Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Need Clarification on Storage and Transport (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=67527)

citori 08-26-2010 07:25 PM

Need Clarification on Storage and Transport

Would one of you fine gentlemen clear up these two topics for me? Or direct me to legislation that contains this information?

1. What are the rules regarding storage of shotguns in the home? Do they need to have trigger locks? What if I disassemble my guns? Ammo needs to be in a different room?

2. When driving to a hunt, can my shotgun be in the vehicle (unloaded of course) without a trigger lock?

Your clarification would leave me forever in your debt...well not forever, but for a few minutes at least!

catnthehat 08-26-2010 07:55 PM

My guns are locked in a room, not need for a trigger lock.
When transporting you also do no need a trigger lock or even have the gun in a case.
There are exceptions of course, many municipalities have regulations regarding cased guns , and going through a Provincial park you need to have your gun cased.
Cat

timsesink 08-26-2010 08:02 PM

Catinthehat is on target. However if they re not in a locked room then trigger locks are required and ammo must be sperate. If your firearm is altered not to fire (i.e dissassembled) then there is no need to lock it as it has been rendered inoperable.

elkhunter11 08-26-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

However if they re not in a locked room then trigger locks are required and ammo must be sperate.
Trigger locks are not required if the gun is in a locked room,a safe,in a locked case,or if it is secured to a wall or solid object by a cable and lock.None of my non restricted firearms have ever had a trigger lock on them.

CNP 08-26-2010 08:34 PM

Print off a copy so you can refer to it...keep a copy in your gun case and truck.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...posage-eng.pdf

gramps73 08-26-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timsesink (Post 664406)
Catinthehat is on target. However if they re not in a locked room then trigger locks are required and ammo must be sperate. If your firearm is altered not to fire (i.e dissassembled) then there is no need to lock it as it has been rendered inoperable.

Can you show me where it says that they have to be in a locked room or trigger lock i can not find it. It does how ever say that they must be stored in a safe manner.

gramps73 08-26-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 664397)
My guns are locked in a room, not need for a trigger lock.
When transporting you also do no need a trigger lock or even have the gun in a case.
There are exceptions of course, many municipalities have regulations regarding cased guns , and going through a Provincial park you need to have your gun cased.
Cat

Cat
I have heard of the municipalities having different laws but why when they can not supersede federal law..
g73

citori 08-26-2010 09:36 PM

Thank you all, this was exactly what I was looking for.

noneck180 08-26-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramps73 (Post 664441)
Cat
I have heard of the municipalities having different laws but why when they can not supersede federal law..
g73

Municipality/Town supersedes Federal law on the amount of ammo and primers your allowed ...

I am also to the understanding that if you have a small safe or lock box for the bolts on a bolt gun..you can have the barreled action in a stock sitting in your living room.

Ormachek 08-27-2010 04:39 PM

According to federal law you must store your non-restricted guns

A) unloaded.
and(at least ONE of the following)
B)Rendered inoperable by removing the bolt or bolt carrier (oddly enough they don't say anything about you having to lock up the bolt after it's removed)

OR

a lock on the trigger or action, rendering the gun inoperable

OR

in a locked container or locked room that "cannot be easily broken into"

Ormachek 08-27-2010 04:41 PM

Ammo storage must be stored "separate" from guns, but may be stored in the same locked container as your guns.

Transporting non restricted's is very simple.

They must be unloaded. That is all. No trigger lock, case or anything else else is required UNLESS you are leaving them in the vehicle unattended, in which case they must be out of sight(put em in the trunk, cover them with you jacket, whatever no trigger lock required). That is all.

citori 08-27-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ormachek (Post 665163)
Ammo storage must be stored "separate" from guns, but may be stored in the same locked container as your guns.

Transporting non restricted's is very simple.

They must be unloaded. That is all. No trigger lock, case or anything else else is required UNLESS you are leaving them in the vehicle unattended, in which case they must be out of sight(put em in the trunk, cover them with you jacket, whatever no trigger lock required). That is all.

Thank you sir.:cheers:

twofifty 08-28-2010 09:38 PM

Black Powder

Interestingly, loaded Black Powder rifles/shotguns can be in your vehicle provided the other rules are followed, so long as you do not have a percussion cap on the nipple.