Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Canadian made workboots (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=357970)

Unregistered user 01-18-2019 06:29 PM

Canadian made workboots

Howdy, I'm in the market for a new pair. I used to wear Terra but since they started making them in China they are **** and still cost the same as the much better quality (and comfy for my old feet) Canadian made product. Looking for recommendations please and I'm not looking to save a buck, I just like feet that don't kill me after a shift. Cheers!

lannie 01-18-2019 06:34 PM

Dayton boots out of Vancouver are supposed to be great but I have actually never worn any. Maybe someone else has? They have been around for 70 + years.
Next pair will be from Dayton for me.

https://www.daytonboots.com

Bush Critter 01-18-2019 07:07 PM

Canada West boots, made in Winnipeg, good quality work boots. I got the iron worker ones they are my light uninsulated pair I alternate between those and my uninsulated Red Wings for working in the heat of summer. I work outside a lot so I have 5 different pairs of work boots the two mentioned and two more insulated Red Wings and for extra cold weather a pair of Baffin’s.

For my line of work good quality foot gear is a must, buy once cry once. Also depending on weather conditions I always alternate my boots, that way I’m always comfortable and get full used of my investment. I still use my first pair of Red Wings, had them for about 12 years changed the soles on them twice already.

Jeff336 01-18-2019 07:17 PM

I’ve got the Canada west climber boots, I’ve had them for 2 years now at 6 days a week and still going strong. It took me a long time break them in. They were super stiff learher and a real rigid sole. I definitely won’t hesitate to get another pair when these ones are shot. They are pricey but will last years unlike those junk pairs from marks or whereever else.

RigPig 01-18-2019 08:13 PM

Another vote for canada west boots. Viberg are better but hard to justify the price.

Redneck 7 01-18-2019 08:55 PM

When spring comes I’ll be buying a pair of Canada west boots, look like a roper boot. I’ve been wanting this boot for a couple years now but didn’t want to have it when I was scaffolding in refineraries. Since I’m back as a carpenter I’ll get a pair.

M.C. Gusto 01-18-2019 10:06 PM

Viberg. Just make sure you get the winter sole

MK2750 01-18-2019 11:32 PM

Kodiak use to be made in Canada and a very good boot. I haven't bought them in years so maybe not what they use to be.

Unregistered user 01-18-2019 11:33 PM

Thanks for the responses so far guys, Canada west looks good, Viberg doesn't seem to offer a steel toe, so no go there.

Cow tooth 01-19-2019 06:18 AM

I’ve got a pair of viberg steel toes going on 3 yrs old and still good as new, but are on the spendy side. You have to go to there work boot site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dewey Cox 01-19-2019 09:08 AM

I have a pair of the canada west cowboy style steel toe boots.
They are nice boots, but there's not much under your feet for cushion, so you feel pretty beat up at the end of the day.
Now I only wear them about twice a decade if I'm anywhere near a horse.

SnipeHunter 01-19-2019 09:10 AM

Hard to beat the quality of military surplus.

man of steel 01-19-2019 11:15 AM

I wear Viberg Stompers for working in a plant. By miles, the best ironworkers I have ever bought. Outlast all the cheaper boots I used to buy by at least 3x. Very comfortable. Made in China but very good quality.

Unregistered user 01-19-2019 11:27 AM

Thanks cowtooth, I'll check that

Sitting Bull 01-19-2019 12:15 PM

I wear Royer brand. Have been good for my needs.

Unregistered user 01-20-2019 06:56 PM

Has any one here ordered boots from bootsbootsboots.ca ? they are priced way lower than any local stores, just wondering if they're passing off chinese crap as Canada West boots

RigPig 01-22-2019 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered user (Post 3915825)
Has any one here ordered boots from bootsbootsboots.ca ? they are priced way lower than any local stores, just wondering if they're passing off chinese crap as Canada West boots

Buy with confidence. I have ordered in the past.

Unregistered user 01-22-2019 02:12 PM

^ Good to know, thanks.

Raptor Boy 01-22-2019 10:21 PM

Boots

Go see Damien at Reddhart in NE Calgary
Go for the Royer’s - best boot I have had and great service
Plus they have a Huge Carhartt selection which is also nice

Wellcraft264 01-22-2019 11:51 PM

ecWB3Z

Little off topic but if any of you ever find yourself in the Loydminster area do yourself a favour and stop off at Northern Workwear outlet, it's right on 17 just south of Hwy 16 jct.

Marks work wear house is a joke compared to this place. We shopped there years ago when I was a youngster working the rigs and hadn't stopped in for a few years. We stopped in just before the holidays as I needed some work boots. Unreal the stuff they have in there. From men's and women's work clothes to warm wear for kids. Honestly stuff I have never seen an place else. If your looking for warm gear and work gear it's matched by none.

Do yourself a favour and stop in if you have the chance. If there are Canadian made boost out there I would just about garuntee they carry them.

catnthehat 01-23-2019 06:41 AM

I just found out that the Ironworkers Local 720 sells s Canadian made work boot that is inexpensive and stands up well ,CSA approved and well under $200!
I am going to check them out .
Cat

Dewey Cox 01-23-2019 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3917487)
I just found out that the Ironworkers Local 720 sells s Canadian made work boot that is inexpensive and stands up well ,CSA approved and well under $200!
Cat

Are they union made?

Okotok 01-23-2019 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3917487)
Cat

If they're ironworker boots with the soft, flat sole meant for walking steel, they're great but the soles wear out fast.

-JR- 01-23-2019 08:19 PM

I am on my 3rd year with a pair of Redwings
Comes with life time supply laces and stitching

All the other guys at work spend $50 less on a pair Dakotas and they they are on their third .

Unregistered user 01-23-2019 09:02 PM

I used to be a Redwing fan especially in days of yore when the truck came around to the site. Most of them are now made in China instead of the US just like my old standby Terra are no longer Canadian made, quality just isn't there anymore but the price is the same. I have a set of Canada West coming from bootsbootsboots.ca fingers crossed they're comfy.

Smokinyotes 01-23-2019 10:01 PM

I wore the Canada west steel toed cowboy boots for probably 20 years. I switched to JB Goodhue boots and couldn’t believe how comfortable they were compared to the Canada West.

Iron Brew 01-24-2019 08:00 AM

Viberg's are by far the best boot I've worn, but... the price is getting out there. Also, we now have to have metguards, and I prefer internal (the externals are always getting jammed in cable trays, piping etc). I've had to go with offshore for now until I find good, comfortable made in Canada internal Mets.

Nova 01-24-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Brew (Post 3918223)
I've had to go with offshore for now until I find good, comfortable made in Canada internal Mets.

The Unik boots I mentioned in the thread about internal met guard boots last week are Canadian made. Pretty sure this is the model I have: http://unikindustrial.com/en/produits/u-sf89481/

Rastus 01-24-2019 10:05 AM

BUT you know that people will shell out $100.00 for a pair of boots as compared to $200.00 for a pair of boots that last 3 times as long. They cannot see the forest for the trees. Oh well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rastus 01-24-2019 10:07 AM

And "THAT" is what the Chinese want. So who is at fault?