Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Caribou Mountains in Northern AB (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=389020)

gtmck1 10-15-2020 12:18 PM

Caribou Mountains in Northern AB

Hey all!

Does anyone know a way to explore the Caribou Mountains near High Level and Fort Vermillion. Is hiking in possible? Would quading in be possible? The areas of interest are Margret Lake, Rock Island Lake and Wentzel Lake. The purpose of this trek would be to find Red-throated Loons (google it) on these lakes. Has anyone ever travelled to these locations?

Chartering a float plane is quite pricey and likley out of my price range lol.

If anyone has experience in this area I would love to chat and get some more info.

Thanks

Grizzly Adams 10-15-2020 12:40 PM

Old as the hills. but there used to be a primitive road up to Margaret Lake from the road, east of Ft. Vermillion . Bush, as I remember it, would be hard to hike through.

Grizz

Talking moose 10-15-2020 12:54 PM

Can sled into semo lake. Good lake trout fishing too.

mxz1997 10-15-2020 06:24 PM

The first problem you’ll have is that entire area is blocked off by Natives right now, supposedly because of Covid. If it wasn’t, you could go up to the foggy tower road. From there, it’s only 30 kms of swamp to the nearest lake which is Semo. Another 15 or so would get you to Margaret. From there it’s about 20 more to Rocky. This entire area is swamp/bog. If you hiked in there, a marothon would feel like a 5 minute walk. It’s a very interesting area to see, but your only option would be an airplane or maybe an Argo.

sillyak 10-15-2020 08:25 PM

Can you drive to that old foggy tower airstrip? Or does it turn to goat trail before then?

KegRiver 10-15-2020 09:07 PM

I fought fire up there, and best bud has his trapline up there.

The name should be considered cautionary.

Grizzly Adams 10-15-2020 09:37 PM

I spent a summer near there , at Jean D'or prairie and still have vivid memories of the mosquitoes and black flies.

Grizz

KegRiver 10-15-2020 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 4249015)
I spent a summer near there , at Jean D'or prairie and still have vivid memories of the mosquitoes and black flies.

Grizz

It's a different world up on top.
It's more like tundra then Northern Forest up there.

I don't remember a lot but I do remember it being cold in the shade on a hot day, like near zero in the shade and +20 in the sun.

My bud won't even try going to his trap line until after freezeup. And he ain't no shrinking violet.
I tried riding with him but couldn't take the punishment. I had to get my own machine before I could accompany him on his line.

Funny thing, I was training him back then. Now he is ten times the trapper I ever was.