Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Crown land near Grande Prairie (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=54860)

CabinFever 03-15-2010 10:57 PM

Crown land near Grande Prairie

Hi there, this is my first post after lurking around for a while. Great site with lots of good info. I've moved to Grande Prairie this winter and am looking forward to getting out within the next month to look for a yogi. I've been scouting around a little on the weekend looking for some crown land to get started in but everything looks private. Without giving away any honey holes of course can anyone give me a few hints where I could find some crown land to look for a bear next month.

TUFFBUFF 03-15-2010 11:14 PM

North of gp past Sexsmith, there's a wide strip of crown west to the B.C. border ( Saddle Hills ). or south of town across the Wapiti there's 1000's of square miles of crown ( area 356). Those would be the best bets for bears around here. Glass cutlines and blocks when the buds start coming out on the trees, bears will be out feeding. Not much crown in the county of GP (357) besides a chunk in the SW corner.

Good Luck! and get a big one

T3Hunter 03-15-2010 11:44 PM

I've seen plenty of bears down southeast of Grande Prairie between the Smoky River and the Forestry Trunk Road. Head south on Highway forty, then east along the Canfor main haul road until you're across the smoky river. After that, explore and have fun.

Frans 03-16-2010 07:54 AM

I've hunted moose in WMU 356. Head south from GP and then west. Lots of crownland there.

F.

-CLM- 03-16-2010 08:08 AM

Some good tips here. Both the saddle hills and WMU 356 south of the Wapiti on Hwy# 40 are good spots. There are however a couple of outfitters in the Saddle Hills that have baits about every mile from Teepee Creek west to the B.C. border. I am not saying you wouldnt have success in the Saddle Hills but you may encounter more hunters. Good luck out there!

whiskybaron 03-16-2010 03:15 PM

There is a good portion of crown land in the SW corner of Grande Prairie county along the north shore of the wapitit river that doesnt seem to get a lot of pressure in the spring, and has a good chance of seeing a bear alsong the river breaks. As stated above if you go south of Grande prairire after the grovedale area it is all crown land with a huge maze of roads, cutlines, and gas lines and there are lots of bears in those areas. Reemeber that you can not bait if you go to the south crown land and there are a fair number of grizz there too so remember to id first. The werhauser (spelled wrong) north haul road up along the banks of the cutbank river is aslo a goosd place to look, basically anywere south you have a chance to see bears but also keep in mind that travel will be tough off the main roads and cutlines this time of year.

albertadeer 03-16-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiskybaron (Post 536828)
There is a good portion of crown land in the SW corner of Grande Prairie county along the north shore of the wapitit river that doesnt seem to get a lot of pressure in the spring, and has a good chance of seeing a bear alsong the river breaks. As stated above if you go south of Grande prairire after the grovedale area it is all crown land with a huge maze of roads, cutlines, and gas lines and there are lots of bears in those areas. Reemeber that you can not bait if you go to the south crown land and there are a fair number of grizz there too so remember to id first. The werhauser (spelled wrong) north haul road up along the banks of the cutbank river is aslo a goosd place to look, basically anywere south you have a chance to see bears but also keep in mind that travel will be tough off the main roads and cutlines this time of year.

On the button...sooo many bears south...dont forget Two lakes!

Roughneck71 03-16-2010 07:05 PM

south

south of gp weheyrhauser rd. drive for days walk forever tons of bears, two lakes rd. canfor rd. thousands of acres of crown, cut lines, leases rds. good luck. pm if more info needed..
Darrell:wave:

Arn?Narn. 03-16-2010 09:46 PM

If you're new to the area, one thing to keep in mind... not sure where you are from, maybe it's the same there...

watch the roads..

I have been in some very great places when spring showers have come...I have had great trouble getting out of some of them...

The other day i was in at Nose Mountain...

It was good on the frozen road, ..but I had to leave before lunchtime cause the road was getting soft...

This time of year,..the roads can be ****, but at least you can most likely, worst case, drive out at night.

If ya want to get out for a scout and see a few good places, drop me a line,..I'll be heading out on Saturday to check out a few spots..