Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Cabela's Firearms (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=392365)

imbezol 12-21-2020 08:40 AM

Cabela's Firearms

Anyone notice that Cabela's has really trimmed down their firearm selection?

They actually deleted the whole Lever Action category along with all the rifles that used to be in it.

To be honest I don't really have any desire to purchase any from them anyways but they do have a nice website that makes it easy to browse, compare, and price match.

saskbooknut 12-21-2020 10:09 AM

What else do you do when you cannot replenish stock?
Have you not heard of the shortage of supply in the US?

Big Sky 12-21-2020 11:03 AM

IMO, Cabelas only sells items that they can sell a lot of. If you need something out of the ordinary, they are not the place to go.

If you're into fudge, they've got to be near the top of the list. :scared:

kilgoretrout 12-21-2020 11:10 AM

Selection

In the retail game its all about turns of inventory hence the lack of selection If you want something unique you need to support the specialty shops who even if they do not have it will order it in for you provided you put 50% down .... its just how the game works ..... sometimes the only way to get something is to go to the source

jungleboy 12-21-2020 11:43 AM

If you look on P&D’s web site , their inventory is way down as well. I think a lot of guns have gone out the door this year compared to other “normal” years and renewing stock is not as easy as it used to be. manufacturing has slowed + demand is high = low inventory.

imbezol 12-21-2020 11:49 AM

I did notice that the used handgun display at P&D was completely empty when I was there last.

jungleboy 12-21-2020 12:27 PM

I went for a .22 they are out of quite a few models and brands.

ward 12-21-2020 01:54 PM

It’s too bad that inventories are low. But high demand for firearms and ammo in Canada is good news. And good for shooting sports, hunting and related businesses.

-JR- 12-21-2020 02:58 PM

I heard if you buy a gun at Cabela's they do not give warrantee and you have to ship it to the manufacture for Warrantee . This is why I would go to PD first.

bobtodrick 12-21-2020 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sky (Post 4292378)
IMO, Cabelas only sells items that they can sell a lot of. If you need something out of the ordinary, they are not the place to go.

If you're into fudge, they've got to be near the top of the list. :scared:

For the last couple of years the only reason I go to Cabelas is for the snacks 😂

Jayhad 12-21-2020 04:37 PM

In the US this year there has been 7,000,000 fire arms purchases by new gun owners. Each one buys two boxes of ammo and it really isn't hard to see where the guns and ammo are going.

KUDUHNTR 12-21-2020 05:15 PM

At one time I heard that Canada was less than 3% of USA export, and sales of firearms and ammo, not sure if that in fact was an accurate figure or not?

KazIce 12-21-2020 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KUDUHNTR (Post 4292608)
At one time I heard that Canada was less than 3% of USA export, and sales of firearms and ammo, not sure if that in fact was an accurate figure or not?

That would sound right. The Canadian economy is roughly 1/10th of the US, so consider 10% the starting point. Then factor in the US demand for firearms versus Canada and 3% doesn’t sound ridiculous to me.

Cabelas is still a good store to have around, even if it doesn’t always have the right selection. In Calgary is hard (surprisingly enough) to find reloading components and they seem to have a good supply at least. Go figure? 1.3 million people and we don’t have a gun shop lol. I think more and more are turning online in guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Faststeel 12-22-2020 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imbezol (Post 4292230)
Anyone notice that Cabela's has really trimmed down their firearm selection?

They actually deleted the whole Lever Action category along with all the rifles that used to be in it.

To be honest I don't really have any desire to purchase any from them anyways but they do have a nice website that makes it easy to browse, compare, and price match.

Cabela's no different than any. other Canadian retailer. They close the lever action wing because no manufacturer in the world can supply them with Lever guns... end of story

colroggal 12-23-2020 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faststeel (Post 4293378)
Cabela's no different than any. other Canadian retailer. They close the lever action wing because no manufacturer in the world can supply them with Lever guns... end of story

Unlike many firearms retailers, Cabelas only lists what they have in stock or what they can get in stock. It's a bit annoying to search for a item and then inevitably see those three little words - out of stock.

Colin

elkhunter11 12-23-2020 08:16 AM

Like most firearms dealers, the supply is getting low, and the situation is only getting worse. Even during normal conditions, Cabelas typically only stocks the faster movers or the cheap firearms, and if there is an issue with a firearm, you are pretty much on your own to deal with the manufacturer, so they are not a place that I would ever shop for firearms.

Stinky Buffalo 12-23-2020 08:38 AM

With the gun ban list being essentially a living document, I'd be very hesitant to stock a lot of firearms if I was a retailer in Canada right now. Especially ones that are restricted.

colroggal 12-23-2020 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo (Post 4293658)
With the gun ban list being essentially a living document, I'd be very hesitant to stock a lot of firearms if I was a retailer in Canada right now. Especially ones that are restricted.

...or semi auto, or black/polymer stocked, or with a detachable magazine or anything else that can be deemed tactical or fun.

Colin

Stinky Buffalo 12-23-2020 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colroggal (Post 4293694)
...or semi auto, or black/polymer stocked, or with a detachable magazine or anything else that can be deemed tactical or fun.

Colin

Yup! Exactly.

Trochu 12-23-2020 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KUDUHNTR (Post 4292608)

That's still alot firearms thought. If they sold 18 M in 2020 in the US, thats 540K in Canada. Could be more though....

KUDUHNTR 12-24-2020 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trochu (Post 4293758)
That's still alot firearms thought. If they sold 18 M in 2020 in the US, thats 540K in Canada. Could be more though....

I found this part of an article form the gunblog.ca, lots of interesting facts and info there.

Companies brought in more than 334,000 guns in 2019, with an import value exceeding $150 million. At a hypothetical 25% markup plus tax, that would retail for more than $200 million.

Lots of good reading here

https://thegunblog.ca/facts-stats/