Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Slow Fishing days? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=407617)

Spruceygoosey 01-17-2022 09:25 PM

Slow Fishing days?

Question on everyone’s strategy on those slower ice fishing days……

I was one of many out at Lac Ste. Anne this past Sunday. The bite was slow right from first light, to last light. No one around me was having much luck, and I have fished this lake numerous times. I get it, it happens.

My question is this:
What are your guys’’ strategies for those slower days, regardless of the Lake? Do you switch up the depth you are fishing? Different baits for slower days? Move around the Lake?

I tried 8-14 fow using jig and a minnow, rattle bait, spoons, bottom bouncing etc. I also moved spots a couple times.

Thanks

Drewski Canuck 01-17-2022 09:55 PM

Did you have a camera or fish finder, and were fish moving through?

Some fish can always be made to hit if you get them angry. Trouble is, they may not be moving much.

If the fish are not moving much, you have to drill alot of holes and keep moving until you hit the few fish that can be coaxed into striking.

Strange as it sounds, aggressive jigging will get the odd one to do a reaction strike. No hit within 5 minutes, then move on. Odds are there is nothing there, or it is lock jawed.

Drewski

Spruceygoosey 01-17-2022 10:54 PM

Slow Fishing days?

Drewski,

I did have my Sonar unit yes, with very little action showing up.

58thecat 01-17-2022 11:31 PM

I go to where they are, try different baits, presentations etc and if nothing move to another area with fish to see if they are at least active, rinse and repeat.:)

Spruceygoosey 01-18-2022 06:04 AM

Much appreciated Cat.
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZM 01-20-2022 02:08 PM

There's a few options ...

1) Move around and try different things

2) Booze and a BBQ lunch on the tailgate

SNAPFisher 01-20-2022 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZM (Post 4473651)

#2 will not improve the fishing report but can sure end the day on a good note!

3blade 01-20-2022 04:46 PM

Dead stick with a micro jig and maggots, tip up with just a minnow. And a comfy chair.

Eventually something will eat one or the other. Best ever ice walleye hit the tiny jig, only fish I caught that day. Got a few whites as well here and there, and the very odd pike on the tip up.

I have never had success with the super aggressive approach. Not saying it won’t ever work, but you are dealing with a cold blooded animal in almost frozen water…they aren’t active for a good reason.

pikeman06 01-20-2022 04:58 PM

Lots of high and low pressure changes this winter, I always found it was best in the winter when it's consistent, either brutally cold or milder, 3 or 4 days of consistent weather is a good thing. 20 degrees temperatures changes every 24 hrs and wind blowing east, west and north all in the same day, not so good. I find whites and trout less effected by the weather than our other species during the ice fishing season. Just my observations.

OL_JR 01-20-2022 08:30 PM

Quote:

Really it comes down to this. I am a true believer that the fish are always biting somewhere, just depends how much effort you want to put into it. If I'm by myself the auger is going to hate me. If it's a family day pretty happy to just relax, punch some different depths in the general area. If they go that's good, if not that's just fine to.

graybeard 01-21-2022 09:48 AM

Quote:

Don't get me wrong #2 is nice. However if it is slow, I will change up what I am using every 10-15 minutes.

If I am with a buddy, I will see what he has on and do the the opposite.....size, color, depth, rattling...etc.

In my experience, sometime a simple change of lure or presentation can change your luck.

Good luck and yes I'll have another shot of liquid warmer... :happy0180:

Remps17 01-21-2022 10:18 AM

For me. If I am not marking fish quick, I move. I am known to test the integrity of the ice by drilling it out. On slow days I am drilling 50+ holes to find fish. It might be a subtle funnel, inside turn or a bench that is holding a lot of the fish.

If I am marking fish and will keep changing to something they like. That said a dead stick with a minnow and a single hook out fish anything I throw at them when the fish are negative.

These pressure systems like someone has already mentioned has messed with the fish a lot I have found. At least in our southern reservoirs at least.

Don’t be afraid to move and put that auger to work.

Jims83cj5 01-21-2022 10:28 AM

95% of the fish are in 5% of the water, git on the move and start drilling. Look at the lake contours, where you are at and where the fish could be at.