Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Archery while snowing (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=389037)

walk in the woods 10-15-2020 08:40 PM

Archery while snowing

I was out the other day in a fairly heavy snowfall. Also I am new to archery.

Do you worry about this snowfall affecting accuracy? I had an arrow on the string but was worried about snowfall and moisture building up on the arrow shaft and fletching and throwing off the shot. Never actually shot at anything but made me think.

What have others found? Thanks.

3blade 10-15-2020 09:17 PM

It’ll cause hell with drop away rests. Biscuits are better because you can just brush them off, dont let the bristles freeze together.

Bigger problem is washing away/covering up a blood trail. Had this happen once years ago.

Another issues is if it’s snowing, melting on contact, then freezing. Really hard to stay warm or build a fire, water/ice gets into everything, optics get coated and are useless.

Pretty good time to stay in a blind or under a thick spruce. Saw the biggest whitetail I’ve ever seen in the middle of a blizzard...then a car drove into the field and chased him off.

Lefty-Canuck 10-15-2020 10:05 PM

Never had an issue with a drop away rest in the snow or cold.

LC

jcrayford 10-16-2020 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 4249033)

LC

Yep, never had an issue with any drop away rest from snow or cold, only my own silly mistakes. I'll take a drop away ANY day over an ugly cookie, but that's my preference.....

For what it's worth, I don't think that having 1/4" of snow on your arrow while waiting for an animal means much either. Simple to wipe off now and again and even if you forgot completely about it, it would fly off upon release and wouldn't affect arrow flight.

J.

3blade 10-16-2020 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 4249033)

LC

You never had an issue with mechanical broadheads either...until you did :)

To the op: Anything with small moving parts can and will freeze up, break, wear out, move when it shouldn’t, or lock up when it should move. Sights, rests, arrowheads, quivers, etc...hunt long enough and you start eliminating problems before they cost you shot opportunities. Some guys obsess over tournament accuracy/score at 80-120 yards instead of having a system that remains reliable in hunting conditions/ranges.

Lefty-Canuck 10-16-2020 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3blade (Post 4249148)
You never had an issue with mechanical broadheads either...until you did :)

To the op: Anything with small moving parts can and will freeze up, break, wear out, move when it shouldn’t, or lock up when it should move. Sights, rests, arrowheads, quivers, etc...hunt long enough and you start eliminating problems before they cost you shot opportunities. Some guys obsess over tournament accuracy/score at 80-120 yards instead of having a system that remains reliable in hunting conditions/ranges.

I never really had an issue with them either... hitting a wheat top and a slight predeployment meh, it happens. Those who claim grim reapers don’t open... well lol. Hitting a shoulder blade of an elk doesn’t really matter fixed or mechanical. WB can have issues in snow and rain too, don’t kid yourself :)

LC

Jamie Black R/T 10-16-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 4249172)
WB can have issues in snow and rain too, don’t kid yourself :)

LC

A WB biscuit has issues indoors lol

walk in the woods 10-16-2020 01:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback so far. I probably should have mentioned it in the first post but I am using mechanical broadheads, rage hypodermic and a drop away rest.
And I do value the different opinions!

antler1 10-16-2020 03:54 PM

Moisture and QUAD fall aways

I have learned over the years to be aware that the stick on felt that covers the prongs on the QUAD rests is prone to sqeeking when a wet arrow is drawn over it. I carry a small tube of powdered graphite in my pack and a few squirts of that on the point where the arrow contacts the felt will quiet the squeek. If you don't practice draw as soon as you get set up you will likely get busted by a whitetail when you go to draw on them.