Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Snaring seminar (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=347175)

TrapperMike 06-28-2018 09:18 PM

Snaring seminar

The ATA will be giving a snaring seminar sponsored by the west central local in Alix on the 29th of September. Those that take the course will receive a certificate showing that they have meet tha ATA standards. This will meet the requirements that are being suggested to become necessary to use snares in Alberta. If interested or have questions send me a pm.

nube 06-28-2018 11:44 PM

What time? I will be down there on the 29th

spoiledsaskhunter 06-29-2018 09:19 AM

.......why not just give us some details?

parfleche 06-29-2018 02:36 PM

This may be a silly question BUT WHO certifies the snare man?
Where does he get the certificate qualifying him to be an instructor?
The person who talks the fastest?
!The person who jumps up and puts in his two cents before anyone else?
The person who is deemed a real M, Coy by a bunch of friends ?
The person who caught the most animals ?
The person who read the most books?
Before I go pay someone a ton of money I want to know who this fellow is ?
Although no one said it would cost yet , But time will tell!
Read this post carefully and ask yourself that same question.
Remember the question as to what is going to be adequate for the job is still up in the air

South west trappin RG 06-29-2018 08:44 PM

Give your head a shake. Some of the best coyote snare men in Alberta have taken the course. Snaring is the biggest complaints we have as a industry with government. Making a course to say we are profecinals an trying to keep one our best tools available in the future you question this? Mabe Marty will chime in I have talked with him a bit an he is allot better with words than me. I bet our coyote harvest would go down 90 percent if people had to use footholds. The majority wouldn’t do it. I have no affiliation with the Ata other than support their efforts to keep trapping available to my kids.

spoiledsaskhunter 06-29-2018 08:59 PM

still waiting for some details...…; is there something secret about this?

South west trappin RG 06-29-2018 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter (Post 3805159)
still waiting for some details...…; is there something secret about this?

Trapper mike said send him a message he is another big number coyote harvest guy that understands keeping up with the times.

TrapperMike 06-29-2018 10:29 PM

As Rod said pm me with your phone number and I will give you details. No secrets just to much info for my fat fingers to type it out.

parfleche 06-30-2018 12:31 AM

Hey bud , YOU give your head a shake , numbers dont mean you have the answer , Just because I question the validity of the methods that may or may not be used , Dont you be talking in a condescending manner towards someone you dont know!
I asked a plain enough question ,I believe my trapping ethics are as good or better than a lot of big number ,s people! So because I question , that should not make me a target . I will likely be at that seminar if time permits .
Just so you understand the fact a person drives a big rig does not mean he is a better driver than a taxi driver ! :)

wolfcrazy 06-30-2018 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parfleche (Post 3805213)
Hey bud , YOU give your head a shake , numbers dont mean you have the answer , Just because I question the validity of the methods that may or may not be used , Dont you be talking in a condescending manner towards someone you dont know!
I asked a plain enough question ,I believe my trapping ethics are as good or better than a lot of big number ,s people! So because I question , that should not make me a target . I will likely be at that seminar if time permits .
Just so you understand the fact a person drives a big rig does not mean he is a better driver than a taxi driver ! :)

Like a lot of courses you can take in life the instructors aren’t the subject expert but have been trained to deliver the course material and/or the message. You get what you take away from the course. Ask the instructors questions, talk with other students learn from each other. Regarding the snaring workshop the instructors are teaching you the best practices that we the trappers have. Not to say things arent going to change as we learn from each other. The goal is to not hold non target animals and efficiently/humanly harvest the target animal.

Some people can evolve on thier own and others need help.

kingrat 06-30-2018 08:12 AM

At the end of the day if u guys have to take some course to be certified humane snare people kind than what ever. At least u can still snare right. I'd gladly take it if we could use free hangers in the farmland here instead of power rams.

wolfcrazy 06-30-2018 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingrat (Post 3805242)
at the end of the day if u guys have to take some course to be certified humane snare people kind than what ever. At least u can still snare right. I'd gladly take it if we could use free hangers in the farmland here instead of power rams.

👍

Marty S 06-30-2018 08:32 AM

Well said wolfcrazy. That about sums it up.

Between trapping/snaring increasing in popularity plus the currently increased coyote prices, we've seen a spike in new trappers entering the field. The more people in the field, the likelyhood of more issues.

I believe the intention of the snare seminar is to ensure young and old, new and experienced are up to date with using the modern equipment, to insure we are snaring in a humane manner as well as reducing/eliminating bycatch.

So yes, the new trappers need this knowledge.

Also a lot of older men and women that are trapping/snaring are not up on their modern equipment knowledge, so the seminar is very beneficial to them as well.

In addition to this, the government wants to see that our industry is making steps forward to ensure we are doing the best job possible or else they will be forced to restrict us to make it look to the public that they are doing their job.

Who's the teacher supposed to be? Ideally some guy that knows the material very well that he is supposed to teach, ideally able to answer all the questions thrown out there. He won't do it perfectly, who can?

Marty S 06-30-2018 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingrat (Post 3805242)
At the end of the day if u guys have to take some course to be certified humane snare people kind than what ever. At least u can still snare right. I'd gladly take it if we could use free hangers in the farmland here instead of power rams.

Kingrat, the Saskatchewan trappers have a great opportunity coming up. There is scientific snare testing underway and undoubtably the results are going to prove that the modernized snares are both humane as well as selective. You and your buddies need to grab the ball and run with it once those results are made public. But it won't happen by itself, you and other likeminded people are going to have to work to usher it in.

Wolftrapper 06-30-2018 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrapperMike (Post 3804796)
The ATA will be giving a snaring seminar sponsored by the west central local in Alix on the 29th of September. Those that take the course will receive a certificate showing that they have meet tha ATA standards. This will meet the requirements that are being suggested to become necessary to use snares in Alberta. If interested or have questions send me a pm.

Thanks for the info. Good job!
I will still be up in the NWT mtns then but my son will be there.

South west trappin RG 06-30-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parfleche (Post 3805213)

I guess I was but on the other hand you don’t know a thing about the instructors or the material an you questioning the validity. Take the course an come up with ideas afterwards. Throw your ideas at the instructor if you have better practises.

spoiledsaskhunter 06-30-2018 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrapperMike (Post 3805199)
As Rod said pm me with your phone number and I will give you details. No secrets just to much info for my fat fingers to type it out.

...so you would rather respond to every request for information than type it out once with your fat fingers and post it here for everyone to see? wth? i've got no quarrel with you or your seminar, in fact i would very much like to attend, but not putting information here for everyone to read just seems bizarre to me.

if you cannot give a better reason for not posting it here than having fat fingers, something smells funny to me.

kingrat 06-30-2018 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty S (Post 3805254)
Kingrat, the Saskatchewan trappers have a great opportunity coming up. There is scientific snare testing underway and undoubtably the results are going to prove that the modernized snares are both humane as well as selective. You and your buddies need to grab the ball and run with it once those results are made public. But it won't happen by itself, you and other likeminded people are going to have to work to usher it in.

That will be huge, just about everyone in the south wants them, it's a lot of the northern guys that were against it.cant wait to see results.

parfleche 06-30-2018 01:37 PM

Wolftrapper I do agree , and for your info southwest I have taken the course and I do know what I,m talking about . And for your info I will be throwing questions at the instructors and I have already talked to Ann about what II think should be done and what should not be done as far a snaring in Alberta goes ! There is NO ONE who is more determined to see this gong show turned into something we can look back on with pride!
To start with we have two factions here : The registered and the Resident ,
and the registered dont have the same rules as the resident , WHY ? We are after the same game ! They also are not under the scrutiny that the residents are !
As resident we are considered extra FLUFF on the outside ! Don,t be mistaken there are some real trappers in this gang also ! So for the time being i will keep my thoughts and ideas to myself and unload them at the rendezvous If allowed .
Be ready for some different ideas that may rile up a few that are set in their ways!:)

Marty S 06-30-2018 02:15 PM

Awesome, let's chat at length, there. Why is it we haven't done so long ago?

It may likely be beneficial to realize that not everything is the same everywhere even in the whole of the areas of Alberta governed under resident trapping laws. Surely setting gear in and around the urban centres and some heavily populated rural regions will have differing challenges than those lightly populated rural regions and sparse populated regions.

It's great to talk abou stuff, off the record, to figure out collectively what we should pursue on the record.

It would be most beneficial to recognize that "it isn't always the same as my backyard", when we do try to come together and figure things out. Some of us may need that slogan branded into our right hands!

South west trappin RG 06-30-2018 08:22 PM

Marty is spot on with his response. Marty an me have talked a lot about different practises an what works for him vs what works in my area. I trap private land just as much as I trap my two registered lines. Parfleche I would love to here your views at the rendezvous. What’s your name an we can meet I love to hear others best practices it helps the whole community

parfleche 06-30-2018 08:53 PM

Southwest I also would appreciate a visit , I have some good ones and some not so good , I will see you at Westlock:)

nube 06-30-2018 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter (Post 3805270)
...so you would rather respond to every request for information than type it out once with your fat fingers and post it here for everyone to see? wth? i've got no quarrel with you or your seminar, in fact i would very much like to attend, but not putting information here for everyone to read just seems bizarre to me.

if you cannot give a better reason for not posting it here than having fat fingers, something smells funny to me.

Well I sent a PM and now he wants my name and phone number so he can phone me?
I think I will pass on this now.... too bad as I was going to be a 5 min drive away from this course on that date!

Maybe it would work if we could have a sticky with any course or meeting at the top of the page people can just add the info. might be an idea for future courses and meetings?

Red Bullets 07-01-2018 01:34 AM

Wolfcrazy and Martys' comments are right on point. I thank both of you for your comments and clarity.

I just wanted to comment on Parfleche's comment about "who are our Alberta instructors?". Parfleche needs to know the bigger picture. And maybe others won't have to wonder also.

A recognised college used to be involved in certifying instructors and maybe still are. It used to be that Lakelake College was involved in administrating a certified (offcampus) program called "The Canadian Trapper Instructor Training Program."
The instructor course was recognised by the Agreement on International Humane Trapping Standards(AIHTS), which the global fur industry is indirectly based on. Humane trap testing, development and certification recognised by the AIHTS is done mostly in Canada and a good portion of testing and development is done in Alberta, making Alberta a leader in championing today's global fur trade. I'm pretty sure our instructors are kept up to date on using the traps and snares that are certified. Any courses being offered and paid for must have to be certified by some aspect of the provincial fur management program. The provincial fur management works in conjuction with the canadian governments programs governed through the Fur Institute of Canada.

I trust those who are instructing our trapping programs and thank them for their efforts to keep our trapping practices to a certain standard.

A good website for the big picture of everything about fur in Canada is 'The Fur Institute of Canada'. https://fur.ca/about-us/

parfleche 07-01-2018 03:49 AM

Well , There we are ! That wasn't so hard was it? Now I have the info I was looking for , And yes I also agree with Wolf and Marty , Sometimes you just have to squeeze the toothpaste tube a little harder to get what you want!

H380 07-01-2018 06:44 AM

Im sure a lot of folks like me cant make it to the rendevous up north but would still be interested in taking such a course ..is it mandatory yet and will it be offered down south here?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

spoiledsaskhunter 07-01-2018 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nube (Post 3805483)
Well I sent a PM and now he wants my name and phone number so he can phone me?
I think I will pass on this now.... too bad as I was going to be a 5 min drive away from this course on that date!

Maybe it would work if we could have a sticky with any course or meeting at the top of the page people can just add the info. might be an idea for future courses and meetings?

guess a sticky place wouldn't work either nube, as he'd have to post his info with his fat fingers!............for whatever reason, info is secret and he'd have to have your name and no. anyway.

Marty S 07-01-2018 08:14 AM

C'mon Phil... post your phone number in big red letters like this!!!

norma mag 07-01-2018 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H380 (Post 3805531)
Im sure a lot of folks like me cant make it to the rendevous up north but would still be interested in taking such a course ..is it mandatory yet and will it be offered down south here?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

x2. Thanks for asking H380.

South west trappin RG 07-01-2018 09:21 AM

Phone the Ata they will set up a courcec if there is the required ammount of people.