site for the last 11 years and I can't see myself sticking around if this actually happens. If people want to live in Ft.Mac or stay in a camp it should be their choice. I doubt this will actually happen though.

Colin_r6 01-29-2019 06:36 PM

Develop the area, properly develop the roads and routes in/out/around Ft Mac and maybe make housing affordable - and you might have people relocate there instead! All I ever heard out of Ft Mac was people paying thousands a month in rent... for a bedroom!! I can only imagine how much they gouge for property taxes, insurance and utilities!

I wonder if this might force some of the companies who've invested $ in that area to stop dumping more into it...

Something about catching more flies with honey.

elkhunter11 01-29-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin_r6 (Post 3921780)
Develop the area, properly develop the roads and routes in/out/around Ft Mac and maybe make housing affordable - and you might have people relocate there instead! All I ever heard out of Ft Mac was people paying thousands a month in rent... for a bedroom!! I can only imagine how much they gouge for property taxes, insurance and utilities!

I wonder if this might force some of the companies who've invested $ in that area to stop dumping more into it...

Something about catching more flies with honey.

Having actually lived there for over 35 years, a bedroom ran $700 to $900 per month, and apartments/townhouses were typically $2000 to $3000. Even though it was half the size of my current house, my house was valued at the same my present house is, and my property tax was half of what I pay now. Utilities and insurance were comparable. The city and facilities were not nearly as bad as the people that don't live there make it out to be.

Rig-Rat 06-12-2019 11:44 AM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...rium-1.5171675

Little update to the situation. One less thing to stress for now anyways.