Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   National Parks Poachers (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=401007)

fishpro 07-04-2021 09:32 PM

National Parks Poachers

Just came across this channel on YouTube, two guys who claim to do survival / bush craft videos, and this one video / series takes place on a lake in Banff National Park. The lake is not mentioned but I know which lake it is. Several infractions are committed, including the use of drones, keeping of fish where it's not allowed, use of bait, probably random camping. Feel free to share the videos far and wide in order to shame these people, and if you happen to know these guys don't hesitate to tell them what useless trash they are.

Also, Parks Canada is fully aware and are investigating.

Update: Both individuals, Greg Ovens and Zachary Fowler, were contestants on season 3 of Alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB8LlILAo40&t=5517s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RZ7...vCTPR&index=24

McLeod 07-05-2021 03:26 PM

They need to be locked up !

Albertadiver 07-05-2021 04:06 PM

I'd like to hear what PARKS says!

buckman 07-05-2021 04:40 PM

I find this hard to believe. Which lake is this supposed to be? Mountain lakes all look very similar on most video clips.

I think they were somewhere in the Columbia valley area between Invermere and Cranbrook.

Also they would have to be very dumb to put up a video of themselves on You Tube if it was in the park.

Sundancefisher 07-05-2021 05:47 PM

I can guarantee for survivalists they would of brought worms with them and not dug them up at a mountain lake.

Worms are introduced and found only around where people have lived for some time.

fishpro 07-05-2021 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 4391238)
I find this hard to believe. Which lake is this supposed to be? Mountain lakes all look very similar on most video clips.

I think they were somewhere in the Columbia valley area between Invermere and Cranbrook.

Also they would have to be very dumb to put up a video of themselves on You Tube if it was in the park.

I'll send you a pm with the name of the lake, but the footage compared with pics a friend has, not to mention the drone shots compared to Google Maps, makes it very clear.

hawk-i 07-05-2021 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcleod (Post 4391212)
they need to be locked up !

why??????

Sundancefisher 07-05-2021 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishpro (Post 4391294)
I'll send you a pm with the name of the lake, but the footage compared with pics a friend has, not to mention the drone shots compared to Google Maps, makes it very clear.

I scoped out the satellite photos with the shows footage including aerial and it is definitely the lake you say it is.

Ya. Definitely not allowed bait there. Also they exceeded their limit assuming they had licences. Set line is also illegal. Illegal to keep fishing after reaching one’s limit. They need a permit to fly drones in the park boundary. Fires are only allowed in designated fire pits when a ban is not in effect. Cutting down of trees is illegal. Building a structure is illegal.

These guys are idiots.

OL_JR 07-05-2021 10:09 PM

The whole thing seems just so very odd. These guys have a large viewership, sponsors and a plethora of places to go that aren't as restrictive as a park setting to sustain them for a month, especially in summer.

I'm a little skeptic to the level of ignorance that seems to be on full display here, my gut says there has to be some sort of catch or misinformation. Interested to see how this one plays out.

Sundancefisher 07-05-2021 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OL_JR (Post 4391342)
The whole thing seems just so very odd. These guys have a large viewership, sponsors and a plethora of places to go that aren't as restrictive as a park setting to sustain them for a month, especially in summer.

I'm a little skeptic to the level of ignorance that seems to be on full display here, my gut says there has to be some sort of catch or misinformation. Interested to see how this one plays out.

Question is can someone who should know better screw up?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/fishi...gling-1.165298

Do these guys even know there are rules and strive to follow them or just do what they want?

Time will tell.

Moosetalker 07-05-2021 10:16 PM

Good thing you got a sharp Eye Fishpro. glad these turkeys got caught and hopefully get whats coming to them.

The audacity of some trying for fame and fortune or just for plain greed at the expense of everyone who follows the law saddens me.

fishpro 07-05-2021 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 4391344)

Do these guys even know there are rules and strive to follow them or just do what they want?

Time will tell.

I've got a feeling these guys will be getting a lot more than an $800 fine...

fishpro 07-05-2021 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moosetalker (Post 4391347)
Good thing you got a sharp Eye Fishpro. glad these turkeys got caught and hopefully get whats coming to them.

The audacity of some trying for fame and fortune or just for plain greed at the expense of everyone who follows the law saddens me.

I wasn't the first to find it, a friend came across it yesterday. Supposedly it's been in the courts for 8 months.

OL_JR 07-05-2021 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 4391344)

Time will tell.

These guys might have absolutley known better and broke the law anyways. But with the hyper speed info travels along the internet it would take a different level of dumb. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt...

fishpro 07-05-2021 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OL_JR (Post 4391353)
These guys might have absolutley known better and broke the law anyways. But with the hyper speed info travels along the internet it would take a different level of dumb. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt...

Supposedly it's been in the courts for eight months, so I think there was definitely a good amount of illegal activity going on. There's enough imagery to confirm the location too, I think we're dealing with a pretty big case here.

OL_JR 07-05-2021 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishpro (Post 4391355)
Supposedly it's been in the courts for eight months, so I think there was definitely a good amount of illegal activity going on. There's enough imagery to confirm the location too, I think we're dealing with a pretty big case here.

If that is the case then wow is all I really have to say to that... different level of dumb.

.243dude 07-06-2021 06:54 AM

Wonder if it’s the same guy 🤔

http://www.eab.gov.bc.ca/wildlife/91_13.pdf

MyAlberta 07-06-2021 07:17 AM

I’m thinking that product suppliers who get behind theses kind of guys should be taken to task.

CardiacCowboy 07-06-2021 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 4391262)
I can guarantee for survivalists they would of brought worms with them and not dug them up at a mountain lake.

Worms are introduced and found only around where people have lived for some time.

Are you saying worms are a domestic animal? Worms of one kind of or other can be found everywhere including mountain lakes.

I believe this youtuber is bc based and most of his videos are filmed there.

mapleleafman3 07-06-2021 11:33 AM

What is the mystery lake that is not mentioned? My deduction from the videos are that they are shot in the East Kootenays. Ovens video (first link) says he is from Canal Flats. Fowlers video (second link) says "This time I went up to The BC Side of the Canadian Rockies with fellow History channel Alone show alumni Greg ovens". Maybe they went over a pass and into BNP but it seems a far stretch to go hours north of Canal Flats when there are lots of places to film in closer the East Koots. I could be wrong though.

koothunter 07-06-2021 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapleleafman3 (Post 4391425)
What is the mystery lake that is not mentioned? My deduction from the videos are that they are shot in the East Kootenays. Ovens video (first link) says he is from Canal Flats. Fowlers video (second link) says "This time I went up to The BC Side of the Canadian Rockies with fellow History channel Alone show alumni Greg ovens". Maybe they went over a pass and into BNP but it seems a far stretch to go hours north of Canal Flats when there are lots of places to film in closer the East Koots. I could be wrong though.

I know exactly where the mystery lake is. And it is accessible from Canal Flats.

Sundancefisher 07-06-2021 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardiacCowboy (Post 4391414)
Are you saying worms are a domestic animal? Worms of one kind of or other can be found everywhere including mountain lakes.

I believe this youtuber is bc based and most of his videos are filmed there.

Actually they are a non native invasive. There are no worms at the lake he fished. He would of brought a bait container.

Sundancefisher 07-06-2021 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koothunter (Post 4391451)
I know exactly where the mystery lake is. And it is accessible from Canal Flats.

Nope. You can use you map app to look at the lake you think it is and then compare to the aerial drone video.

The lake is in the national park along the BC Alberta border.

Rackmastr 07-07-2021 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 4391486)
Nope. You can use you map app to look at the lake you think it is and then compare to the aerial drone video.

Dont even need mapping or ariel drone video. The Google image that pops up when you google the lake is the exact mountain pictured in the second Youtube video quite prominently.

Hope these guys get thumped hard.

koothunter 07-07-2021 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 4391486)

Sorry for the confusion. I thought mapleleafman was referring to the other lake they hike into in one of the videos. The main lake discussed in this thread is definitely in the NP, it's pretty obvious.

Another illegal act was killing the gophers in BC. They are only open on private land with permission.

JReed 07-07-2021 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 4391340)
Also they exceeded their limit assuming they had licences.

I'm pretty sure this is the year that Banff implemented the zero fish retention regulation, with the exception of minewanka lakers, due to "whirling disease". So in this case, every fish they kept out of "Grizzly Lake", was poached

fishpro 07-07-2021 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JReed (Post 4391722)
I'm pretty sure this is the year that Banff implemented the zero fish retention regulation, with the exception of minewanka lakers, due to "whirling disease". So in this case, every fish they kept out of "Grizzly Lake", was poached

Cutthroats have also been all catch and release in Banff for years.

buckman 07-07-2021 05:07 PM

Where can I find info on the court case?

.243dude 07-07-2021 07:49 PM

Cases

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 4391808)
Where can I find info on the court case?

I tried searching the court cases and this is what i found. http://www.eab.gov.bc.ca/wildlife/91_13.pdf

Apparently this is not the first time “greg ovens” has broken the law

chickensashimi 07-09-2021 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OL_JR (Post 4391342)

You’re surprised, really?? Just look at the brain dead idiot running our country, suppress natural selection, then the idiot genes are passed down, and idiots like this are what we end up with.......