Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Gopher grounds (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=312961)

Kiwi_hunter 01-20-2017 05:30 PM

Gopher grounds

Hi guys and girls, im looking for some good gopher spots for the coming summer. I will be based close to Russell MB from early may, willing to travel several hours if the numbers are good. Shooting with a 17hmr but will go bigger if the land permits. Yes i do hold a PAL. Would be more than happy to tag along with others if theres spots available. Thanks people.

Big Red 250 01-20-2017 05:49 PM

Might get more responses if you also post on the Manitoba and Saskatchewan hunting forums.

Kiwi_hunter 01-20-2017 06:20 PM

Thanks have done mate, just casting a wide net. I dont mind travelling, nothing like doing the tourist thing and getting some shooting in at the same time!

Big Red 250 01-20-2017 08:28 PM

Seeing as how your gonna be in Russell maybe check out the Binscarth Community pasture, it's not far south of Russell.

Xbolt7mm 01-20-2017 08:30 PM

A good gopher patch is getting harder and harder to find, they used to be common back in the day, good luck to ya

Kiwi_hunter 01-20-2017 08:43 PM

Thanks big_red_250 il do that, i have a couple of small patches the locals let me shoot last year but they dont take long to clean up. Theres some fine looking outfitters offering hunts out Alberta way, would be good to find some free land and help out the local farmers tho.

elkhunter11 01-21-2017 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm (Post 3448764)
A good gopher patch is getting harder and harder to find, they used to be common back in the day, good luck to ya

Very true, but if a person does some driving, and talking to landowners in the area, it is still not all that difficult to find places to shoot. However, it seems that more landowners are becoming reluctant to allow people to shoot on their land unless they know you, or someone that you know.

Joe Black 01-21-2017 03:44 PM

WHAT are u people doing? Did you not read the posts on NEVER giving out hunting spots on social media????????????? Keep this up and all the gophers will be dead,,,,,,

Oh yah, that's a good thing. Never mind.

covey ridge 01-21-2017 08:42 PM

I have seen some advertisements in local paper by those offering their services. I spoke to one who answered an add and was happy to report that a very nice young fellow came out and put a dent in his population. In general there are lots of gophers to be had but you need to know someone.

bezzola 01-22-2017 06:40 PM

I had to drive around talk to people and get growled at by farm dogs.
Should try it

Big Red 250 01-22-2017 07:02 PM

Lots of cattle pastures not far north in the Roblin area, maybe get off the highways and do some country cruises close to spring, lots of ranches up there. I havn't shot gopher's for many years, but when I did, all my shootin was on pasture land.