Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Do bears come out in the rain???? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=60587)

dmckay 05-27-2010 02:52 PM

Do bears come out in the rain????

It might be a stupid question, but I haven't had a chance to get out this year and I've been holding out for decent weather. I was thinking of heading out this weekend for a spot and stalk, but if nothing is going to be out, not much point. June 15th isn't that far away, so I'd like to get out at least a couple of times.

James M 05-27-2010 02:54 PM

Yes they sure do. I had some trail cam pictures of 4 bears feeding at my bait with a tsunami going at the same time. I'll try to find it and post it.

ACKLEY ABE 05-27-2010 03:16 PM

Yip they do.

Years ago I was out with a friend. I said "Don, have you ever shot a bear in the rain?"

He replied "nope, ask me why I've never shot a bear in the rain"

Don, how come you've never shot a bear in the rain?

BECAUSE I DON'T HUNT BEARS IN THE RAIN!

Of course this conversation took place while it was pouring. Ten minutes later....you guessed it...we shot a "bear in the rain". This conversation comes up every time were out and it's raining.....including last week during the blizzard we were camped in. ...and yes I've shot a bear in a snowstorm as well.

Our criteria changed considerably, I'll shoot it if it's an eight footer and pink. Needless to say we didn't shoot a bear.

dmckay 05-27-2010 03:25 PM

I'm not too picky....as it would be my first. So, it doesn't have to be pink...lol

ACKLEY ABE 05-27-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmckay (Post 596139)
I'm not too picky....as it would be my first. So, it doesn't have to be pink...lol

Have at er. Look at it this way, there won't be a lot of other hunters out:)

You'll see bears, it's just not as pleasent to hunt in the rain.

kayaker 05-27-2010 06:24 PM

...I find my 2x4 truck doesn't like clay mud roads in the rain. I like to walk when hunting but still need to get into the areas!

huntin 05-27-2010 08:39 PM

Bears come out when their hungry if it raining they still eat

antlerguy 05-27-2010 08:59 PM

I have taken them with over a foot of snow within a hour coming down.

Sakoman 05-27-2010 09:43 PM

Got my first bear in the rain. Although I did miss that the bear was rubbed in a couple spots.

deanmc 05-27-2010 10:03 PM

Sure as long as it is not washing the ashes away too quickly.lol

Just a test.Its a 100 year old joke.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

abhunt 05-27-2010 11:20 PM

most of the bears I have taken were shot in the rain!!

yamaha 1 05-28-2010 10:20 AM

I'am not to sure about the snow thing we were out May long for 5 days it snowed every day all day ,we put on over 400 k with the quads and we never saw one bear.We did see three sets of Grizzly tracks in the snow,but the black bear were:scared0018:

Rantastic 05-28-2010 11:20 PM

I just shot my first bear in the rain 2 weeks ago. It was miserable and sucked and the bear was all wet and had the wet dog smell but it was a good time anyway.

dmckay 05-30-2010 01:04 PM

Well, apparently the bears had other plans. We put on lots of miles, by truck and foot. Headed up the trunk road north from Coal camp road yesterday. We looked high and low and nothing. It was nice just to get out and we did see a buttload of deer, some elk, some great fishing and camping spots.The weather didn't really want to cooperate. I've been in Alberta almost eight years and was still dumbfounded at how it's almost June and we were in a winter freakin wonderland...lol.

The Fisherman Guy 05-30-2010 05:46 PM

It was fun

Tried my arse off this weekend to get a bear to the ground. Saw more bears yesterday than I did all season, one grizzly, a small colorphase, and a bigger blackie.

Sat in the treestand in the sleet for 8 hours, and just about died. Next bear treestand will be big enough for a small blind for sure. Saw the grizz in 324, on a lease road. He was on the move and fast, not too far from my bait site.

About 3 minutes later I encountered the small color bear. Had a shot at him, but he was in the bush about 150 out, and all I could see was his head just peering my way. I dropped to prone, and put my scope on him. I waited to see if he would pop out of the bushes, but instead he bolted.

With 20 mins left of legal yesterday, I saw some movement in the trees while in my stand. 60 or so yards out was a big black bear moving away from me through the trees. Only saw him for about 8 seconds, until he left my view. I waited for him to come back for about 10 mins, before I jumped out of the stand and went after him. Found his tracks, but he was gone.

So to wrap up spring bear 2010, I had an awesome time. Thank you fellas for all your advice, and answers to my questions.

To answer yours DMcKay, the bears were active yesterday with all the sleet and rain in our winter wonderland.

H380 05-30-2010 06:05 PM

Took my first archery bear yesterday inthe rain and snow in 324 , a19'' black that was with a nice chocolate sow, so yes bears do come out in the rain.. just wondering where everyone is seeing this griz in that zone hope it is a long way from my stands..

The Fisherman Guy 05-30-2010 08:11 PM

We saw a grizzly in the same area last deer season, but in 326 South East of Swan lake on the Swan Lake road. The bear we just saw was also near Swan lake. Could've been the same one? They were both big!

Our two sites that have been out since late April have not had any grizzly activity, verified by trail cams. We are heading out tomorrow to pull the baits, so I hope that big boarsterd moves on.

Nice work on your Chocolate bear, However I am going on a kitten killing rampage unless you post pics considering we were both hunting relatively the same areas. Please.

whitetailhntr 05-30-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy (Post 598682)
We saw a grizzly in the same area last deer season, but in 326 South East of Swan lake on the Swan Lake road. The bear we just saw was also near Swan lake. Could've been the same one? They were both big!

Our two sites that have been out since late April have not had any grizzly activity, verified by trail cams. We are heading out tomorrow to pull the baits, so I hope that big boarsterd moves on.

Nice work on your Chocolate bear, However I am going on a kitten killing rampage unless you post pics considering we were both hunting relatively the same areas. Please.

Sound like he shot a black boar that was with a choclate sow....But pics would be good for sure.

The Fisherman Guy 05-30-2010 08:22 PM

Yup, my mistake. Obviously still recovering from the sit of death yesterday in the snow. Pics of any bears from the same area I hunt are always good to see.

H380 05-30-2010 08:34 PM

Sorry guys I'm not great on the computer.. I'll get photos on as soon as kids get home to do it for me.. I'm hunting in Alfred Lake area..

Kootenai 05-30-2010 08:52 PM

They sure do! Pouring cats and dogs here and looking at the waves this afternoon crashing up on shore on our beach and along the beach walks a nice dark brown big black bear. I thought it was a young griz due to the darker color but am sure it was just a black. Wife snapped off some picks but with my dog barking like heck the bear did not hang around for the photo ops.

dmckay 05-30-2010 08:57 PM

I guess I just have no luck with bears. I saw and had run ins with bears all the time growing up in BC, but since I've been here, nothin. I would have been happy just to see a bear and get some pics. So far 0/2 Spring seasons. Maybe next year I'll try the baiting again. Spot and stalk not so much.

It's awesome to see all the bears taken on the forum......it gives a guy hope...lol