Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I never heard of Gord Downie until... (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=331741)

Jack Hardin 10-19-2017 10:39 AM

I never heard of Gord Downie until...

I heard on the news when he was diagnosed with brain cancer and, I thought, "Must be some unknown rock singer from down east". Then, when he died, the event seemed to be bigger than when Elvis or the last Pope died. We have the PM almost in tears when talking about it, it's on the news continually, and they are saying all of Canada is in mourning and that he should have a state funeral.

Now I have lived in Canada for 75 years, been to every province and resided in Nova Scotia, Quebec, Ontario, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia and if you said who is Gord Downie? My answer would have to be, "Never heard of him".

Not to be disrespectful but, maybe it's just not my generation.

dmac111 10-19-2017 10:41 AM

Radio

Have you ever owned an FM radio? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

HighlandHeart 10-19-2017 10:43 AM

You have never heard of Gord Downie for the same reason lots of younger Canadians have never heard of Paul Anka. Different generations. Never to late to discover new music, Downie's or Anka's.

honda450 10-19-2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Hardin (Post 3647244)
and if you said who is Gord Downie? My answer would have to be, "Never heard of him".

Not to be disrespectful but.

X2

dmac111 10-19-2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

I heard on the news when he was diagnosed with brain cancer and, I thought, "Must be some unknown rock singer from down east". Then, when he died, the event seemed to be bigger than when Elvis or the last Pope died. We have the PM almost in tears when talking about it, it's on the news continually, and they are saying all of Canada is in mourning and that he should have a state funeral.

Now I have lived in Canada for 75 years, been to every province and resided in Nova Scotia, Quebec, Ontario, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia and if you said who is Gord Downie? My answer would have to be, "Never heard of him".

I have to ask.

Do you know Geddy Lee?

rwalker 10-19-2017 10:48 AM

not surprising

People would be more likely to have heard of tragically hip than Gord Downie...especially if it not the music one would typically listen to.

Scott N 10-19-2017 10:51 AM

Quote:

That's unfortunate for you because Downie has written a lot of great music about Canadiana.

honda450 10-19-2017 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmac111 (Post 3647253)
I have to ask.

Do you know Geddy Lee?

Nope :sign0176:

The Spank 10-19-2017 10:53 AM

I’m the same way except it was some country singer posted about recently, can’t recall his name? As for Turdo sprouting tears? Well that jack_ _ _ was a drama teacher and if there is anything he knows it’s how to show off in front of a camera. As for Gord Downie, may he rest in peace. I liked the music from the band but their political leanings not so much.

JB_AOL 10-19-2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalker (Post 3647254)
People would be more likely to have heard of tragically hip than Gord Downie...especially if it not the music one would typically listen to.

^^this.. and more than likely you have heard the Hip's music w/o realizing it

MK2750 10-19-2017 11:05 AM

I would be more upset with the passing of Gord Lightfoot and I am the same age as Downie.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed much of his music but these references to a Canadian Shakespeare and the PM crying on live TV is a little out there.

Rush has sold an estimated 40 million albums for example and I doubt the country identify them as iconic.

Headdamage 10-19-2017 11:09 AM

Had to give up watching the news last night, apparently nothing else of note happened other than the passing of this singer. Nothing against him but good grief anyone the cared know it was coming and there are bigger tragedies than this happening in the world.

NCC 10-19-2017 11:11 AM

I was with a group of 5 people from our Calgary office the other day and mention Ian Tyson; not one of them knew who he was. Ages ranges from 25-45.

Jack Hardin 10-19-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

I have to ask.

Do you know Geddy Lee?

I have to admit but, no never heard of Geddy Lee... Any relation to Bruce Lee?:)

Jack Hardin 10-19-2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalker (Post 3647254)

I have heard of the Tragically Hip but, never listened to their music that I am aware of.

Jack Hardin 10-19-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC (Post 3647277)
I was with a group of 5 people from our Calgary office the other day and mention Ian Tyson; not one of them knew who he was. Ages ranges from 25-45.

Now, there is a Canadian icon.

dmac111 10-19-2017 11:42 AM

?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Hardin (Post 3647283)
I have to admit but, no never heard of Geddy Lee... Any relation to Bruce Lee?:)

Maybe :lol::lol:

Badgerbadger 10-19-2017 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK2750 (Post 3647272)
I would be more upset with the passing of Gord Lightfoot and I am the same age as Downie.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed much of his music but these references to a Canadian Shakespeare and the PM crying on live TV is a little out there.

Rush has sold an estimated 40 million albums for example and I doubt the country identify them as iconic.

Leonard Cohen was better.

agentsmith 10-19-2017 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighlandHeart (Post 3647251)
You have never heard of Gord Downie for the same reason lots of younger Canadians have never heard of Paul Anka. Different generations. Never to late to discover new music, Downie's or Anka's.

^ This.
Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC (Post 3647277)

I'm only vaguely aware of the name, and I'm 41. I just looked him up, the guy's 84 years old and had two folk hits in the early 1960's. So yeah, what HighlandHeart said.

The Tragically Hip were practically gods on the Canuck music scene in the 90's. They never really broke into the US market (perhaps somewhat intentionally and somewhat due to Canadiana references in their lyrics), and Canadians loved them for it.

If you like folk/country stuff, try "Wheat Kings" (references David Milgaard):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB965aUPsmM

Sundown in the Paris of the prairies
Wheat kings have all their treasures buried
And all you hear are the rusty breezes
Pushing around the weather vane Jesus

In his Zippo lighter he sees the killer's face
Maybe it's someone standing in a killer's place
Twenty years for nothing, well that's nothing new
Besides, no one's interested in something you didn't do
Wheat kings and pretty things
Let's just see what the morning brings

There's a dream he dreams where the high school is dead and stark
It's a museum and we're all locked up in it after dark
Where the walls are lined all yellow, grey and sinister
Hung with pictures of our parents' Prime Ministers
Wait and see what tomorrow brings

Late-breaking story on the CBC
A nation whispers, "We always knew that he'd go free."
They add, "You can't be fond of living in the past,
Cause if you are then there's no way that you're gonna last."
Let's just see what tomorrow brings
That's what tomorrow brings

bobtodrick 10-19-2017 12:07 PM

Ignorance is bliss, or so they say.
Too many people have their own little sphere of interests and make no attempt to broaden their horizons.
It's like all the people who (rightly) complain about ISIS...yet couldn't point out on a map where Mosul or Kirkuk or Raqqa is (all ISIS strongholds).

Nester 10-19-2017 12:11 PM

Maybe if it was Anne Murray.....

Generation gap. It's all good :)

Twisted Canuck 10-19-2017 12:38 PM

I know who Gord Downie and the Hip are, listened to but never really got in to their music. Much prefer Geddy Lee's contribution to music. Anyway, as mentioned the entire country knew he was dying. Not sure a state funeral for a musician is really called for. But he will probably get one, because our PM was moved to tears.

As mentioned, I wasn't much of a fan of the Hip's politics either.

1899b 10-19-2017 12:38 PM

Quote:

I have to ask.

Do you know Geddy Lee?

When i yank on my cats tail real hard, he sounds exactly like Geddy Lee... I wouldnt cross the street to watch Rush. lol

dmac111 10-19-2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1899b (Post 3647330)
When i yank on my cats tail real hard, he sounds exactly like Geddy Lee... I wouldnt cross the street to watch Rush. lol

LOL and I would never own a cat... to each his own:lol:

Twisted Canuck 10-19-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1899b (Post 3647330)

That's ok, I wouldn't want to sit down and listen to all 27 hours of your Celine Dion collection either....:)

1899b 10-19-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 3647336)
That's ok, I wouldn't want to sit down and listen to all 27 hours of your Celine Dion collection either....:)

Shania. No Celine. There is no denying that Neil Peart, Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee are all amazing technically sound players but as a group they always underwhelmed me. To each their own...:)

Badgerbadger 10-19-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1899b (Post 3647342)
Shania. No Celine. There is no denying that Neil Peart, Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee are all amazing technically sound players but as a group they always underwhelmed me. To each their own...:)

Take off!

(In my opinion, that's where he peaked)

ren008 10-19-2017 01:39 PM

Can we all agree to have heard of Rita MacNeil?

colour86 10-19-2017 01:47 PM

never was a fan of them or him, and its almost annoying he is considered Canada's treasure or something similar like that by so many people. i couldn't even listen to the radio yesterday as every station was playing something by them and his voice just puts me off. avoided facebook as well as every 2nd post by someone was something about him. dont hate them, just didn't care.

bobtodrick 10-19-2017 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colour86 (Post 3647385)
never was a fan of them or him, and its almost annoying he is considered Canada's treasure or something similar like that by so many people. i couldn't even listen to the radio yesterday as every station was playing something by them and his voice just puts me off. avoided facebook as well as every 2nd post by someone was something about him. dont hate them, just didn't care.

Don't really get posts like this.
I'm sure there are lots of things you like that I don't, but I don't feel it my duty to proclaim it.