Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best Ultralight Tent for Hunting (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=384723)

Envitro 07-16-2020 08:25 AM

Best Ultralight Tent for Hunting

Hey guys n' gals, just looking for some experienced bivvy hunters to chime in on their preferred ultralight camp tents.

I'm in the process of getting ready for my first multi-day bivvy hunt in September with some buddies that I met on here, and I'm trying to decide between the REI Quarter Dome SL2 and the Tarptent Double Rainbow. It really comes down to value (price vs. performance vs weight).

Most of the reviews I read are for either the Pacific Northwest or California/Arizona, so if any of you Albertans have used either I'd be very interested to know your experience in September/October hunts.

And if you have another suggestion that won't break the bank I'd be open to it as well.

Thanks!

coxy95 07-16-2020 09:43 AM

Are you set on having a floor and a traditional style tent with a fly? You can get a lot more room for the same amount of weight with a tee-pee style tent. I happen to have one for sale in the buy and sell. Shameless plug i know

Envitro 07-16-2020 11:53 AM

Yeah, I've looked at the Tipi styled tents, but would prefer a floor I think.

Bushleague 07-16-2020 11:59 AM

For hunting, I just use a tarp. Theres no bugs out so IMO they work about as well as a tent. I use a stick and guy line to prop up one corner, and peg down the other three. Sets up and takes down in minuets.

coxy95 07-16-2020 12:20 PM

Are you looking for an actual bivvy or a tent? For just you or you and a buddy?

Envitro 07-16-2020 12:54 PM

Yeah, sorry, the bivvy term gets thrown around a lot.

Looking for a 2 person tent, for myself only, want some extra room for all the gear, etc.

dave99 07-16-2020 02:11 PM

What are you hunting? Do you plan on setting up camp above tree line and in wind exposed areas? How many nights in a row?

My experience is that sleep is sacred to keeping up energy and morale on multi day hunts. A bombproof but (relatively) lightweight tent like a Hilleberg Nallo will fit the bill, if your budget can handle it.

Otherwise the MEC Spark might be worth looking at if budget and weight are your top priorities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coxy95 07-16-2020 02:23 PM

I'm with Dave on this one, but if you're set on one of the two i'd probably go with the rainbow, it packs smaller and has more head room.

Esox 07-16-2020 02:30 PM

Hilleberg is hands down the best but youll pay for it. Stone Glacier makes a great 2 man tent and is just awaiting on the arrival of their new version. I pulled the trigger on the old version as I couldn't wait any longer for my mountain goat hunt. There is a dealer in BC called precision optics.

Envitro 07-16-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave99 (Post 4203913)
What are you hunting? Do you plan on setting up camp above tree line and in wind exposed areas? How many nights in a row?

My experience is that sleep is sacred to keeping up energy and morale on multi day hunts. A bombproof but (relatively) lightweight tent like a Hilleberg Nallo will fit the bill, if your budget can handle it.

Otherwise the MEC Spark might be worth looking at if budget and weight are your top priorities.

Starting out by going for rifle opener for Elk in the mountains (mid September).
3 nights in a row, max. I don't think we'll be setting up above the treeline, but still TBD.

Dubious 07-16-2020 03:12 PM

For early season or light and fast type solo setups I straight up run a bivy bag https://www.outdoorresearch.com/ca/a...SAAEgIjDfD_BwE It works really well set up in seconds light weight and takes up little room. Cons are your gear is out in the weather.

I have been running a older 2 man mountaineering tent for late season but everyone else seems to think they want to climb in there with me because it’s a 2 man tent and there to lazy or cheap to buy there own. Pros is getting away from the weather like snow driving rain and wind. Cons other people weight setup time heavy.

When I’ll be looking at replacing my tent it’ll be with a setup like this https://seekoutside.com/silvertip-tipi/ with A stove jack. Pros lighter than my tent stove sleeps me and my gear. Cons brother-in-law magnet price is in USD.

wildwoods 07-16-2020 03:17 PM

We love the Seek Redcliff. But, no floor. We throw a tarp down in base camp. It’s so nice to be able to stand up in your shelter for minimal weight penalty

JTRED 07-16-2020 05:53 PM

My first backpacking tent was a Alps Mountaineering Vertex 2.0(2 person but for me it's perfect for myself and gear). It's been really good but kind of heavy at almost 6lbs. My new one is the MEC Spark 2, also a 2-person but again perfect for one guy and gear. It's a lot lighter but so far has stood up to a pretty severe early season snow storm last year, all my hunts are in the Kootenays. The older tent was not very pricey but stood up to nine years of mountain hunting really well, it actually is in excellent shape I just wanted something lighter and packed smaller.

Cottus 07-16-2020 07:36 PM

I've consistently used just a tarp for shelter in the Willmore until it's colder than -10 BUT I've got a good sleeping bag and a really good sleeping pad. The shelter is just for sleeping in, and in 20-30 nights of bow season, October rifle, even in to November we've been lucky enough with weather to not need more.

If you have a decent bag and sleeping pad (and good merino wool tops and bottoms,) I'd recommend just trying the tarp and seeing what the other guys are running for tents, and what you like and don't like before spending $350USD plus shipping. If weather goes to crap you can store gear under the tarp and steal a spot in buddy's tent, or just get tough.

Sorry I can't provide specific info on the tents but they both seem pretty quality and very similar.

Mitch

Envitro 07-16-2020 09:15 PM

Thanks all, I'll take all that info under consideration!

GSPHunter64 07-16-2020 09:34 PM

I don't have any experience with either of the tents you mention but from my personal experience I would suggest getting a tent that opens on the side rather than on the end, it is much easier to get yourself and your gear in and out of.

GSPHunter64 07-16-2020 09:39 PM

One other thing I forgot to mention is that I recommend getting a very good, highly insulated sleeping pad/mat, the better you sleep on your trip the better your hunt will be.

Rod in the sticks 07-16-2020 10:45 PM

I`m running a Mountain Hardware Ghost Sky 2 and like it a lot, I`ve also head good things about the Nemo Hornet.

Natek 07-16-2020 11:02 PM

I love my seek outdoors cimmaron. I would agree with others for early season you can run a tarp. You could get a lite outdoors tarp and be super lightweight. Also doubles as a shelter for glassing if weather gets wet.

TOG 07-17-2020 06:56 AM

Three vs four season will make a difference on weight as well but would say a four season my be a bit more versatile in terms of pitch options. I would be looking at what Sling Fin has to offer they make some really great stuff including the tents for Stone Glacier. Big Agnes and Nemo are also ones not to over look.

teledogs 07-17-2020 07:38 AM

Since you did say best I will jump in with another Hilleberg vote. Been using them for almost 20 yrs and they are just fantastic tents. I have never been let down with them. I use an Akto and a Nallo 3. Pay once, cry once. Good luck with your decision.

Bushleague 07-17-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cottus (Post 4204047)
I've consistently used just a tarp for shelter in the Willmore until it's colder than -10 BUT I've got a good sleeping bag and a really good sleeping pad. The shelter is just for sleeping in, and in 20-30 nights of bow season, October rifle, even in to November we've been lucky enough with weather to not need more.

If you have a decent bag and sleeping pad (and good merino wool tops and bottoms,) I'd recommend just trying the tarp and seeing what the other guys are running for tents, and what you like and don't like before spending $350USD plus shipping. If weather goes to crap you can store gear under the tarp and steal a spot in buddy's tent, or just get tough.

Sorry I can't provide specific info on the tents but they both seem pretty quality and very similar.

Mitch

With a good sleeping system a tarp will go much lower than that. Slept out down to -30 on several occasions. Honestly, the colder it gets the more I prefer a tarp due to less condensation build up. Counting on one's tent to keep them warm is foolish IMO, even with a stove you end up spending half the night sweating and the other half cold.

As well, there is some idea that a tarp is inferior during inclement weather. Personally I'd rather spend a couple rainy days hunkered under a tarp than cooped up in a tent. And last but not least, I enjoy watching my fire burn down and the stars come out while I'm falling asleep rather than looking at the inside of a rain fly.

https://live.staticflickr.com/1869/4...1417970b_k.jpgP1080087 by , on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...4a3e7205_k.jpgPA190254 by , on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f28fafd1_k.jpgP6270019 by , on Flickr

Mr. Twister 07-18-2020 03:39 AM

Sg 2p

I have had the Stone glacier 2P for 2 seasons, its a great backpacking tent. I have heard people have issues with the clip style in high winds.

Personally I do my best to make camp out of the wind and don't like packing water so I can't see myself setting a tent up on the top of a mountain, so for me the clip style is not a concern.

Prairiewolf 07-18-2020 08:10 PM

Ironically I set up a couple of tents in the backyard this afternoon to check them over and have a couple of beers doing it.

I like my MSR Hubba Hubba - they don't make exactly that but they do have one with "NX" on the back end. It'll fit you, your gear, and you'll stay dry. Lots of guy-out points on the fly to keep it up in heavy wind / snow. Weighed in at 2173 grams all in.

I also have a Seek Outside Cimmaron. VERY nice to be able to add a stove for mid-late season. A half-nest will keep bugs off you but limit weight. A bit more room than the MSR. Weight:
*Poles and Pegs: 484 grams
*Tipi (old style, the new dyneema are alot less): 1189 grams
*Nest (not necessary but nice): 739 grams
Total: 1673 grams no nest, 2412 grams with nest

I forget what the stove weighs, it'll be enough to carry around I'll say that.

nimrod 07-23-2020 06:02 PM

I have the tigoat 7.5 - 3 plus gear, luxe for just me and my gear, and light outdoors tents for 3 guys plus gear, all have stove holes, soon to add a oware tent to the mix, just need to add a stove hole to it, 2 light outdoor titanium stoves with 8ft pipe, these stoves work with all the tents. I have problem collecting I know, but we take which ever tent that works for our hunts. nice to dry out gear when needed.

Patrickn 07-23-2020 06:22 PM

For everyone who is using a Hilleberg tent, where are you getting them from?

OL_JR 07-23-2020 07:30 PM

If cost is a concern I wouldn't overlook Northface. I've had a Rock 22 for 8 years or so and a Stormbreak 1 for a couple. I think they are great tents for the money. I've never had a real expensive backpacking tent but from experience I'm not sure what I'd be missing. The tents are light, simple, durable, never had a leak. They do come with cheap steel pegs though so those got swapped out for some lightweights.

dave99 07-23-2020 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrickn (Post 4207478)
For everyone who is using a Hilleberg tent, where are you getting them from?

I purchased mine from Hilleberg USA. I think their HQ is in Washington state.

As a heads up, I saw a Nallo 3 GT in the Hunting for sale on this site a few days back. Might be worth a look.

Pasc43 08-01-2020 03:20 PM

Hilleberg aren't even close to ultralight... I'm looking into the Dan Durston X-Mid 2P currently.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk

Big bore dinosaur 08-03-2020 06:08 PM

Ultra light

Trying out my kuiu ultra star P1 this aug.. sure is small.
Going to bring a bivey just incase..lol

Like my mountain hardware but its heavey in comparison's