Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Whats in a name? Pickerel vs Pickel vs Walleye vs Pike?!? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=63546)

Sundancefisher 07-12-2010 01:00 PM

slang terms or regional terms can be confusing!

How many names are there for pike in Alberta alone? I can think of 9!

Pike
Northern Pike
Northerns
Hammer handles
Slough sharks
Jacks
Jackfish
Alberta Aligators

any ones I missed?

SushiUnagi 07-12-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ice (Post 627374)
That's just like someone calling me nick
An me being like
MY NAME ISNT NICK
It's Nicholas

haha ok thanks James :bad_boys_20:

SushiUnagi 07-12-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren N (Post 628236)
Here is another one - Do you pronounce it RA-PALA or RAP-ALA? I grew up saying RA-PALA only to hear it different on the fishing shows.

I call it RA-PALA too... but then I guess its a po-tay-toe vs po-tar-toe thing...
Unless the founder of Rapala corrects you otherwise, its fair to say its pronounced either way.

I remember a girl I used to work with gets soooo annoyed when people pronounce her name incorrectly, and it happens very often too.
Unfortunately everyone then did it on purpose just to get her on her nerves...but she was right to have corrected us as her name is hers and she is the only one that decides how it is to be pronounced.

I'm happy to have got so much insights from all of you to the names of these fish we're catching at our lakes.

Darren N 07-12-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 628261)

Pike
Northern Pike
Northerns
Hammer handles
Slough sharks
Jacks
Jackfish
Alberta Aligators

any ones I missed?

I've heard them get called "snot rockets" on a Sask fishing show.

AxeMan 07-12-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 628261)

Pike
Northern Pike
Northerns
Hammer handles
Slough sharks
Jacks
Jackfish
Alberta Aligators

any ones I missed?

You missed a few:

Snot Rockets
Esox lucius
Water wolves
Snakes

TexasTornado 07-12-2010 03:17 PM

I am going to start calling Rainbow Trout "Colorful Trout"

Darren N 07-12-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasTornado (Post 628361)
I am going to start calling Rainbow Trout "Colorful Trout"

Then 20 years from now someone will start on a 3 page thread saying "rainbows? colorful trout which is right?" I have to admit this thread has some good entertainment value.

luckyme 07-12-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter49 (Post 626532)

Not sure where youve heard pickel, but a pickle is shown in the picture below.
http://thesportboys.files.wordpress..../03/pickle.jpg

:sHa_sarcasticlol:

that is sure one nice looking pickel.:scared0018:

fishnut9 07-13-2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren N (Post 628402)
Then 20 years from now someone will start on a 3 page thread saying "rainbows? colorful trout which is right?" I have to admit this thread has some good entertainment value.

then its gonna be called pot of gold trout, then leprecaun trout

HunterDave 07-13-2010 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks (Post 626651)
I grew up in Northern Ontario and the only people who called a walleye a walleye were American.(we always said pickerel).I do find it funny though that at Safeway and Costco in Calgary they refer to Walleye fillets as Pickerel fillets.

x2 on calling them pickerel in Ontario. In Quebec they call them Dore (Pronounced "Doory"). I've never heard a pike called anything different until I came to Alberta. Speared a pickle out of the jar with a fork this weekend.

TexasTornado 07-13-2010 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishnut9 (Post 628918)
then its gonna be called pot of gold trout, then leprecaun trout

Cutthroat Trout will be called Chuck Norris Trout

SkytopBrewster 07-13-2010 08:18 AM

pickeril

I grew up in MB, usually when you are talking to a Manitoban they refer to Walleye as a Pickeril, I was the same till I moved to AB. I know it is completely wrong but that is just the way it is for some reason.

Tredeb 07-13-2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren N (Post 628236)
I thought that was a picture of a zucchini! now i'm really confused. Here is another one - Do you pronounce it RA-PALA or RAP-ALA? I grew up saying RA-PALA only to hear it different on the fishing shows.

A lot of those guys on fishing shows put "awl" in their engine and "Greeez" in their Grease guns so I wouldn't put too much stock in the way they say things.:)

lavigne25 07-13-2010 04:18 PM

its the guys from ontario who call walleyes pickerels ,i use to work with a guy from windsor ont he argued with me all the time . i showed him a picture of a pickerel and he called it a northern pike or a walleye ,he said they have 2 names for them . he tried to tell me walleye was just an american term for a pickerel lol.there are no pickerel in ontario they have northern pike and walley but for some retarded reason they like to call walleye pickerel lol.there are only pickerel in the maritimes

whitewolf 07-13-2010 07:35 PM

Known in Europe as «Sandre», or walleye, pickerel is a freshwater, white fish found in abundance in lakes and rivers all over Quebec as well as in Scandinavia, England and continental Europe.......this quote is right of a website......

whitewolf 07-13-2010 07:48 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esox look at that page and tell me...do they mean it is refering to a group of different fish and they come under the name pickerels...