Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Only Alberta?? Weird things found ANYWHERE! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=178221)

6.5swedeforelk 05-11-2013 03:28 PM

Only Alberta?? Weird things found ANYWHERE!

1 Attachment(s)
A bush camp, logging-hunting, who knows but nothing left standing.I pulled on a protruding swedesaw frame & snagged a bit of a wool blanket. Along with the blanket came this Pepsi bottle and it seems to have a label still on it. Can't even scrape it off. Where's that Pepsi bottle dater guy, and don't send me on a www.crap quest 'cause I'm dated also! note:lots of other stuff found under that old blanket.

Ryry4 05-11-2013 03:34 PM

Very cool.

6.5swedeforelk 05-11-2013 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That old blanket seemed knitted of raw sheepwool or something. Would that assist in preserving items?

These appear to be ancient sunglasses?
What about this soldered tin they were in?
Hasn't deterioated in all these years.

6.5swedeforelk 05-11-2013 04:05 PM

moosehide grain-breaker/pemmican pounder

1 Attachment(s)
Not a rare find in the Parkland fringe area.

What tickled me is that I found it nestled undisturbed in a semi-open primitive camp area. Last weeks campers' realistic tipi rings & firepits surrounded my find. This had been a Cree Native "culture camp" for youth to re-discover their roots!

Lornce 05-11-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk (Post 1963740)
A bush camp, logging-hunting, who knows but nothing left standing.I pulled on a protruding swedesaw frame & snagged a bit of a wool blanket. Along with the blanket came this Pepsi bottle and it seems to have a label still on it. Can't even scrape it off. Where's that Pepsi bottle dater guy, and don't send me on a www.crap quest 'cause I'm dated also! note:lots of other stuff found under that old blanket.

Based on the logo type and label I would hazard a guess of 1935 to 1940. Cool find. Good place to be running a metal detector.

caver77 05-11-2013 04:16 PM

Id be back there so quick with a shovel and metal detector it wouldn't be funny :)

6.5swedeforelk 05-11-2013 04:22 PM

Thanks, Lornce.
That would have made it only 13 years old when I found it. And yes, I guess the lable does peel off if an idiot worked on it enough, oops.

Lornce 05-11-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk (Post 1963773)
thanks, lornce.
That would have made it only 13 years old when i found it. And yes, i guess the lable does peel off if an idiot worked on it enough, oops.

don't touch the paper, back away slowly from the lable!!

6.5swedeforelk 05-11-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caver77 (Post 1963768)
Id be back there so quick with a shovel and metal detector it wouldn't be funny :)

And unlike every tale of finding treasure, I know Exactly where this is.
Trapping 3 years ago, I was reflecting on who stayed there & what became of him. From the west very very close came the most mournful wolf howl. That snapped me back to reality & being a wolf hunter, mouthed my ever present CowTalk elk call. Two high-pitched calf calls and there across the little creek at a distance of 25 paces stepped a beautiful silver-grey wolf. I just stood there mesmerized. As when close-stalking elk, I remember scanning his eyes for the sudden fear that signals flight. There was none and I think that he was doing the same to me. Then he was gone, leaving me with my rifle still tucked under my arm. So, yes I sure remember the place!

6.5swedeforelk 05-11-2013 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Found in leather? bag in spruce outside Alta, app. late 50's

walking buffalo 05-11-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk (Post 1963972)
Found in leather? bag in spruce outside Alta, app. late 50's

Do you have a picture of the leather?

Is that sweetgrass or sinew wrapped in the grooves?

Do you see the owner in the fur?

6.5swedeforelk 05-11-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walking buffalo (Post 1963980)
Do you have a picture of the leather?

Is that sweetgrass or sinew wrapped in the grooves?

Do you see the owner in the fur?

All I have now is an old pic that was taken way back.
The "bag" may even have been folded hide, there was basically nothing left.

6.5swedeforelk 05-11-2013 08:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Northeast Canada has some mighty big areas of bush and rock. On a 4 day jaunt that included a waterproof, lifted 67 Bronco, 2 winches, ropes and a chainsaw put us well back from civilization. Came to what appeared to be a huge demolished camp or town. These bags that we found under other junk, leads me to believe that we were guests of a POW camp! Eagle emblems, pins with small German writing & more eagles! I'd never try that trip again.

troutbug 09-10-2016 11:00 AM

bump, kind of a neat thread.

I have not found anything to crazy. A machete, some old tins etc

waterninja 09-10-2016 02:24 PM

Great find OP. I have always liked snooping around old homesteads and campsites.

bb356 09-11-2016 07:26 PM

Cool !!!

cschache 09-11-2016 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk (Post 1964019)
Northeast Canada has some mighty big areas of bush and rock. On a 4 day jaunt that included a waterproof, lifted 67 Bronco, 2 winches, ropes and a chainsaw put us well back from civilization. Came to what appeared to be a huge demolished camp or town. These bags that we found under other junk, leads me to believe that we were guests of a POW camp! Eagle emblems, pins with small German writing & more eagles! I'd never try that trip again.

that is pretty cool!, pretty weird that there would be Nazi grain bag here in Canada, unless it was used to bring some of a German soldiers personal item as a prisoner over. Have you done any research as to why that particular item would have made its way to Canada? Would love to hear the details. Very interesting and awesome find!

Jack Hardin 09-12-2016 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cschache (Post 3327082)
that is pretty cool!, pretty weird that there would be Nazi grain bag here in Canada, unless it was used to bring some of a German soldiers personal item as a prisoner over. Have you done any research as to why that particular item would have made its way to Canada? Would love to hear the details. Very interesting and awesome find!

It could have been brought in as war souvenirs by Canadian troops returning home after the war. I know some stuff didn't make it to Canada. My dad said that he tried to smuggle a parachute (for the silk) home in his Air Force kit bag but, when they landed at Gander, they were told to disembark the plane and when they were allowed back on the parachute was confiscated. He said that the guy next to him had a kit bag full of cigarettes but they were confiscated also.

I'm sure some souvenirs made it to Canada.