Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Banff Winter Spots (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=315680)

jaredmychal 02-22-2017 10:36 AM

Banff Winter Spots

Hi everyone.

First off I will say I am both new to the forum as well as the sport of fly-fishing in general. I've never been out before, but I was gifted a great little starter set for Christmas.

I am now itching to get out and try cast a bit. I live in Banff, and am wondering if there is anywhere in short distance from Banff that is a good spot to try out? Right now most of the Bow in Banff itself is frozen, but wondering if there is anywhere it may not be frozen? Any insight is really appreciated!

Thanks!

fishinhogdaddy 02-22-2017 01:02 PM

First thing, CHECK REGULATIONS.
Do you have a AB. fishing license? And a National Park license?
If fishing in the Park both are required.
The regulations will tell you what is open at this time of the year.

Don't be like the guy last week who posted pictures of his catch on here but was actually poaching because of not reading and understanding the regulations.
FHD

jaredmychal 02-22-2017 01:22 PM

Thanks this is good to know! I have my Parks license but not my Alberta one. I'll get that ASAP.

ÜberFly 02-22-2017 02:18 PM

Only need a National Park license if fishing within the park.

Only need a Alberta Sport Fishing permit (provincial), outside of the park.

Yes, be sure to check regulations!

ÜberFly 02-22-2017 02:20 PM

This is not correct (see above)!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinhogdaddy (Post 3478234)

cranky 02-22-2017 02:32 PM

Why not tie a piece of wool with no hook or something, even a piece of paper that dont weigh anything to the end of the line. And just find some area like a park or back alley or whatever and practice away. Best to make sure its on either grass or snow though so you dont wreck the line dragging it on dirt.
Dont need water or a license to practice casting at least till you figure you got the hang of it or even like it enough to get involved further. Its what i did anyway.

fishinhogdaddy 02-22-2017 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ÜberFly (Post 3478307)
This is not correct (see above)!

Fail...
Sorry Pete!

ÜberFly 02-22-2017 04:38 PM

Chalk it up as old age senility Rick!

:p

fishinhogdaddy 02-23-2017 08:09 AM

Do I know you.....:scared0015:

ÜberFly 02-23-2017 08:47 AM

Rick, Not me! You!!:snapoutofit:

biggyJ 02-23-2017 08:50 AM

Not sure about in the Park,

But there are some real nice spots right in Canmore, and downstream of Canmore. Which wouldn't be too far

You will need a Alberta fishing license to fish there.

jaredmychal 02-23-2017 01:03 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! Canmore sounds like a good place to look into. And I've been trying to practice in my yard when it's not too cold! It definitely helps!

Drewski Canuck 02-23-2017 02:21 PM

don't know you but I do owe you ... some guidance.

IF you are going to go fly fishing on the Bow in the winter, please wear a Life Jacket. An inflatable Mustang is not very cumbersome.

You will be standing on ice shelves for a lot of the time, and sometimes they break off. in you go, and if you are on a deep run, down you go. You probably will not freeze up instantly, but the cold water will sap you pretty quick, even in waders. That's when floatation helps.

You may get pulled under an ice shelf, so don't go alone, and have each of you and your buddy carry some rope. A set of Ice picks is also helpful in trying to get back up on an ice shelf.

Lastly, put on some ice cleats before walking out. the rocks will be slippery from the humidity and the ice is slick. Wader boots are not very grippy and a bad fall is not fun.

Drewski

ORVIS 02-23-2017 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck (Post 3479079)

IF you are going to go fly fishing on the Bow in the winter, please wear a Life Jacket. An inflatable Mustang is not very cumbersome.

You will be standing on ice shelves for a lot of the time, and sometimes they break off. in you go, and if you are on a deep run, down you go. You probably will not freeze up instantly, but the cold water will sap you pretty quick, even in waders. That's when floatation helps.

You may get pulled under an ice shelf, so don't go alone, and have each of you and your buddy carry some rope. A set of Ice picks is also helpful in trying to get back up on an ice shelf.

Lastly, put on some ice cleats before walking out. the rocks will be slippery from the humidity and the ice is slick. Wader boots are not very grippy and a bad fall is not fun.

Drewski

Thanks for this^ not enough people take it seriously!

fishinhogdaddy 02-24-2017 09:22 AM

X2

Ronji 02-24-2017 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck (Post 3479079)

Drewski

That is a great post. I learned a long time ago, to never trust ice shelves.

jaredmychal 02-25-2017 10:27 AM

I really appreciate that tip! Being new to Alberta and the mountains I probably wouldn't have thought of this.

Dom4 02-27-2017 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cranky (Post 3478318)
Why not tie a piece of wool with no hook or something, even a piece of paper that dont weigh anything to the end of the line. And just find some area like a park or back alley or whatever and practice away. Best to make sure its on either grass or snow though so you dont wreck the line dragging it on dirt.
Dont need water or a license to practice casting at least till you figure you got the hang of it or even like it enough to get involved further. Its what i did anyway.

X2 to this it helps in amounts i can not explain and can be fun to do as well! What i did was take a medium size fly and i cut the hook off and it made it feel like i was actually fishing in the park soccer field.:sHa_shakeshout:

professori 02-27-2017 08:28 AM

Take a hula hoop, or similar object with you and put it on the ground 30' away. When you get consistent hits, mve back 10' and continue. Use a tape measure, not simply pacing off the distance. It makes a huge difference to your confidence in accuracy of your distances.

cranky 02-28-2017 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by professori (Post 3481974)
Take a hula hoop, or similar object with you and put it on the ground 30' away. When you get consistent hits, mve back 10' and continue. Use a tape measure, not simply pacing off the distance. It makes a huge difference to your confidence in accuracy of your distances.

Good one. And bonus its a lot of fun too.

Sundancefisher 02-28-2017 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinhogdaddy (Post 3478234)
First thing, CHECK REGULATIONS.
Do you have a AB. fishing license? And a National Park license?
The regulations will tell you what is open at this time of the year.

Don't be like the guy last week who posted pictures of his catch on here but was actually poaching because of not reading and understanding the regulations.
FHD

Pretty sure just a park licence is needed in the park.

Mr Flyguy 02-28-2017 06:00 PM

Parks Canada website is pretty clear on license requirements...a provincial license is not valid or required, but a national parks license is, about $35 for the year.

Check out your fly inventory as well, looks like lead weighting is a no no!