Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   pellet grills what are all you guys using (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=342497)

Dubious 04-04-2018 06:25 PM

pellet grills what are all you guys using

My trusty old propane grill has sizzled its last Sasuage and burnt its last Burger. the wheels have fallen off and the red clay brick replacement wheels are looking tired the stainless is now a tarnished steel from a few to many grease fires. Alas the propane tank has been left on for the last time and now I'm dreaming of new high smoke low burnt meaty dinners with less trips to the Costco man for gas. So what are you guys using whats a good buy and what's a grill gimmick.

elkhunter1234 04-04-2018 08:14 PM

Very happy with my GMG Jim Bowie..

Jim..

Ken H 04-05-2018 07:20 AM

Had my traeger for 7 years. Love it!!

7mmremmag 04-05-2018 07:35 AM

I bought my Green mountain grill last week.
I picked the Daniel Boone and got the blanket, cover, front rack etc.
I am super impressed so far.
Doing another prime rib tonight.
Easy to use, wifi feature works great.
Absolutely no complaints here

scesfiremedic 04-05-2018 07:43 AM

I've been using a GMG Davy Crockett for 2 years and love it!

canuckistanian 04-05-2018 08:20 AM

I've had a GMG Daniel Boone for 3 years and love it. Really consistent temperature with it and I typically run an amaze-n tube smoker inside to get more smoke. 1 pound of pellets in the tube smoker lasts around 5 hours which is great.

Dubious 04-05-2018 09:08 AM

Is there an Alberta dealer or are you ordering them over the border? I do like the wifi option the traeger has it but only on the 2500$ model

kens 04-05-2018 09:33 AM

www.primalsmokebbq.com

Is where I got mine.

rens27 04-05-2018 10:27 AM

Do you have to buy their pellets or will any pellet brand work?

kens 04-05-2018 10:57 AM

Any pellet will work, I'm sure some are of better quality than others.

tirebob 04-05-2018 11:13 AM

I have been using a Louisiana Grill pellet smoker since the summer and have a lot of big cooks on it already and it is very simple, convenient and solid. Bonus is that in Canada they are warehoused and shipped from Edmonton so makes me feel like I am supporting local to a degree.

Freerider 04-05-2018 11:19 AM

I have had my Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie for almost a year now love it. The Wifi is great I went with it because the more vertical side walls give it more space then a comparably priced traeger. Weiss Johnson fireplaces in Edmonton is a dealer but there are bunch of others.

Kafedawg 04-05-2018 11:23 AM

X2 on the Traeger. Look up Starline Sales in Leduc. He puts together a nice package deal for the same price as most places sell just the grill for...

KyleSS 04-05-2018 11:26 AM

Louisiana LG900
Canwik pellets from Canadian Tire $5.99/40 lbs
(yes they are food safe)

omega50 06-18-2018 02:02 AM

Wondering if the hoppers need to be maintained at a certain depth. Reading some reviews that stated some makes run out of pellets on one side if under 1/3 full and then a shut down and restart are required.

Is this a real issue?

Ken H 06-18-2018 06:30 AM

Just picked up my second Traeger grill. They are great. Had the first one for 7 years and it work flawlessly. Sold it and upgraded to the new Timberline 850 model.

Esox 06-18-2018 07:16 AM

Do the GMG get hot enough to sear a steak?

SamSteele 06-18-2018 09:16 AM

I've had a Traeger for 8 years and it has been pretty good. A couple repairs along the way, but I think that is to be expected. Since I bought mine the company ownership changed and manufacturing was sent overseas. I have helped family set up a number of the new ones and I feel like the quality has diminished. The metal is thinner and overall it seems less solid.

My wife and I have decided that if this Traeger ever gives up the ghost it will be replaced with either a GMG or Louisiana Grill. Both seem like more solid products than the new Traegers.

SS

DiabeticKripple 06-18-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esox (Post 3800260)
Do the GMG get hot enough to sear a steak?

Yes.

My cousin has a Davy Crockett and i had it up to 550 the other day to burn out all the grease and crap inside it.

Mike_W 06-18-2018 09:49 AM

I have a Pit Boss.
Made local and works great!

Stubb 06-18-2018 12:29 PM

I've had a GMG for a couple years now and liked it 90 percent of the time. Trouble was in winter on cold days it struggled to keep up. I know there's a blanket available and probably would've bought it but then i found a manufacturer in the US called Grilla Grills. They have two layers of steel in the belly of the bbq which is supposed to act like an insulator to keep some heat in when it's cold out. I picked it up a week ago and can say that it's built substantially heavier than the GMG. I think it cost $100 more than my gmg but from what i can see it's quite an upgrade. I haven't cooked on it yet so hopefully i am as equally impressed.

The only Canadian dealer is in Airdrie.

R3illy 06-18-2018 01:37 PM

:budo:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_W (Post 3800330)
I have a Pit Boss.
Made local and works great!

pitt boss is louisianas lower end brand. They arent made local. Id be surprised if the pitt bosses were even made in canada.

A Sittn Duck 06-18-2018 02:30 PM

i have a camp chef PG24 and its awesome. Just bought it a few months ago and I cook everything on it. Putting some real time in and I have zero complaints

sharpstick 06-18-2018 02:34 PM

Louisiana LG900
(yes they are food safe)

KyleSS, these pellets are specific to pellet stoves for heating purposes and they make no mention of using them for food grade BBQing on their website.
I spoke to many people that are on the BBQ circuit and not one of those guys would ever consider using these pellets for cooking with.
I know to some people, a wood fire is a wood fire, but I would not be recommending a product that is unintended for food grade.
I've searched to try and find what kind of wood they are made of and all the bag and website says is Hardwood. Every bag of pellets I have used and that are intended for cooking with states the exact type of wood they are made of. Hickory, Oak, Pecan, Cherry, Apple etc.
To each their own and I hope they are fine, but buyer beware, I would not risk it for feeding to my friends and family, let alone a BBQ competition.
And at $5.99/40lb bag VS any other BBQ pellet at $25-$50/40lb bag, I think that would raise enough red flags that they aren't intended for cooking with.

But enjoy, what do I know.

Cheers,
SS

Xbolt7mm 06-18-2018 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleSS (Post 3765204)
Louisiana LG900
(yes they are food safe)

NO!!!

KyleSS 06-18-2018 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm (Post 3800500)
NO!!!

YES!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

KyleSS 06-18-2018 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharpstick (Post 3800482)
Louisiana LG900
(yes they are food safe)

KyleSS, these pellets are specific to pellet stoves for heating purposes and they make no mention of using them for food grade BBQing on their website.
I spoke to many people that are on the BBQ circuit and not one of those guys would ever consider using these pellets for cooking with.
I know to some people, a wood fire is a wood fire, but I would not be recommending a product that is unintended for food grade.
I've searched to try and find what kind of wood they are made of and all the bag and website says is Hardwood. Every bag of pellets I have used and that are intended for cooking with states the exact type of wood they are made of. Hickory, Oak, Pecan, Cherry, Apple etc.
To each their own and I hope they are fine, but buyer beware, I would not risk it for feeding to my friends and family, let alone a BBQ competition.
And at $5.99/40lb bag VS any other BBQ pellet at $25-$50/40lb bag, I think that would raise enough red flags that they aren't intended for cooking with.

Cheers,
SS

If you did any research at all you would have found right on their website that it say they can be used in pellet bbq

KyleSS 06-18-2018 04:01 PM

Louisiana's LG brand isn't even made in Canada, it is made in China. Only the CS line by Louisiana is made in Canada
Quote:

Originally Posted by R3illy (Post 3800448)
:budo:

pitt boss is louisianas lower end brand. They arent made local. Id be surprised if the pitt bosses were even made in canada.

KyleSS 06-18-2018 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharpstick (Post 3800482)
Louisiana LG900
(yes they are food safe)

Cheers,
SS

It took me 2 minutes to dig this up on my phone. I can see you looked real hard. Also, if you dare look, it also say what wood their pellets are made of but the don't guarantee what % in each bag since it all depends on what kind of wood they are cutting. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...87747f8440.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4ea7087e3e.jpg

Xbolt7mm 06-18-2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleSS (Post 3800540)
It took me 2 minutes to dig this up on my phone. I can see you looked real hard. Also, if you dare look, it also say what wood their pellets are made of but the don't guarantee what % in each bag since it all depends on what kind of wood they are cutting. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...87747f8440.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4ea7087e3e.jpg

It says approved pellet bbqs, look for one that says you can use heating pellets in them smarty. I have GMG’s, a yoder and a gorilla and they all say no heating pellets, you use what you want, ill use what the grill manufacturer recommends