Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Grande Prairie Whitetail HELP (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=371011)

T23Outdoors 10-18-2019 03:13 PM

Grande Prairie Whitetail HELP

Hello all,
I am pretty new to the Grande Prairie, and I am struggling immensely to try and find somewhere to hunt whitetail. I am a meat hunter and not looking for trophy. I just want to fill my Doe and Buck tag to have meat in the deepfreeze!

I have been hunting in 526 chasing elk around as a family member had a cow tag, and I also have my mule deer doe for that zone.
I have only seen 2 whitetail doe's and one basket buck but I could not gain permission to hunt them...

Can anyone point me in a direction?

Greatly appreciated!

st99 10-18-2019 03:26 PM

get the ihunter app, crown land starts 20 minutes drive in any direction and whitetails can be found everywhere (in low density compare to pre-2010)

Z7Extreme 10-18-2019 03:27 PM

Head down the 2 lakes hwy.. take a lease rd that heads into the bush/fringe land. But first confirm it is crown land before you hunt.

obsessed1 10-18-2019 03:51 PM

X2 get the I hunter app. And the county maps so you know who owns what. Drive to the end of a RR any where from teepee creek to Valhalla and start hunting. Thick bush quarters just off of any crop or hay fields often hold wt deer. Get on the cut lines early and late. The deer are there.

Chuck_Wagon 10-18-2019 04:31 PM

county maps
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...1pMRC1OTjZVTmc

HELL 10-18-2019 04:48 PM

Go hunting

I know some good places if you give me a call 4033545158

Torkdiesel 10-18-2019 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T23Outdoors (Post 4041957)
Hello all,
I am pretty new to the Grande Prairie, and I am struggling immensely to try and find somewhere to hunt whitetail. I am a meat hunter and not looking for trophy. I just want to fill my Doe and Buck tag to have meat in the deepfreeze!

I have been hunting in 526 chasing elk around as a family member had a cow tag, and I also have my mule deer doe for that zone.
I have only seen 2 whitetail doe's and one basket buck but I could not gain permission to hunt them...

Can anyone point me in a direction?

Greatly appreciated!

So you only saw two whitetails while you were out hunting?

Better hurry up and fill both tags before there’s none left to shoot !

buckbrush 10-18-2019 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torkdiesel (Post 4042123)
So you only saw two whitetails while you were out hunting?

Better hurry up and fill both tags before there’s none left to shoot !

He said he couldn't gain permission. Some of us civilians can't just hunt where
ever we please...

Torkdiesel 10-18-2019 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckbrush (Post 4042131)
He said he couldn't gain permission. Some of us civilians can't just hunt where
ever we please...

I was talking about the other ones he hasn’t seen yet 😉 lol

husky7mm 10-18-2019 09:31 PM

Your not seeing much on crown land in the bush because there aren't many, they have been overharvested. Why not focus on the leh you have and help the friend with the elk and split it? Save some whitetail for stock.

Torkdiesel 10-18-2019 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husky7mm (Post 4042140)
Your not seeing much on crown land in the bush because there aren't many, they have been overharvested. Why not focus on the leh you have and help the friend with the elk and split it? Save some whitetail for stock.

Bingo !

270person 10-18-2019 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husky7mm (Post 4042140)

Great suggestion. He should save deer got others. Like you I suppose.

Why don't you not hunt....and save some for everyone else.

buckbrush 10-18-2019 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torkdiesel (Post 4042133)
I was talking about the other ones he hasn’t seen yet 😉 lol

10-4. Makes sense now.

husky7mm 10-19-2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 270person (Post 4042153)
Great suggestion. He should save deer got others. Like you I suppose.

Why don't you not hunt....and save some for everyone else.

Your right, its a shared resource, exploit it. Get yours or someone else will. Treat it like a rental.

bucksman 10-19-2019 09:14 AM

T23Outdoors T23Outdoors is offline Join Date: Oct 2019

Default WMU526 Whitetail

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey friends.
Can anyone point me in a direction where I can find out what the whitetail population is like in WMU526?

I see that tags are general in this zone but in the 2 years I've been hunting it I have only seen 3 Doe's and 1 Buck ( Basket 3pt )

There is definitely a HIGH population of Mule Deer, seems I can find at least 30 Doe's a day and anywhere from 6-10 Bucks ( nothing huge so far )

Im getting the feeling that if I shoot my 2 whitetail tags in this zone I may not see any next season...

what have you tried since your last post where you saw 4 whitetails:thinking-006:

270person 10-19-2019 06:36 PM

:sHa_shakeshout:
Quote:

Originally Posted by husky7mm (Post 4042294)
Your right, its a shared resource, exploit it. Get yours or someone else will. Treat it like a rental.

While you go non hunter for the next few years?

husky7mm 10-19-2019 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 270person (Post 4042500)
:sHa_shakeshout:

The perspective I have shared is educated, qualified and solid. If you had any firsthand knowledge of the area and problem you would agree, but instead your just a guy on the net chirping. Some people need to do that to feel good about themselves, you do you.

To the OP, there are whitetail throughout the crown land outside of the private farmland in the GP area. They are just in low densities. The generous season and bag limit would lead you to believe they must be plentiful and you are just not finding them. The truth of the matter is they are managed with about as much care as coyotes or rabbits. They don’t want scads of them, especially anywhere near the caribou zones. Whitetail deer are very tenacious and can easily expand their range and explode in numbers. Management doesnt want that to happen for a number of good and bad reasons so hench the long season and generous bag limit. Your best bet is the farmland if you can secure permission. Showing up in camo during hunting season and asking if you can shoot the deer standing in the field is not the way to go about this. Start much earlier in the year.
Again you are not seeing many whitetail because away from the cropland there are not a ton of them.
Look for new cut blocks, recent built pipelines with clover and short green veg in the fall when all is brown. The bush deer move around based on the food quality so hot spots will change. Put in the time to find these spots. Go and make your own luck, it will feel and taste better that way. Hunt....

270person 10-19-2019 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husky7mm (Post 4042530)
The perspective I have shared is educated, qualified and solid. If you had any firsthand knowledge of the area and problem you would agree, but instead your just a guy on the net chirping. Some people need to do that to feel good about themselves, you do you.

To the OP, there are whitetail throughout the crown land outside of the private farmland in the GP area. They are just in low densities. The generous season and bag limit would lead you to believe they must be plentiful and you are just not finding them. The truth of the matter is they are managed with about as much care as coyotes or rabbits. They don’t want scads of them, especially anywhere near the caribou zones. Whitetail deer are very tenacious and can easily expand their range and explode in numbers. Management doesnt want that to happen for a number of good and bad reasons so hench the long season and generous bag limit. Your best bet is the farmland if you can secure permission. Showing up in camo during hunting season and asking if you can shoot the deer standing in the field is not the way to go about this. Start much earlier in the year.
Again you are not seeing many whitetail because away from the cropland there are not a ton of them.
Look for new cut blocks, recent built pipelines with clover and short green veg in the fall when all is brown. The bush deer move around based on the food quality so hot spots will change. Put in the time to find these spots. Go and make your own luck, it will feel and taste better that way. Hunt....

Low density whitetail in the GP area? Do you hunt the area? I'm on my 10th day since Sept 17 hunting 521. Have probably seen 300 whitetails and 275 mulies

Are you a provincial wildlife biologist?

husky7mm 10-19-2019 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 270person (Post 4042541)
Low density whitetail in the GP area? Do you hunt the area? I'm on my 10th day since Sept 17 hunting 521. Have probably seen 300 whitetails and 275 mulies

Are you a provincial wildlife biologist?

Wow man, exactly 300 whitetail and 275 mule deer......how accurate your records must be.... How many of these deer are in farm fields, how many are you counting again every time you see them. Further the OP is more direct to GP than 521.
PS, for what its worth, and its a-lot I have been in the bush all around Gp every day but 2 since the august long. I am an oil field surveyor and I hunt pretty much every day I have off, I am in the bush for months straight.

bigwolf 10-20-2019 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husky7mm (Post 4042558)
Wow man, exactly 300 whitetail and 275 mule deer......how accurate your records must be.... How many of these deer are in farm fields, how many are you counting again every time you see them. Further the OP is more direct to GP than 521.
PS, for what its worth, and its a-lot I have been in the bush all around Gp every day but 2 since the august long. I am an oil field surveyor and I hunt pretty much every day I have off, I am in the bush for months straight.

If your not finding big deer numbers, your doing something wrong.. really wrong. They are everywhere on public land around GP

husky7mm 10-20-2019 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigwolf (Post 4042601)
If your not finding big deer numbers, your doing something wrong.. really wrong. They are everywhere on public land around GP

Hahahahaha

Jays toyz 10-20-2019 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigwolf (Post 4042601)

Grande Prairie Alberta, or Texas?

1899b 10-20-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 270person (Post 4042500)
:sha_shakeshout:

lol!!

270person 10-20-2019 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husky7mm (Post 4042558)

I don't really care how much you're in the bush. If you cant find whitetail in the GP area you might want to brush up on your technique. There's lots there but at least we know you'll be doing your part to keep it that way by leaving your gun in the ol gun safe. Good on ya.

husky7mm 10-21-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 270person (Post 4042968)
I don't really care how much you're in the bush. If you cant find whitetail in the GP area you might want to brush up on your technique. There's lots there but at least we know you'll be doing your part to keep it that way by leaving your gun in the ol gun safe. Good on ya.

Wow man your azz must get jealous of the chit that comes out of your mouth, when did I say I couldnt find whitetail?

Again, how many of the 57 deer you see on average everyday are bush deer away from the crops, farmland, fringe land? Crown land, no no permission required. I wouldnt be so quick to dismiss my observations, I spend about 25 days a month in the woods working, scouting, and traveling and I do this year round. I also converse with my other colleagues that put in similar hours. Nobody is seeing large numbers.