Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Canadian tire seems to have changed their tune a bit (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=320612)

nube 04-27-2017 03:50 PM

Canadian tire seems to have changed their tune a bit

Recent info from the ATA newsletter

2. Canadian Tire Removal of Fur Products:
The following update has been provided by Ian Stuart from Alberta Fish and Game Association…. A letter of
objection to the subject and multiple follow up phone calls later, I eventually got a cautiously worded response
back from Canadian Tire Corporation.
Canadian Tire’s response states that the claim by PETA on the “Victories” tab of their web site under the
banner “Huge Canadian Retailer drops fur!” was incorrect, that CT would continue to support hunting, fishing
ATA MEMBERS HIGHLIGHTS TO
APRIL 30, 2017
and trapping, and that the discontinuation of fur trimmed products in subsidiaries such as Sport check is due
to “customer feedback” (? ). It went on to state that Canadian Tire would ask PETA to remove the “Victory
claim” from their website.
I was pleasantly surprised to find that the latter action seems to have been done, as I could no longer find any
current reference to Canadian Tire on PETA’s web site while preparing for another follow up call. (Which I went
ahead with, thanking them for taking action).
AFGA certainly can’t take all the credit, as I know other organizations and individuals responded to Canadian
Tire, but collectively we seem to have made a difference. And it feels good to have been part of one small
victory for the consumptive conservation side!
Ian Stuart – Alberta Gish and Game Association

13mileranch 04-27-2017 04:48 PM

It doesn't look like they "changed their tune" rather they dealt with an inncorrect and inappropriate claim by PETA.

That being said good news it was clarified and put to bed.

CritterCommander 04-27-2017 06:50 PM

Good deal. Keep up the great work ATA!

13mileranch 04-27-2017 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CritterCommander (Post 3527588)
Good deal. Keep up the great work ATA!

Maybe read again. The ATA had dick all to do with it other than quoting the response. In fact please quote a direct response from the ATA... The quote was from the AFGA.

Camdec 04-27-2017 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13mileranch (Post 3527620)
Maybe read again. The ATA had dick all to do with it other than quoting the response. In fact please quote a direct response from the ATA... The quote was from the AFGA.

Canadian Tire or any other company is not going to change their policies based on the ATAs response. Good on the ATA or AFGA that informs the membership of the CT position. This motivates the membership to write CT, etc that perhaps influenced the change. Kudos to the original poster that brings this to the attention of interested parties on the AO forum. I wrote CT. And it changed my shopping habits. Perhaps I can resume shopping there again.

Okotokian 04-28-2017 12:50 PM

No disrespect meant at all for anyone that contacted Canadian Tire (good on you for trying), but I'm not sure what the victory is here. Canadian Tire is still dropping fur from their clothing subsidiaries because of public pressure. Peta's headline “Huge Canadian Retailer drops fur!” seems 100% accurate. All that happened is that Canadian Tire asked PETA to take the headline down so there would be no backlash against their folding. Color me confused.

Marty S 05-03-2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nube (Post 3527493)

...that CT would continue to support hunting, fishing and trapping, and that the discontinuation of fur trimmed products in subsidiaries such as Sport check is due
to “customer feedback” (? ). It went on to state that Canadian Tire would ask PETA to remove the “Victory
claim” from their website...

This really sounds to me like CT is simply trying to save face. Surely they realize that a significant portion of their income comes from sportsmen.

They are continuing their action, of being anti fur, but don't want to be accountable for it.

I think it's obvious that they realize that an actual association with PETA is going to hurt their reputation, however, they obviously seem be opposed to fur and bowing to personal wishes of the same people, PETA people, just not willing to make it official that they are supportive/endorsing of PETA's agenda against fur.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!

We, the sportsmen must step up and have an organized protest against Canadian Tire and it's subsidiaries. We need to get our facts in order to ensure we don't get sued, and then begin a real, authentic, organized boycott of the three stores, to such end that we are a highly visible and legitimate effort.

APAShooter 05-03-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okotokian (Post 3528126)
No disrespect meant at all for anyone that contacted Canadian Tire (good on you for trying), but I'm not sure what the victory is here. Canadian Tire is still dropping fur from their clothing subsidiaries because of public pressure. Peta's headline “Huge Canadian Retailer drops fur!” seems 100% accurate. All that happened is that Canadian Tire asked PETA to take the headline down so there would be no backlash against their folding. Color me confused.

This is exactly right... until they put out a statement saying they are going to go back to selling fur garments i'll never darken that door again.

backyard 05-03-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty S (Post 3531459)
This really sounds to me like CT is simply trying to save face. Surely they realize that a significant portion of their income comes from sportsmen.

They are continuing their action, of being anti fur, but don't want to be accountable for it.

I think it's obvious that they realize that an actual association with PETA is going to hurt their reputation, however, they obviously seem be opposed to fur and bowing to personal wishes of the same people, PETA people, just not willing to make it official that they are supportive/endorsing of PETA's agenda against fur.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!

We, the sportsmen must step up and have an organized protest against Canadian Tire and it's subsidiaries. We need to get our facts in order to ensure we don't get sued, and then begin a real, authentic, organized boycott of the three stores, to such end that we are a highly visible and legitimate effort.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on these points .... sportsmen are not the majority of there customers ... it in fact is a small portion of there profits, it is increasing but not that much....

as for protesting against them I will not for they are doing Canadians better then walmart or any other American company...

Marty S 05-04-2017 10:25 PM

Jim Gibb has made this statement on the Canadian Trapper Forum today...

Will have a statement to share with everyone in a couple of days, we the fur trade along with some powerful allies had a meeting on May 2nd with CTC in Toronto.

You can resume shopping at Canadian Tire.

I ask that you be a little more patience until we have the statement to share and as soon as I receive it I will post.

Jim