Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Invasion Of Prussian Carp (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=251988)

Fishslayer99 04-17-2015 08:31 AM

Invasion Of Prussian Carp

Viewers beware....this is the horrific site I saw while exploring new water bodies within 30 minutes of Calgary. I was hoping for some Pike or Perch instead I find this. I have never seen anything quite like it in my life, I am afraid it may be all downhill from here. Something should have been done about this years ago, or at least a better effort! this water body is connected to many irrigation canals. all irrigation reservoirs south and east of Calgary are in danger!:sign0176:

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/...pswdjjcopk.jpg

The below pisture link will take you to a Photobucket video, you have to scroll down to view...don't know why...not very good at this stuff.

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/...psoa3vjxtr.mp4

AlbertaAngler 04-17-2015 08:57 AM

So that video is them boiling in the water? Scary stuff.

Fishslayer99 04-17-2015 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbertaAngler (Post 2803219)
So that video is them boiling in the water? Scary stuff.

Yes it is...they were stacked on top of each other...Pisture link? lol guess I cant spell...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

RayL42 04-17-2015 09:33 AM

Did you report it to ESRD ?

http://esrd.alberta.ca/recreation-pu...cies/fish.aspx

edmhunter 04-17-2015 09:34 AM

Very scary situation for sure!!!!

How do they taste? Did you try it?

Fishslayer99 04-17-2015 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayL42 (Post 2803265)

Yes it has been reported.

lds 04-17-2015 09:55 AM

What water body is it. Maybe we can try and fish em out to keep the numbers down. And rule on catch and kill?

Fishslayer99 04-17-2015 10:11 AM

No PM's Please

Quote:

Originally Posted by lds (Post 2803308)
What water body is it. Maybe we can try and fish em out to keep the numbers down. And rule on catch and kill?

I would like nothing more to tell everyone where this occurred and have a "carp party" but I am waiting to hear back from ESRD before I disclose the info... I may get myself into some trouble if I do. Please do not PM me..my messages are filling up quickly. I will keep everyone informed and updated as soon as I can.

Thanks.

Lefty-Canuck 04-17-2015 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishslayer99 (Post 2803320)
I would like nothing more to tell everyone where this occurred and have a "carp party" but I am waiting to hear back from ESRD before I disclose the info... I may get myself into some trouble if I do. Please do not PM me..my messages are filling up quickly. I will keep everyone informed and updated as soon as I can.

Thanks.

Why would you get in trouble?

LC

Fishslayer99 04-17-2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 2803326)
Why would you get in trouble?

LC

If ESRD shows up to do something about it and the banks are lined with 1000 people, I could see that being a problem...no?

TROLLER 04-17-2015 10:21 AM

F&W said any caught in the |Bow should be destroyed and not put back.

Let's hope we can have a good get together and attempt to get a few hundred of these things the hell out of here. It is a start at least.

Fishslayer99 04-17-2015 10:44 AM

A little late?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TROLLER (Post 2803335)
F&W said any caught in the |Bow should be destroyed and not put back.

Let's hope we can have a good get together and attempt to get a few hundred of these things the hell out of here. It is a start at least.

Couldn't agree with you more! this should not have come to this in the first place. I am very concerned and fear the worst!

kostianych 04-17-2015 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishslayer99 (Post 2803334)
If ESRD shows up to do something about it and the banks are lined with 1000 people, I could see that being a problem...no?

so, you basically want the taxpayers money to be spent in the way they should be spent (ESRD will get paid for the work), and keep us away from our hobby??? :)

wwbirds 04-17-2015 11:06 AM

Weed lake and connecting canals are ful of them

Including the sloughs on my land that connect to Taylor Marsh. Never seen pelicans on my land until last year but now they fish the sloughs until they go dry in summer. Dogs have brought me a few dead prussian carp when we have been out walking and even the eagles seem to showing more interest in the sloughs and are hanging around.

adogwiththumbs 04-17-2015 11:18 AM

All the reservoirs SE of Calgary are boiling with them. Small bodies of water and large. The canals are full of them a month after initial flows start. These reservoirs are directly connected to both the Bow river, and Red Deer river. Fishing them out is pure fantasy. They are definitely here to stay. I have not tried them, but I do hope they taste good.

edmhunter 04-17-2015 11:24 AM

Has anyone tried them?? Hope they taste as good as perch! More then likely they taste like tilapia, which are disgusting!!!!!!! :sick:

hunhun 04-17-2015 12:19 PM

Not interested to try them, but I can image they are moving faster than ESRD's control action.

FlyTheory 04-17-2015 12:34 PM

Hunters (I am not) use rough fish for bear bait. Maybe once the info is disclosed and you guys find out they are full of bones, you can freeze the catch and give them to bear hunters.. Just an idea since you can't use these as bait.

Lefty-Canuck 04-17-2015 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishslayer99 (Post 2803334)

Why? As long as all are fishing legally no issues.

LC

Redfrog 04-17-2015 12:51 PM

Has CWD shown up in these carp? :thinking-006:
Edmhunter, Tilapia are very popular. Where did you try them? Farm raised in the Orient in sewage settling ponds? Where did you find them?

wife had some in aquariums so we don't eat them. Pets yanno.:thinking-006:

I would smoke some of these carp if someone had some fresh.

edmhunter 04-17-2015 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redfrog (Post 2803568)
Has CWD shown up in these carp? :thinking-006:
Edmhunter, Tilapia are very popular. Where did you try them? Farm raised in the Orient in sewage settling ponds? Where did you find them?

wife had some in aquariums so we don't eat them. Pets yanno.:thinking-006:

I would smoke some of these carp if someone had some fresh.

My Russian GF buys them from Superstore, they taste like chit, so NO THANK YOU! I will stick to my salmon, halibut, cod walleye and pike.

If the Prussian Carp taste like perch, I just may have discovered a new species to fish for, and if there are no limits, I will help to put a serious dent in the population lol :)

Why do Tilapia taste like poop, watch this and your know why! :sick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGoR4dbE1os

Redfrog 04-17-2015 01:20 PM

I don't think these carp are readily caught on a line. May have to trap or net them.

NEWB 04-17-2015 02:19 PM

We need to fly the muskie killer down here. I bet he could clean up the carp issue quickly in his search for walleye..

spinN'flyfish 04-17-2015 03:20 PM

that's horrible to see.... a user posted a video which showed 20 carp back in july, in the bow downstream of calgary...... hope it doesnt get to chesterslough, little bow, mcgregor or crawling valley. According to http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/goldfish-a...stem-1.1867792 it is due to some folks tossin' their pets in the system

anthony5 04-17-2015 07:44 PM

Carp

Not sure of the legalities, but a square hook works really good :sHa_shakeshout:

straight 04-17-2015 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmhunter (Post 2803426)
Has anyone tried them?? Hope they taste as good as perch! More then likely they taste like tilapia, which are disgusting!!!!!!! :sick:

They are actually pretty good, when cooked properly. Much better than perch to my taste. I hope I'll have a chance to catch a few before they gone.
BTW, the best way to control prussian carp number is snakehead (it taste good too)

WayneChristie 04-17-2015 09:04 PM

small piece of worm on a small hook under a bobber. then stomp them and throw them in the bushes

creighton 04-17-2015 10:34 PM

That is horrible and disappointing to see. I really hope it does not get worse.

chriscosta 04-17-2015 11:32 PM

I wonder if theyd eat corn like those giant carp they catch on tv

Secret coulee 04-18-2015 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight (Post 2804011)
They are actually pretty good, when cooked properly. Much better than perch to my taste. I hope I'll have a chance to catch a few before they gone.
BTW, the best way to control prussian carp number is snakehead (it taste good too)

They are amazing in my opinion they fillet out like perch or walley but better then perch they have really white meat but very firm meat at the end of May whan i caught then and i dip netted them cause there was thousand at the location i was at.and yea they really like pieces of worm.its just really unfortunate that we cannot net and use them for predatore baits in the winter cause in the next short yrs to come our predators are gunna be prayin on a invasive species that will be full blown naturel,very unfortunate but a disaster none the less on our hands to come.