Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Good perch fishing near Redwater AB (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=335821)

Centralalbertasongdogslay 12-22-2017 12:22 PM

Good perch fishing near Redwater AB

I'm looking to take my 10 y/o niece ice fishing on Boxing Day and tips for good lakes close to red water perch being the main interest or walleye if there's a lake you can keep them or big pike. But I'm a perch hunter!

NSR Fisher 12-22-2017 01:47 PM

Moose lake is probably the closest lake to redwater where you can keep 1 Walleye over 50 cm.

There are some big pike & the occasional perch in Moose to go with the Walleye.

Hope this helps! Good luck :-)

Drewski Canuck 12-22-2017 03:09 PM

Mons lake, home of the micro perch!!!

Lets face it, you want action and not quality. That is what hooks a kid on fishing.

Nothing speaks of LACK OF QUALITY like Mons Lake. However, you will kill a lot of maggots in an afternoon! And that is what the kids like!

If you have a fish camera, you will keep kids entertained for hours watching the schools of perch inspect your bait.

Little Girls become especially blood thirsty watching the fish play with the hook. Then they grow up and become soccer moms.

Anyways, keep the tent warm, and take lots of pictures of the adventure.

Drewski

Centralalbertasongdogslay 12-22-2017 04:01 PM

Thanks for the input guys much appreciated

lund17 12-22-2017 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck (Post 3694304)
Lets face it, you want action and not quality. That is what hooks a kid on fishing.

Nothing speaks of LACK OF QUALITY like Mons Lake. However, you will kill a lot of maggots in an afternoon! And that is what the kids like!

If you have a fish camera, you will keep kids entertained for hours watching the schools of perch inspect your bait.

Little Girls become especially blood thirsty watching the fish play with the hook. Then they grow up and become soccer moms.

Anyways, keep the tent warm, and take lots of pictures of the adventure.

Drewski

X2 on Mons Lake. I did it with my son when he was 4 years old. Fished outside in -20 degree weather for about 6 hours. It was non stop action and he never went to the truck to warm up. Now he is 14 and my go-to fishing buddy.

CMichaud 12-22-2017 05:09 PM

Closest is probably Halfmoon Lake better bring the 50lb floro to take on those slobs!

dustinjoels 12-22-2017 11:54 PM

Second on half moon. You won't catch anything of size, but you can catch 6" perch all day long which will keep a kids attention.

Talking moose 12-23-2017 05:48 AM

Agree with half moon

Sundancefisher 12-23-2017 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinjoels (Post 3694614)
Second on half moon. You won't catch anything of size, but you can catch 6" perch all day long which will keep a kids attention.

Use perch eyeball a soon as you can. They last longer than maggots. My record ice fishing is 100 perch one eyeball.