Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Protect the Bighorn (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=325364)

Sylvan2019 07-13-2017 08:44 AM

Protect the Bighorn

Hi guys,

I posted this in general discussion, but thought a few of my fellow fishermen would be interested as well. A friend of ours is helping petition the Alberta government to create and improve guidelines to protect the Bighorn backcountry from irresponsible industrial and recreational activity. If this is something you can get behind, please take a couple of minutes to sign this petition. Thanks a bunch.

Freddy 07-13-2017 09:08 AM

I support responsible back country use. But i do not support protectionist ideals in closing or excluding back country use.
Will not sign this.

NUK SOO KOW 07-13-2017 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 3582684)
I support responsible back country use. But i do not support protectionist ideals in closing or excluding back country use.
Will not sign this.

X2. All about conservation but sure as hell not the plans Phillips has in place. Already ruined/ruining the castle.

SNAPFisher 07-13-2017 11:56 AM

Thanks for posting the link here.

BUSHRVN 07-13-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Will not sign this.

X2!

FlyTheory 07-13-2017 12:34 PM

This is important. I read and signed it.

trouthype 07-13-2017 12:52 PM

Thanks!

Albertadiver 07-13-2017 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Will not sign this.

This ^

More Y2Y influenced garbage.

Look at the bottom of the website. Anyone who supports this organization does not have the best interests of outdoorsmen and true conservationists at heart.

Do some research on who these folks really are, and what they really want.

JReed 07-13-2017 01:15 PM

From the web page..."The Bighorn also includes many sites that are important to different Indigenous nations because of their cultural, spiritual, and livelihood values"

Although I mostly fly-fish, I also hunt. This Y2Y off-chute, wants you to believe that they support hunting in these proposed protection areas, when in fact they want the hunting opportunities solely for indigenous people.

I don't have a problem with indigenous people hunting, just don't exclude everyone else in the province who pays taxes and wants the same opportunities.

crazy_davey 07-13-2017 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albertadiver (Post 3582804)
This ^

More Y2Y influenced garbage.

Look at the bottom of the website. Anyone who supports this organization does not have the best interests of outdoorsmen and true conservationists at heart.

Do some research on who these folks really are, and what they really want.

It's easier for some fools to jump on and sign than do any research.

Albertadiver 07-13-2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JReed (Post 3582806)
From the web page..."The Bighorn also includes many sites that are important to different Indigenous nations because of their cultural, spiritual, and livelihood values"

Although I mostly fly-fish, I also hunt. This Y2Y off-chute, wants you to believe that they support hunting in these proposed protection areas, when in fact they want the hunting opportunities solely for indigenous people.

I don't have a problem with indigenous people hunting, just don't exclude everyone else in the province who pays taxes and wants the same opportunities.

Not only that, they also want to reduce access as much as possible. Some people don't have quads or horses (like myself) but if you can't back-country camp, how is a person able to get to lakes to fish or a place to hunt that's 20km from the road without camping?

They get their start with a nice website like this, and then highlight some legitimate environmental concerns to get their toe in, and then next thing you know you have another Castle, Bob's Creek, Bow Valley(soon to come), etc.

Dr.Shortington 07-13-2017 01:52 PM

Honestly I read this and I don't even know what they are trying to do....goal is not clear and there is no way in hell I am signing.

sns2 07-13-2017 03:23 PM

Any petitions posted on this forum should be approved by admin to stay on the safe side. It will only take a few minutes and a pm. After doing some research, the goals of this group are somewhat nebulous, however, it is clear from their Twitter account that they are opposed to the new shooting range in Leduc County. Be careful what you attach your name to boys.