Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wood Crates? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=168635)

Boundless_84 02-20-2013 12:07 PM

Wood Crates?

Anyone know where I can get some used wooden crates (or similar items) in the Calgary/Okotoks/Turner Valley area? I'm looking for something free (of course!) that I can pull apart and reclaim the wood. I have no problem finding spruce/pine shipping pallets for free, but I'd love to find something with different dimensions, character, and type of wood, preferably made of hardwood. Any suggestions?

Redfrog 02-20-2013 12:09 PM

Try Glass retailers.They have some longer lumber from crates and are glad to get rid of it.

omega50 02-20-2013 12:10 PM

I would check with Rona Black Diamond

hairycanary 02-20-2013 12:12 PM

Have seen some on kijiji calgary in the free category

wack99 02-20-2013 08:20 PM

Back of canadian tire normally have old pallets for free

Jason

CaberTosser 02-21-2013 12:10 AM

Check places that supply or transport very heavy goods, they'll have all manner of leftover dunnage. I found a source for good hardwood dunnage thats great trimmed to fit in my fireplace, but unfortunately I'm keeping that spot more secret than a prime gold-panning or fishing location. Some stuff shipped out of certain areas of the US might have hardwood pallet not because the products weight demands extr strength, but because thats what their local forests consist of and the low grade wood is priced right. I used to get a hardwood pallet with commercial water heaters, but in recent years they've switched to multilayer cardboard/hardboard packaging with little real wood.

HunterDave 02-21-2013 12:50 AM

It'll all be softwood but skidoos often come crated. The only hardwood (oak) that I've seen are in pallets. What do you plan to do with the wood? It could make a difference to decide on options.

bisonhunter 02-21-2013 06:46 AM

Check out suppliers of slate/tile. Slate comes from all over the world and I have seen some pretty sweet hardwoods used to crate them. The nicest I've seen came from India, but somebody else got to them before I did.

Lots of oak pallets from the southern states too.

2c

sewerrat 02-21-2013 07:48 AM

If you want to drive to Innisfail, we have a whole bunch here, they are about 4' by 8' we did take them appart somewhat, the sheating is osb paritcle board, there is at least a trailer load.

colin455 02-21-2013 07:53 AM

The mill I used to work for had huge plywood crates shipped from Germany for parts. Nicest plywood I have ever seen.
1" - 9 layers (ours was 5-7 depending on manufacture), no imperfections, nice coloration and face matching veneers. One fellow begged for the crates and made kitchen cabinet doors out of them. Nicer than you can get locally - and that was crate material for them! Beautiful reddish brown, much like teak.
I'd like to see what their good stuff is!.

If you can use 48" stuff, try trucking yards and large warehouse operations - preferably that sell heavy stuff. They get the hardwood pallets as they don't break. Produce and groceries get the light ones you step through the slats as they are so flimsy. Remember to ask permission. Be polite and be neat. Leave a mess and never get to come back. If you get permission, a box of donuts to the shipper may get a return trip. :D
If you need longer try, windshield shops. Theirs are usually 6' or so, but are pine.

Boundless_84 02-24-2013 10:52 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the tips. On occasion I've seen businesses post ads for larger pallets on Kijiji, but time often doesn't allow me to get there on time. I'll consider trying some slate/tile and glass companies and see if they have anything to give away.