Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Pelicans! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=384497)

Mr Flyguy 07-10-2020 07:36 PM

Pelicans!

On my favourite trout lake this morning and swarmed by pelicans. Every time I had fish on 3 or 4 pelicans would rush over to check out the situation. Don't know what they would do with an 18 or 19 inch trout but they sure were interested in the action. Even after I left the "hot" area and returned an hour later they came over to watch, just in case.

trigger7mm 07-10-2020 11:17 PM

Pelicans

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy (Post 4200886)
On my favourite trout lake this morning and swarmed by pelicans. Every time I had fish on 3 or 4 pelicans would rush over to check out the situation. Don't know what they would do with an 18 or 19 inch trout but they sure were interested in the action. Even after I left the "hot" area and returned an hour later they came over to watch, just in case.

Check with Northwinds on this forum. He can tell you what a pelican will do. Is unreal how big a fish one of those things can choke down. A 20” trout is nothing for one of those buggers.

goldscud 07-10-2020 11:17 PM

They will gladly eat your 19"er.
I watched one eat a grebe that had a minnow in it's beak

catnthehat 07-10-2020 11:53 PM

There is a video out there of a pelican eating a danged rabbit i think!
I have seen them at our place on Baptiste and they can choke down a pretty big Jack!
Cat

Scottmisfits 07-11-2020 08:47 AM

I was out st the Bow river last night. I was greeted by about a dozen pelicans, some ducks nd geese, and three beavers. I didn't get the chance to say hello to any fish though. I guess they were practicing social distancing too.

cranky 07-11-2020 12:42 PM

Quote:

Better at your favourite lake than at my favourite lake. :)

buckman 07-11-2020 01:27 PM

Pelicans eat around four pounds of fish per day according to my research.
Along with the huge numbers of Cormorants and other flying fish eaters they must take a huge amount of the fish biomass.

The flying wolves of the water I guess.

Jokey75 07-13-2020 02:48 PM

On a pothole on Saturday and my boat mate's trout got dive bombed by an osprey only about 15ft from the boat. Came from behind us so we didn't see it and it startled the hell out of us. Didn't get the fish.

A little later same bird came down and smoked a loon that had stolen another anglers trout. He got that trout.

Pretty cool.

J

Bigrib 07-19-2020 01:55 AM

We had finished up surveying near Travers reservoir in the afternoon one autumn day walking back to the truck we noticed several large moving shadows on the ground near us , looking up was a group of pelicans gliding by. They look a lot like pterodactyls sp? , was a bit odd seeing them drift by silently , they are big .

The prairies were a lot different pre-farming , many more sloughs and potholes dotting the land. Farmers slowly nipped away at the edges until they gradually filled them in .

Jayhad 07-19-2020 11:56 AM

I've been trying, but can't find the info. I once read that Calgary has the most northern year round pelican population and it is directly related to the available food source the warm water effluent allows access too.

4lbs a day.... that's a hit on the biomass

Red Bullets 07-19-2020 02:14 PM

Quote:

=Jayhad;4205170

And a cormorant eats 1.5 lbs. of fish a day. just around Lac La Biche there were over 36000 cormorants a few years ago. That's a few tons of fish and frogs a day.

pipco 07-28-2020 07:23 AM

What's the best way to prepare a pelican?

Stuffed with cormorant and slow roasted?

Deep fried?

Maybe rotisserie on the BBQ?

I'd guess lots of seasoning and spice to cut the fishy flavor.

Cool birds. Go fly away now.

M*#$^%*!&ers.

Flock off.

Sundancefisher 08-10-2020 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 4200985)
There is a video out there of a pelican eating a danged rabbit i think!
I have seen them at our place on Baptiste and they can choke down a pretty big Jack!
Cat

And ducks and seagulls and ...pigeons

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6sTUSnUgDXI

Herons

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzCK7qrr4-w

pikeman06 08-10-2020 08:38 PM

used to watch groups of them herding up schools of perch in moose lake. They would always use the sun behind them to push them into 3 or 4 other birds waiting with their beaks open. They would gulp down a disoriented school of perch for minutes at a time they did it everyday the same bunch. Gotta wonder how many fish they killed over the course of a summer.

buckman 08-19-2020 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhad (Post 4205170)
I've been trying, but can't find the info. I once read that Calgary has the most northern year round pelican population and it is directly related to the available food source the warm water effluent allows access too.

They all fly south for the winter. I think the cormorants do as well.

Dark Wing 08-22-2020 09:54 AM

What I can’t figure out is why Alberta stocks the majority of it’s tiger trout in a lake that Is swarmed by pelicans and cormorants. From what I understand no one is really catching any there after they stocked 70000 in 2019.

pipco 08-26-2020 05:53 PM

The crane hunt is on ( why?) let's open season on Pelicans and cormorants. It will bring tens of dollars to our guides and outfitters and literally save thousands of stocked and native fish.

Problem solved.

:)

trigger7mm 08-26-2020 08:34 PM

Pelicans

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipco (Post 4225206)
The crane hunt is on ( why?) let's open season on Pelicans and cormorants. It will bring tens of dollars to our guides and outfitters and literally save thousands of stocked and native fish.

Problem solved.

:)

Excellent idea!! Let us shoot them with our coyote rifles too.

pipco 08-26-2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trigger7mm (Post 4225257)
Excellent idea!! Let us shoot them with our coyote rifles too.

Rubber bullets?
:47b20s0::47b20s0:

brass410 08-27-2020 08:04 AM

cormorant

Ontario has finally opened season on cormorants this year what they need to do is add and bonus tag for pelicans

Douglas N 08-27-2020 10:46 AM

Quote:

We released a healthy 99 cm pike and watched a pelican promptly scoop it up and fly away. It took about 200 yards for it to get airborne, but it did. A 19” trout is just a snack to a pelican.

tallieho 08-27-2020 11:38 AM

They don't just eat fish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlhmWfpZQWQ

pipco 08-27-2020 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallieho (Post 4225541)

Sweet baby jesus!

friggin' feathered prehistoric Pteradactyl!

Mr Flyguy 08-27-2020 04:03 PM

Yikes is right! The good news is they seem to disappear now so should not be a problem in the fall fishing.

midgetwaiter 08-31-2020 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas N (Post 4225501)
We released a healthy 99 cm pike and watched a pelican promptly scoop it up and fly away. It took about 200 yards for it to get airborne, but it did. A 19” trout is just a snack to a pelican.

I saw one grab a decent skipjack off a dock in Cabo, been wary of them ever since.