Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fishing Regulations. Do you hate the lay out ! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=397607)

-JR- 04-07-2021 03:29 PM

Fishing Regulations. Do you hate the lay out !

Every one I have talked to ,just hate the lay out .

I am sure there are a few on hear that will go against what I am saying ,
But it is not user friendly !

We all look in the book to find out about one lake ,what changes they made and if you can keep any fish.

Now to find that Lake I need to find out which water shed its in ,and there are a lot of them

I don't want to know that and i don't care .

Why can't they just have all the lakes listed all together in alphabetical order .

Its like looking in a telephone book and I need to find a guys name ,but i have to search all 6 area for his name . First i look in SE Edmonton and look for his name and when i can't find it I have to look in the SW part of Edmonton and can't find it .and so on ! This is what they did with the lakes in the regulations book . :angry3:

Smoky buck 04-07-2021 03:37 PM

Could they use improvement yes everything can but I don’t mind them and find them easy enough to use

ghostguy6 04-07-2021 04:17 PM

I much prefered the old style as well. The new style is a pain to read on a phone. I also found you have to scroll through many pages of adds before you find anything "regulations" related.

AlbertanGP 04-07-2021 04:19 PM

Try reading the B.C. regs...

Besides, it's 10 zones and half you can rule out right off the bat with common sense. Do you want them to come out and bait your hook for you too? :love0025:

Mumbles 04-07-2021 05:44 PM

I really like our format for the fishing regulations.
Probably the 2nd easiest to read and understand of the 5 province I’ve fished in recently. They are almost idiot proof kinda like looking at a picture.
I find most people that have issues with them are looking for issues and never bother to take the time to understand.
The regulations are one of our most valuable fishing tools each year and it surprises me the amount of anglers that go out time and time again year after year with out taking the time to learn to use this free easy to use tool.
They certainly do not go out fishing countless times without learning their boats or their expensive rods and reels but shrug their shoulders at learning understanding and properly using the regulations.

Penner 04-07-2021 06:25 PM

An big improvement over the previous layout in my opinion.

-JR- 04-07-2021 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumbles (Post 4358220)
I really like our format for the fishing regulations.
Probably the 2nd easiest to read and understand of the 5 province I’ve fished in recently. They are almost idiot proof kinda like looking at a picture.
I find most people that have issues with them are looking for issues and never bother to take the time to understand.
The regulations are one of our most valuable fishing tools each year and it surprises me the amount of anglers that go out time and time again year after year with out taking the time to learn to use this free easy to use tool.
They certainly do not go out fishing countless times without learning their boats or their expensive rods and reels but shrug their shoulders at learning understanding and properly using the regulations.

There is all all ways someone.

Who Da Fisherman 04-07-2021 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -JR- (Post 4358243)

Nope, I don't mind it. The map shows the areas then pick.
WDF

EZM 04-07-2021 07:48 PM

I don't understand the issue here. If you know where your lake is, geographically speaking, there should be no issue .....

At least you will (should) have a clue what zone that lake falls in??? The lake will then be listed alphabetically within that zone ????

I think it's just fine. I see no big challenge here.

alacringa 04-07-2021 08:06 PM

Quote:

Well you asked. Mumbles was just responding to you. I agree with him and EZM

58thecat 04-08-2021 08:06 AM

Quote:

I don't mind it...pretty easy to navigate and understand.

fisher69 04-08-2021 09:25 AM

i find it pretty straightforward, but i've never seen the older style. plus in the digital age its pretty easy to find out what zone you are in and if you aren't sure of a lake theres only a few options it could be.

also for using on your phone, you can go here https://albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/ (though for some reason when you click pp1 it actually goes to the pp2 page and then you have to click pp1 there to get to it) and then click a zone and then download the regs for just that zone. sometimes its even separated into rivers/streams and lakes/ponds depending on the zone. so if there is one or two zones you normally use just download those ones and then you dont have to scroll through the entire book every time.

mapleleafman3 04-08-2021 10:48 AM

I don't think that are bad at all. When using a device with a small screen it can suck a bit since the regs span the whole page and the lake/rivers sections are sideways. Otherwise I can't complain.

They should work on a better way to put the regs in the AlbertaRealm app instead of just using the PDF.

CBintheNorth 04-08-2021 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4358380)
I don't mind it...pretty easy to navigate and understand.

I agree.
There's always room for improvement, granted, but overall it's pretty good.

JohninAB 04-08-2021 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZM (Post 4358270)
I don't understand the issue here. If you know where your lake is, geographically speaking, there should be no issue .....

At least you will (should) have a clue what zone that lake falls in??? The lake will then be listed alphabetically within that zone ????

I think it's just fine. I see no big challenge here.

X2

flyrodfisher 04-08-2021 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostguy6 (Post 4358186)
The new style is a pain to read on a phone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapleleafman3 (Post 4358451)
When using a device with a small screen it can suck a bit

There are "paper" copies available....

huntsfurfish 04-08-2021 08:27 PM

I like it. No real issues.

Lornce 04-09-2021 08:10 AM

I've had no issues reading the Regs, if you download the PDF version you can even search a water body by name.

fisher69 04-09-2021 09:52 AM

one thing i do wish is that they had an online version of the regs that was like the old alberta fishing guide site, where you can lookup a lake specifically and get detailed info about it, with not just the limits but also what other species of fish are there. its too bad they didn't keep that site updated and it got shut down.

Stinky Buffalo 04-09-2021 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fisher69 (Post 4358813)
one thing i do wish is that they had an online version of the regs that was like the old alberta fishing guide site, where you can lookup a lake specifically and get detailed info about it, with not just the limits but also what other species of fish are there. its too bad they didn't keep that site updated and it got shut down.

That was a handy site, for sure.

Sounds like an opportunity for someone with some time on their hands and some web site experience, though! :sHa_shakeshout:

StiksnStrings 04-09-2021 12:07 PM

Regs

I find the electronic versions can be a bit challenging to use but, that's just me. As to the printed copy, I have no trouble navigating through it (years of practice maybe?) and I look forward to reading them every year when I renew my license.

WinFwt 04-09-2021 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StiksnStrings (Post 4358902)
I find the electronic versions can be a bit challenging to use but, that's just me. As to the printed copy, I have no trouble navigating through it (years of practice maybe?) and I look forward to reading them every year when I renew my license.

X2 on what Stiks said. Just have to remember to pick up the printed version now that I don't need a license. Small benefit to getting old I guess. :thinking-006:

SNAPFisher 04-09-2021 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -JR- (Post 4358173)
Now to find that Lake I need to find out which water shed its in ,and there are a lot of them

It is not like the lakes move every year or rotate between water sheds. They are always exactly where you found them last year...and the year before...

walleyechaser 04-11-2021 07:04 AM

Much better than other province regs. The online versions could use work, but overall it is easy to use.

Mumbles 04-11-2021 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -JR- (Post 4358173)
Every one I have talked to ,just hate the lay out .

I am sure there are a few on hear that will go against what I am saying ,
But it is not user friendly !

We all look in the book to find out about one lake ,what changes they made and if you can keep any fish.

I don't want to know that and i don't care .

Why can't they just have all the lakes listed all together in alphabetical order .

Its like looking in a telephone book and I need to find a guys name ,but i have to search all 6 area for his name . First i look in SE Edmonton and look for his name and when i can't find it I have to look in the SW part of Edmonton and can't find it .and so on ! This is what they did with the lakes in the regulations book . :angry3:

You’re right there is always one...
It appears to be you!!!
:scared0018:

calgarygringo 04-11-2021 08:08 AM

Download as a pdf and then use the search option. Works well but unfortunately most never type in the name of the place so spend hours looking instead of seconds.